Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Starting some conversation with @Coolerman about this wiring harness and getting it in his queue. I’ll have to get him some dimensions for the modification to the rear harness length and the fuel sending unit (vs FJ25) but also had a few questions maybe some of you have answers:
  1. How/where was the Vader light switched in 1960?
  2. I’ve got an LV/55 dome light to use thanks to @Land Cruiser Junky, I can see that this had one at one point Based on a mounting plate present on the ceiling. How would this have been switched? My LV doesn't have a dome light so I'm not sure how it was originally.
  3. for the semaphores it appears to me these are just hardwired, and they only turn on when the mechanical cable-operated switch opens them up to create a connection. To me it seems like perhaps this should be my only turn signal . Wouldn’t make sense to have two signal switches right? But then I wonder if these blinked, and should I have it wired to the flasher relay somehow?
  4. I found a 6-post non-USA light switch. Is this how the fog lights should be switched, with the extra position on it? Or did the fog lights have a separate switch and if so where was it mounted?
  5. Based on the pink 28VA it doesn’t look like these ever had a pintle hitch or trailer wiring plug - @cruiserdan does yours have evidence of either of those? The bumper on the VA looks like an LV bumper, and I don't see any evidence of a trailer harness on Lara.
  6. I'm assuming I figure out the denso clamshell heater previously discussed - I don't think I've actually seen a switch for one of these things before. I think I'm planning on just using a generic somewhat toyota looking pull switch like this one that's mounted below dash to turn it on unless someone has info that should steer me elsewhere? Didn't want to put an extra hole in the dash.
Otherwise I think it should be the same as a 25. Anything else I'm forgetting?

Please share if you have any lead on 6 post light switch. I am hunting one for myself. there are evidences of a seprate fog light switch as well.

1: Vader light was connected to the light switch, cant remember which post its connected to, ill look.

2: dome light switch is on the light on a LV

not sure about other questions

Please share if you have any lead on 6 post light switch. I am hunting one for myself. there are evidences of a seprate fog light switch as well.
Got any photos of the separate fog switch? I haven't been able to find any info on that so I figured it must have been the OUSA 6-terminal switch that would do it. I noticed in the 25 electrical manual the FA truck wiring diagram shows fog lights and a separate fog switch though, so I guess it must have existed? I'll keep an eye out for another switch for ya, felt pretty lucky finding one.
1: Vader light was connected to the light switch, cant remember which post its connected to, ill look.

Thanks, will have to take a closer look at the dome switch I hadn't noticed a switch on it, that would make that easy.

Last edited:
Hope everyone is healthy this morning!
After emailing with Nathan about his harness needs, I have decided to build the wiring harness set for this vehicle. It is just to cool to pass up!

After reading through the thread again this morning, it looks like there were a lot of electrical options available for the FJ28. Since the harness I will base this build on is the basic FJ25, I will need the help of you experts on getting the wiring correct for these options that will end up on this truck.

Electrical Questions/Issues
Semaphores: You stated they light up when manually actuated with the cable switch? Can you post a pic of how that is done? Is there an electrical switch built into the cable actuator that sends +12V to each light? I will need to know where you plan to mount that switch.

FYI I can easily make those semaphores blink in concert with the front and rear turn lights if that is how you want it to work.

Reverse Light
The schematics I have for the FJ25 do not show a reverse light or a reverse light switch. Anyone have any further information on this?
Someone mentioned they had a tranny with a reverse light switch on it. Can you post a pic of that? This is easily added to the harness wiring, but finding out where the power was fed from should be fun...

Electric Wipers
I know the FJ25 had those as an option. Are you planning on using the vacuum wipers or finding electric ones? I would need to know if you want electric so I could add the power wire for the wiper switch to the harness.

Dome Light
When you took apart the truck, what path did the dome light wire take? Was it across the top above the door then down through the windshield or some other path?

Battery
Can you post a wide angle shot of where the battery is located? It appears to be under the passenger seat?

Hazard lights
Don't know if Hazard lights were an option or not, just saw it mentioned in a post above.
If you are interested, I can add the ability to have Hazard lights using the 1968 FJ40 method. This was a standalone harness that plugged into the existing turn signal connectors and uses a separate flasher.

Fog lights
You mentioned a 6 terminal headlight switch for possible use for the Fog Light Switch? I always thought the Fog lights were switched with a separate under dash switch.

6 terminal Head Light Switch
Got a pic of this 6 terminal switch? What is the 6th terminal labeled? The other 5 should be L, H, P, M, S...

That's it for now!

Mark aka Coolerman

The M terminal.

Hope everyone is healthy this morning!
After emailing with Nathan about his harness needs, I have decided to build the wiring harness set for this vehicle. It is just to cool to pass up!

After reading through the thread again this morning, it looks like there were a lot of electrical options available for the FJ28. Since the harness I will base this build on is the basic FJ25, I will need the help of you experts on getting the wiring correct for these options that will end up on this truck.

Electrical Questions/Issues
Semaphores: You stated they light up when manually actuated with the cable switch? Can you post a pic of how that is done? Is there an electrical switch built into the cable actuator that sends +12V to each light? I will need to know where you plan to mount that switch.

FYI I can easily make those semaphores blink in concert with the front and rear turn lights if that is how you want it to work.

Reverse Light
The schematics I have for the FJ25 do not show a reverse light or a reverse light switch. Anyone have any further information on this?
Someone mentioned they had a tranny with a reverse light switch on it. Can you post a pic of that? This is easily added to the harness wiring, but finding out where the power was fed from should be fun...

Electric Wipers
I know the FJ25 had those as an option. Are you planning on using the vacuum wipers or finding electric ones? I would need to know if you want electric so I could add the power wire for the wiper switch to the harness.

Dome Light
When you took apart the truck, what path did the dome light wire take? Was it across the top above the door then down through the windshield or some other path?

Battery
Can you post a wide angle shot of where the battery is located? It appears to be under the passenger seat?

Hazard lights
Don't know if Hazard lights were an option or not, just saw it mentioned in a post above.
If you are interested, I can add the ability to have Hazard lights using the 1968 FJ40 method. This was a standalone harness that plugged into the existing turn signal connectors and uses a separate flasher.

Fog lights
You mentioned a 6 terminal headlight switch for possible use for the Fog Light Switch? I always thought the Fog lights were switched with a separate under dash switch.

6 terminal Head Light Switch
Got a pic of this 6 terminal switch? What is the 6th terminal labeled? The other 5 should be L, H, P, M, S...

That's it for now!

Mark aka Coolerman
Mark, thanks so much for taking this project on! I'll work on getting those semaphores out and maybe get a video over to you or something to show how they operate. That would be awesome if they could blink!

I need to decide if the reverse light is going to be used on this truck, if we decide to put it on I think it has to be on a switch under the dash though since we confirmed there is no reverse switch on the transmission.

The wipers will definitely be vacuum, non-electric version.

The truck didn't have any dome light present when I got it, I'm guessing it should follow the route that the LV or the 55 used but I'm not sure what that is, maybe someone else can chime in. My guess would be that it goes up the B-pillar and over? And I did confirm it has its own switch.

The battery is different from the 25 in that it is under the passenger side seat - the body and frame are separated now but here are a few photos so you can see where the access is, as well as the tray on the chassis. I can get you dimensions just let me know what reference point you need.

I don't think there was any hazard light on the 20 series, someone please correct me if I am wrong. If it wasn't offered from the factory then I don't want to add it.

I have not seen any under-dash fog switch on any early cruisers, but if it exists I will keep an eye out for them. I did see that the 25 wiring diagram shows a separate switch so it must have existed. I saw this one posted on mud a long while ago from Egypt but it didn't really look like a Toyota switch, maybe it was though? I'm attaching a photo (borrowed from another member, can't recall who sorry!) of the 6-terminal vs the 5-terminal light switch. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but as soon as I get it I'll snap a high-res photo of the terminal labels. It might be helpful for me to just ship that switch to you once I get it so you can see first-hand what each position does. I'm trying not to clutter up the dash too much with switches so I'm hoping that this will work for the fog lights. If not, I'll find an under-dash switch for them. Maybe something generic and period-correct looking so that if that unicorn part falls in my lap someday, I can just swap it out.

Thanks again Mark!

IMG_7998.JPG

IMG_7997.JPG

IMG_7985.JPG

PHOTO-2020-03-21-23-35-11.jpg

IMG_8007.JPG

Last edited:
Dome light is grounded at the light, power runs to B-pillar, drivers side, then across to A-pillar on drivers side, then into a tube that brings it down to behind the dash ( that is how it runs on a 45 LV )

No hazards on 20 series

Last edited:
Mark, here's a video of the Semaphores working. Pretty cool! The ground is actually made on the mechanical cable switch which will be mounted to the dash, so all we need is 12v at each semaphore. Making them flash would be great.

Also received the GM fuel pump & filter combo today, unfortunately the pump is quite a bit smaller than the Kyosan - about 0.75". It's a pretty cool unit, but will probably just go with the separate Toyota pump & filter. Anybody interested in this part? It was worth a shot.

IMG_8977.jpg

Last edited:
Just a dumb question. How do the semaphores handle being open at speed? Was there a reason why the blinkers and the semaphores were not connected? I think it would be cool if they were connected but Just wondering how they handle at 55 mph while changing lanes.
Good question, maybe that’s why they had both semaphores and turn signals? Maybe you don’t put them out unless you’re just driving around on surface streets. And we don’t know that they weren’t connected to the flasher really, since all we have is the USA wiring diagram. I imagine they would have been.

Last edited:
I was looking through my 28L pics this morning and noticed l how different these two 28s are. From the door shape to body shape. The green has the flat rear wheel cut out and the blue has the round, but this green one looks much older. Does anyone remember the years of these two?

IMG_20170915_095831~2.jpg
IMG_8229.jpg

Those are quite different! The green one is the 2-door one that FJ Co has, and the blue one looks like it's a 4-door so maybe thats the only difference? Maybe they just made the rear of the 2 vs the 4 door differently (why? seems strange). Lara's doors look like the blue one.

Look at the weird top on the FJ Co one!!

1586530516447.jpeg

1586530771382.png

They are completely different bodies. The green has a narrower body at the bottom, only 2 ribs, and that top is taller. Check out that above the windshield air vents! Too cool. The blue one has no brow over the windshield and the green brow sticks out further than my '65 LVs brow.

Last edited:
Green has the round badge. I thought it looked older.

It's amazing how many body changes were made on the 28 in just 5 years. I don't wanna highjack your thread but I have pictures of probably 6 different 28s and it seems there's something different on all of them. This green 28 is definitely the most unique though.

Last edited:
Not hijacking this is as good a place as any for 28 photos! The green one is funky that’s for sure. Reminds me of some of the aftermarket fiberglass tops I’ve seen on Colombian trucks.

it is strange that Gifu didn’t use the same doors in the rear at least. Seems like that would have made manufacturing easier!

Door handle location difference too.

Could be it's one of the first 28 models made and Gifu was still figuring things out. Was anyone else making bodies back in the 50s in South America?

Probably they made small badges in those years and changed things each badge.
The LV also had regular changes through its short life.

That's right, even both of my '65 LVs were different where the door jamb weatherstripping fin met the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom