Builds 10 years with the 74/after-the-fact build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ARB fridge slide didn't bring the fridge out far enough to lift the lid very high without hitting the top of the storage, so we cut a flap to allow better access. I'm trying some rare earth magnets I found at Lee Valley Tools to hold it shut.
One magnet held it pretty firmly closed, but they came in a 2 pack so may as well use 'em...

49711126872_903bf51e4f_c.jpg

49711127352_c165aede3b_c.jpg

With both of them installed, you have to give the flap a sharp rap to break it free. If you pull up slowly, the chintzy L brackets will bend!

Need to get it out on a rough road and see if they're going to rattle or break free, but I doubt it.
The awning will also provide some downforce when cruising at triple digit speeds! <smile>

Wow what a read, thank you so much for putting together such a great post, pictures and insight to a beautiful truck build. It has certainly inspired me to do a few things on my truck and to be really, really mindful of RUST. Thanks again a great write up

Wow what a read, thank you so much for putting together such a great post, pictures and insight to a beautiful truck build. It has certainly inspired me to do a few things on my truck and to be really, really mindful of RUST. Thanks again a great write up

Thanks! - yeah rust is the enemy. I know your new truck has a little, I would sure fix it quick and then make friends with my old pals Fluid Film and Boeshield :lol:
After any bodywork pull your interior panels and spray inside... if you use fluid film the truck will stop smelling like sheep within a few weeks. We use an electric paint sprayer and buy FF by the gallon to do the undercarriage, work great.

Glad Bill's 74 found a good home, and it's sure nice that it stayed local. Hope you'll come out to some Coastal Cruiser meetings once things open up again.

Thanks! - yeah rust is the enemy. I know your new truck has a little, I would sure fix it quick and then make friends with my old pals Fluid Film and Boeshield :lol:
After any bodywork pull your interior panels and spray inside... if you use fluid film the truck will stop smelling like sheep within a few weeks. We use an electric paint sprayer and buy FF by the gallon to do the undercarriage, work great.

Glad Bill's 74 found a good home, and it's sure nice that it stayed local. Hope you'll come out to some Coastal Cruiser meetings once things open up again.
Yes we are dealing with the rust now - there is not a lot but some - we have redone the window seals, replacing quarter panel, and doing some paint work after - will fluid film inside also, -- yes certainly plan in going to Coastal Cruiser meetings when we can again. Cheers

My calendar tells me today is my 15th(!) anniversary with the BJ74, and 30 years of driving 70 series cruisers :eek:

Not much to update, the Emu shocks that were put on when I first got it were completely shagged out, so just got replaced with a fresh set.

]
52285806506_8977ae0a59_b.jpg

It got a totally original new sticker :lol::

52286294925_3542c8d0a8_b.jpg

The springs are banging and clunking like crazy, so one of these days I'll have to re bush them and tack weld that damn spacer OME uses in the spring eyes, that oughtta shut them up.

Otherwise it's running and driving great. I still occasionally think it's time to move it on... then I take it out for a drive and think "nope, not today"

They make a great pair.

52284827382_7c4b6b9ce6_b.jpg

Another winter hibernation over... a month ago actually, but the 74 had other plans besides letting me drive and enjoy it.

52954238008_60e93017cb_b.jpg

The rear springs are shagged but not quite THAT shagged - the left rear tire is flat :hillbilly:

The fun started when we got some heavy rain (yes shocking, it rained heavily in vancouver...) and I found a couple good sized puddles in the passenger footwell and behind the seat.
Tracked it down to a couple of leaves blocking the drain in the hood latch cavity, and I'm figuring it filled with water, leaked over, and hit wires going through the firewall grommet and wicked on through.

Removed the leaves, RTV'd the crap out of that big grommet, and haven't had any issues since.

I got in a few drives and man it feels loose and the clanking from the spring eye spacers is insane. The rear springs have sagged, and it wallows like a hog in slop. The new shocks from last year have not made a ton of difference.

I had accepted that I was going to have to pull the springs, get the spacers tacked, new bushings, and some add a leafs for the rear.

Then I noticed the puddle of coolant dripping off the oil pan :censor:

Immediately thought "water pump", but found this hose dribbling, and I could almost pull it off the nipple. Aha!

52954169110_773c777a72_b.jpg

Nope, put a hose clamp in it, still leaked.
I had a new factory water pump on the shelf that I had bought when buddy Glenn-bj74 sold his 74, so on it went.
@Greg_B offered to give me a hand so we tore into it.

52954169125_56ffd0cb95_b.jpg

It was a PITA. Contrary to what the toyota 13B-T manual says, you WILL need to remove the thermostat housing to get the pump off. And possibly one bolt on the power steering pump mount - we tried that first THEN took of the thermo housing so not sure if just taking off the housing would be enough. If you do it, let me know!

I won't mention how long we stared at that trying to figure it out before pulling that stuff off. I'm not used to a manual telling you to take off LESS stuff than necessary, usually it's way more.

Decided to replace the 3 pump hoses - 2 are still available from the dealer: the bypass hose 16261-56012, the short straight water hose is 99556-30100. The Inlet A Water Hose (87245-90K44) is NLA, at least as best as I could find.
I found a generic hose with a bend that seemed close enough, it went on ok and didn't take much bending

52954168890_df2e90131f_b.jpg

Its on there now but Greg_B had better luck, his Napa let him in the back room to look for himself and he found this:

52954272109_0d74a9e397_b.jpg

AC Delco 16077M or GM88907319

Nice!

Once it was all back together we filled it with coolant, and for the first time ever for either of us (greg's had his 74 since 2004) we experienced the 13B-T that didn't want to take coolant. We'd read of others having the issue, but we never had.
It wouldn't take more than 3L.
Eventually we pulled a heater hose off, stuck a funnel in it, and got the other 6 or so litres in.

Test drive went well, but coolant that moved into the overflow reservoir was not returning once it cooled down. All thoughts turn to "head gasket", but no... it turned out that the spring clamp on the overflow hose was not sealing well. It didn't do it while idling, but when greg blipped the throttle I noticed coolant dribbling out. Yep, you could grab that hose and almost pull it off too.

I put a hose clamp on it, flogged hard up the local mountain, and sure enough once it cooled down all the extra coolant in the overflow had returned where it belonged. Yay.

Now... if it turns out that my water pump was always fine and all my leaking was just those two loose hoses, well F it I don't want to know :lol:
What I'm not doing is tearing apart the old pump to find out, because I have a nice shiny new water pump and some new hoses and F it, good for another 200k!

I AM now on a mission to replace every piece of rubber under the hood though.

While waiting for parts to come in I messed with a few other little things.
When I picked the truck up after getting the new windshield frame et al, Rob mentioned the back of the grill was getting some surface rust and it wouldn't kill me to deal with it a little.

I'm a man of action, so 4 years later I pulled the grill

52953786801_45be52b55f_b.jpg

took some sandpaper to it, soap and water,

52954169105_3d4e9a7551_b.jpg

Then sprayed a nice coat of Fluid Film on it. That should keep it at bay for a while.

I also decided to finally put the TURBO badge on the correct side of the grille. It's in pretty rough shape

52954237848_5a06e00d05_b.jpg

but i bojanged it with a zip tie to hold the main mounting point together, put it back on and safety wired it in place.

52953786871_dc199e490f_b.jpg

52953925914_a44b743506_b.jpg

Looks proper on that side at least :lol:

That plate is my amateur radio call sign. VE is canada, 7 is BC, and we get to pick the last 3 digits here in canada so I went with TFO

VE7TFO

VE 7TFO

VE 7 T FO

VE 74 FFS! In 16 years nobody has ever got it, guess I wasn't as clever as I thought. Shocker :grinpimp:

Last edited:
At the same time, Rob also mentioned it might not kill me to possibly clean up my sun visors, so this is for you Brother Rob!

52953189712_45e7caa8c9_b.jpg

52954168880_86b7befaab_b.jpg
[/url]

Like so much of the plastic, the mounts have gotten brittle and cracked.

52953786726_6e48effb77_b.jpg

They got the JB weld treatment along with the TURBO badge. No pics but expect my usual impeccable detail work that no one will ever see...

The grille and visors can go back on tomorrow, then I'm finally back to where I started this year - needing to pull the F'n springs, add rear leafs, tack the sleeves, re-bush, then enjoy driving it.

And even with it wallowing like a pig I've still enjoyed driving it again.

The s***ty repair job in 2008 continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. Paint is starting to lift on the passenger side fender.

52954238098_1f14c936ec_b.jpg

Not worth redoing at the moment, but eventually both fenders will need a proper repaint.

And found rust :bang:

52940505642_0d592dbbb7_b.jpg

Just surface, but it's always disappointing to find any of that damned cancer. It'll get a sanding, coat of Rust Bullet, and shot of paint in the next week or 2.

Very similar rig to mine, just I have a bagged motor right now :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom