1965 FJ40 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It finally started on August 14, 2016. After years of debating how I was going to transport my father's beloved 1965 40 from one corner of the country to the other, I finally took action. While visiting my family for a week I decided to just start the restoration there at my parents' house. From what I can recall, the last time this thing ran was 1989. On a positive note, this 40 has at least been inside a shed and out of the weather since 1986. With the help of my brother-in-law and his Ram, we yanked the neglected Cruiser out of the shed and into my parents' garage.
As if I don't have enough automotive projects here at home in GA, I might as well have one when I go see the family.
So here is the plan:
Complete restoration - body off frame, sandblast, any body damage (not much, which is surprising) repaired and new paint
Disc brake/power brake conversion (ball and claw axle, will need to find later model axle)
Convert 3 on tree to 3 on floor
Find a 2F to overhaul and convert to 2FE
Add a roll bar
Locking diffs - front and rear.
This project is taking place in WA, the Portland/Vancouver area to be exact. Hoping to meet fellow Cruiserheads along the way. Here are a few pics. Got the front end torn down in about 6 hrs. Had to fly back to Atlanta the next day.

40inshed.jpg

Mopartotherescue.jpg

40flat.jpg

0814161338a_HDR.jpg

40td7.jpg

Let me be the first to congratulate you on the old cruiser, great lookin ol rig.. Almost a free barn find.. ha..

Gaz...

definitely a 65... nice looking truck... the only year that had the slanted air intake for the heater

what was the sticker that used to be on the guillotine rear doors? do you have any old pics of the truck?
Here is the sticker that is on the back. Was on there when my dad bought it, which was roughly 1976.
I'll have to ask my mother if she can find any old photos of it.
Kind of a sad background story as to how it ended up in this condition. One of those "hindsight is 20/20" type things.

download.jpg

Nice truck. What part of Georgia do you live?

the dodah man iconic symbol of the 70's ... my father had a few stickers (he was a trucker) the creator got screwed over thru the years of all the bootleg and copies of his truckin character ... should have accepted Toyota's offer to use the imagery for their ad campaign... think 74?

I'd be tempted to polish that up and drive it! :)

Sweet..

BTW, the three on the tree is so hideously awesome I'd try to keep it. Confuse the crap out of people who think it's an auto with three pedals.

image.jpeg
It finally started on August 14, 2016. After years of debating how I was going to transport my father's beloved 1965 40 from one corner of the country to the other, I finally took action. While visiting my family for a week I decided to just start the restoration there at my parents' house. From what I can recall, the last time this thing ran was 1989. On a positive note, this 40 has at least been inside a shed and out of the weather since 1986. With the help of my brother-in-law and his Ram, we yanked the neglected Cruiser out of the shed and into my parents' garage.
As if I don't have enough automotive projects here at home in GA, I might as well have one when I go see the family.
So here is the plan:
Complete restoration - body off frame, sandblast, any body damage (not much, which is surprising) repaired and new paint
Disc brake/power brake conversion (ball and claw axle, will need to find later model axle)
Convert 3 on tree to 3 on floor
Find a 2F to overhaul and convert to 2FE
Add a roll bar
Locking diffs - front and rear.
This project is taking place in WA, the Portland/Vancouver area to be exact. Hoping to meet fellow Cruiserheads along the way. Here are a few pics. Got the front end torn down in about 6 hrs. Had to fly back to Atlanta the next day.

View attachment 1321455

View attachment 1321456

View attachment 1321458

View attachment 1321459

View attachment 1321460

Sweet! I also just pulled a blue 65 fj40 out of a barn last weekend, too.

Since your doing a frame off, have you considered bringing it back to stock condition?

definitely a 65... nice looking truck... the only year that had the slanted air intake for the heater

Both my '65 lpbs have the slanted intake, but my 65 40 does not.

:meh:

Last edited:
View attachment 1321607

Since your doing a frame off, have you considered bringing it back to stock condition?

Wow, that's a nice find. Always good stuff out there if you look hard enough.
Stock restoration would be simpler, but there are a few items that are too archaic to me. I'm still considering overhauling the F engine. I would still have to do an EFI setup, I'm not a carburetor person. I have to at least have front disc brakes, power steering, and lockers. I do want to take it off road, but I've dialed back my grandiose plans for some super trail rig. I have an 85 4Runner that I've built into a pretty stout off roader, so it takes care of the more intense trail needs. 40s are still hot right out of the box, a few tweaks and they really get the job done.

BTW, the three on the tree is so hideously awesome I'd try to keep it. Confuse the crap out of people who think it's an auto with three pedals.

Nowadays, just having 3 pedals confuses most people; well here in the US of A(utomatics).
I can't do 3 on the tree. When I was in college, a good friend did a beautiful restoration of a 53 Chevy, 237 L6, 3 on the tree (non synchro first like the 40). It was neat, but so clunky and awkward to me. I'm way too spoiled by floor shifters.

Awesome find!! Keep us posted on the updates.

I can remember getting into these in the early '90's and being a die hard '79-'83 FJ40 pursuer bypassing a TON of beautiful 60's and early 70's 40 series which could have been purchased for a fraction of the price that basket cases get today. I kick myself now because I thought the later ones were the bees knees. Boy have times changed for me.

View attachment 1321607

Check you VIN my guess it's earlier and really a 64. 65 had the longer running boards.

I have that same 63 plate that came on a very poor shape 61 from WA.

Congratulations, you won't be sorry. Especially with the family history.

It looks like it has no latches on hood for the windshield when folded down or the rubber bumpers. I have a 65 FJ40 FST with the same hood configuration. (No latches or bumpers). However, I see some FJ40's the same year with them.

Does anyone know why there is the difference.

Congratulations, you won't be sorry. Especially with the family history.

It looks like it has no latches on hood for the windshield when folded down or the rubber bumpers. I have a 65 FJ40 FST with the same hood configuration. (No latches or bumpers). However, I see some FJ40's the same year with them.

Does anyone know why there is the difference.

I always assume a post-delivery mis-match. A lot of accidents can happen in 50 years. My Oct '64lpb was a heater model. But my 64 lpb windshield frame has hand-cut holes for the defrost, and is a different shade of blue under the respray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom