Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This will be fun making fit.
IMG_3314.JPG

Outside looks good
IMG_3313.JPG

So I actually do know how to bolt things together, not just bugger weld them 😂.

Kind of pedestrian, but this is what this rig will be used for, hauling schmatta for the cows. I can only carry two of the 200-lb keylix tubs in the 40 (volume restricted, not weight so much). This will allow me to carry four (800 lbs.) plus fence posts, pounder, puller, salt blocks, etc. That will cut my transit trips in half! I put out 8-10 tubs a week scattered around the sagebrush hills, each trip takes about 2-hrs at 5mph in 4wd 😂.
IMG_3320.JPG

That’s a 5-1/2‘ t-post on the fender, so I’ll build a wood rack over the fender to carry a pile of posts up and out of the way. (If I was a normal retired person that rack would carry my Spey fly rods in their tubes, correct @rkymtnflyfisher? But I’m not normal, just stupid).

Toting around a bunch of fly rods is more fun than carrying a bunch of t-posts!

Last edited:
And using those fly rods is way more fun than pounding in t-posts. Some day I’ll get my life straightened out.

This might be a metaphor…
IMG_3336.JPG

… for this 😂.
IMG_3337.JPG

Don’t know if this thread gets enough attention to ask this but here goes anyhow. This hole is an access for one of the bed to frame mount bolts. If not plugged, it drains directly into the hat channel cross member below. Good source of water, bad source of rust. It’s about 1.32” or 33.5mm in diameter. I don’t have a 45 parts book. What did Toyota use as a plug, if any, and any ideas as to something workable as this being a bed it will get stuff dragged across it.
IMG_3340.JPG

@ToyotaMatt @whitey45 @cppilot @3_puppies @pardion @67azcruizr any ideas?

Don’t know if this thread gets enough attention to ask this but here goes anyhow. This hole is an access for one of the bed to frame mount bolts. If not plugged, it drains directly into the hat channel cross member below. Good source of water, bad source of rust. It’s about 1.32” or 33.5mm in diameter. I don’t have a 45 parts book. What did Toyota use as a plug, if any, and any ideas as to something workable as this being a bed it will get stuff dragged across it.
View attachment 2775920

@ToyotaMatt @whitey45 @cppilot @3_puppies @pardion @67azcruizr any ideas?

i have OEM 32mm and 35mm size hole spec. solid blanking grommets

Holes are factory. Several rigs have that hole incl. Jim C’s barn find 45 (he sold it) and @dmaddox ’s early 45 too (also sold), here‘s a pic from his build. Looks like it has a plug too.
1630634127604.jpeg

Matt @ToyotaMatt are those grommets plastic or nylon?

Last edited:
My bad, early fixed top had the hole, the removable top shorty didnt.( John, how are things up your way? Looks like the fire is headed south east of tahoe! What a crazy couple weeks! Cali is burning up!

My bad, early fixed top had the hole, the removable top shorty didnt.( John, how are things up your way? Looks like the fire is headed south east of tahoe! What a crazy couple weeks! Cali is burning up!
We did ok, went up today to ash every ware. Fire was 2 miles away.
Back in action soon. Thanks for asking.

We did ok, went up today to ash every ware. Fire was 2 miles away.
Back in action soon. Thanks for asking.

My thoughts are with you and
Your family john …

They are shaped exactly the the fuel tank drain plug ones I offer

if u install upside down they Will not catch any water

You know FJ40 ,s have removable body drain plugs

and maybe this is like a modern pickup and is a intentional body drain

service hole ?

That was indeed sealed with a plug or service grommet of some kind ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom