Vacuum controller for the 4 WD , how to use - 1965 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,
I have a custom vacuum switch in my 65FJ( photo). Yes it’s very old school. The Vacuum hoses are attached to the transfer case under the FJ. I believe the vacuum system is functional. I’ve never operated a vacuum and want to know how it works.
toggle left, 2WD - Toggle right 4WD?
does the vacuum replace using the pull down lever to engage 4WD?
do I still lock the hubs prior to engaging the vacuum?

I always appreciate the Groups feedback.

IMG_0888.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

Not a fan of vacuum activated devices, I would use the "kit" and convert it to a direct lever myself.

IIRC the vacuum controlled the 2w to 4w shifting, high and low range was separate direct system.

hubs need to be locked
turn switch, that will go from 2wd to 4wd
should be a lever that will go from 4H-N-4L

you can leave the hubs locked in the winter and go in and out of 4wd as needed around town, longer trips I would unlock them

are there 2 lines going to the transfer case?
you need vacumn to move both directions 2wd to 4wd and then 4wd back to 2wd

If working then all is good,
I prefer the clean trans hump with no levers sticking out of it

I like the vacuum activated 4WD for much the same reasons that other outmoded features put a smile on my face. It is cool when 53 year-old non--technology still works as intended. In a world of automation and self-driving cars, it is nice to hop in the way back 40 series that isn't idiot proof. Manual choke, manual locking front hubs, hood latches that will bite you if you forget and cruise along.... Just don't do like I did and accidently activate the 4WD when I thought I was opening the cowl vent while going about 40 mph!;)

You should a light on the dash that will light when in 4WD. Since the valve is custom which way is what depends on how the hoses are connected.

I personally like the vacuum operated 4WD. It was always used in a 40 series in some markets. When the high/low ranges were controlled from the dash the vibration wasn't an issue like the floor mounted lever. I also never had a problem switching to 4WD while driving. Driving straight with foot of the accelerator pedal I pull the knob it always smoothly switches to 4WD. My FJ62 which is vacuum operated 4WD takes a lot longer switch into 4WD. The vacuum switch is no where near as robust as the one used in the 40 series.

I like the vacuum activated 4WD for much the same reasons that other outmoded features put a smile on my face. It is cool when 53 year-old non--technology still works as intended. In a world of automation and self-driving cars, it is nice to hop in the way back 40 series that isn't idiot proof. Manual choke, manual locking front hubs, hood latches that will bite you if you forget and cruise along.... Just don't do like I did and accidently activate the 4WD when I thought I was opening the cowl vent while going about 40 mph!;)
😎

You should a light on the dash that will light when in 4WD. Since the valve is custom which way is what depends on how the hoses are connected.

I personally like the vacuum operated 4WD. It was always used in a 40 series in some markets. When the high/low ranges were controlled from the dash the vibration wasn't an issue like the floor mounted lever. I also never had a problem switching to 4WD while driving. Driving straight with foot of the accelerator pedal I pull the knob it always smoothly switches to 4WD. My FJ62 which is vacuum operated 4WD takes a lot longer switch into 4WD. The vacuum switch is no where near as robust as the one used in the 40 series.
Grateful for the input!

hubs need to be locked
turn switch, that will go from 2wd to 4wd
should be a lever that will go from 4H-N-4L

you can leave the hubs locked in the winter and go in and out of 4wd as needed around town, longer trips I would unlock them

are there 2 lines going to the transfer case?
you need vacumn to move both directions 2wd to 4wd and then 4wd back to 2wd

If working then all is good,
I prefer the clean trans hump with no levers sticking out of it
Great feedback. I’ve got 2 lines into the transfer case, so 2WD and 4WD are set up. I’ll lock the hubs and try it out.

Completely agree with the old school operation in a new school world.

You don’t need to lock the hubs to test. If the system is working, the front driveshaft will be locked to the transfer case and won’t spin. It’s actually preferable to test this way, because it helps narrow down variables in the diagnostic process.

I've owned a number of old 4x4's over the years including the three current ones listed on my signature. All have had manual locking hubs, and transfer cases with shift levers. This has been my preference, I like the reliability ( real or perceived) and also the ritual that is part of owning an old four wheel drive vehicle. My wife's car has on demand all wheel drive it always feels a bit strange to me when I push that button. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom