Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Dom - no rush, you can disregard too if need be. I’m going to remake the sill to about 2.5” O-O which gives me 17.5” from top of gate to bottom of sill hinge flange, which matches the tailgate and hinge I have. The floor pieces I’ve already welded in place will still work good enough. This pic from a bit ago when I was checking the bed to frame mounts looks like there‘s plenty of room for that sill height.
IMG_3218 2.jpg

Hard to get much done today - it was 99-deg in the shop 😓 .

......has Manni Maulschlüssel arrived in your boooooooonies, Sir ?
Yesterday afternoon he refueled my plane and left Duckburg & upup in the sky
Manni Maulschlüssel #45#7738997720#5# 2.png

Last edited:
No Manni yet.

on edit: I saw him fly over a bit ago but didn’t land. Looks like he‘s headed to Sun Valley to take a look at Tom Hank’s FJ40 that’s for sale.

Last edited:
Good morning, Sir
I forgot that Manni told me he was going to Hawaii first. Vacation to watch whales on the coast of Maui.
I checked his room to see if he took his red rubber dinghy... yes, he did.

Vacation for Manni is ok ........ he is a good guy!
Manni`s approach recorded by the Hawaiian tower control & mailed to me.
Manni Can-image-4 X .jpeg

.........and the story continues ..@..my Einbeck thread ..... #321

Last edited:
Test fit home built (is there anything else 😝) sill. Good enough for government work.
IMG_3269.JPG

Looks like the taller sill (2.5”) has enough clearance for the lower spare tire mount bolts. What I thought was the sill height (2.1”) wouldn’t. But I didn’t have any of the sill left at the gate, only some on the side. So I guessed (again) that the sill tapers down from 2.5” at the gate area to 2.1” at the sides, which is what I did. Seems to work. Only the 2.5” part sits on the frame (rear cross member). The shorter sides match the height of the bed cross members, giving ithem more bearing surface to transfer bed loads to the side, and frame. I guess 😂.
IMG_3270.JPG

On a lighter note, occasionally I have to clear the deck and put away all the tools. So I can drag them all out again. Anal is that anal does. During one of the many sub-projects my principal work/welding/smashing table is piled to the rafters with tools, parts, scrap, dirt, crap, etc. I cleaned today 😂.
IMG_3271.JPG

It's always good to do a "reset" and put the tools back to their home base, sweep up and just admire how much work surface is available after you clean up.

On a lighter note, occasionally I have to clear the deck and put away all the ......... I cleaned today 😂.View attachment 2745179

.....have I told you that Manni CAN beam him up into any virtual room ... in yours 4 example .... but only 4 about 45 seconds....
......than he must beam him back into the real live....that`s Mauii @ the moment .....the whales are waiting 4 Manni !
image---Manni who else#45#-image.png

Need help. @whitey45 @ClemsonCruiser @DomSmith @tahoe40/45 @wngrog

Here‘s the spare tire mount partially bolted in place. The upper mount holes are there and the heavy support bracket on the inside is there. The bed where the lower holes (and sill) were at was gone from rust. Looks like it will fit with my rebuilt substructure, including the locking clamp. Good thing I went with taller rear sill build.
IMG_3275.JPG

But, the tire carrier won’t swing to closed position because of the tailgate latch bracket. I think this spare tire mount is from an FJ40 (John @pardion ? ). So don’t know if this needs a different spare tire carrier with those tailgate latches?
IMG_3277.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG

I posted way back a frame picture (in quote below) that shows that there are hinge mounts and the rear cross member clevis in place for an under bed carrier. This is an early ‘63, so really a ‘62. How did the FST‘s carry their spare tire?

One thing for sure is that that year would have had a tire carrier on the passenger side.

I put a FJ40 carrier on a 1963 FJ45 and it fit and all worked. It was that brown turd that came through here

I don’t have any good pics though

CEE01BEC-7D86-4B5F-814C-6DCAD2870BC6.jpeg

That is the passenger side (bed is upside down).

So your @wngrog tailgate latch bracket looks completely different than mine. Mine’s a lot longer, so that’s the issue.
1B2DAF90-C913-4E23-84D8-D1EE2EDA5832.jpeg

Wonder what’s up with these longer and thicker brackets? Both sides are the same. Maybe they can be cut?

Anybody got some extra stock ones if these aren’t stock? @pardion

Last edited:
@whitey45 notch? The one on my ‘65 40 has a notch on the top edge to clear the corrugated hardtop rib.

I see the need for that now John @pardion. I guess I can cut a notch in mine here (that’s the hinge centerline marked in blue on the bottom of the sill).
197A7590-51CF-4569-B5D6-22E6B269E6C4.jpeg

Thanks @tahoe40/45 that would be great. Looks like it needs to deal with the whole width of the hinge, I was just thinking the flange part that attaches to the sill.

Actually Dom @DomSmith I could use measurement “A” in my attached CATIA 😆 drawing. Also, is the tailgate surface level with the bed deck when open? I’m assuming the tailgate top aligns with the bed top rail.View attachment 2741769

I measured 14-3/4” from what I had left of my setup. Looks like it needs to be more like 15”.

A2F39FE9-6034-4B00-ADC1-CB88D93001FF.jpeg

I hope this helps. Tailgate top aligns with the bed top rail. My tailgate hangs down slightly because it only has 1 chain and the chain is bent.

3D244FC6-344B-410F-9351-AF7968E528D4.jpeg

DCBDCAF2-2014-48CE-AE76-1826710A96EA.jpeg

@middlecalf I’d be willing to loan you my tailgate latches so you could have copies made. PM me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom