Official 37" and up picture thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm hoping the Official 37" And Up brain-trust can help me. I have been poring over FB posts, the Compiled Suspension Thread, and GWNugget's Family Haulin Thread, and the Mud search function for weeks.

Short Version - What is the lowest suspension setup for 37" tires (without cutting the sheetmetal)?

Long Version - I see a few guys running a 3-inch-ish lift with 37" tires. I would like to do the same.

I recently purchased a flareless Poverty Pack 1991 FJ80. It needs new tires. I know I eventually want to run 37s, so I'd prefer not to buy tires twice.

IMG-7513.jpg

The truck currently has 33"x10.5"R15s BFG Mud Terrains on stock steel wheels. They actually measure out to about 31" diameter mounted on the truck. I have about 7" of clearance for the truck to clear the top of my garage.

IMG-8637.jpg

IMG-8635.jpg

I would like to run the smallest lift possible to clear 37" tires. I don't want to cut. I want to run the stock front bumper and my OEM winch. The truck will be used mostly for highway driving and light wheeling. I don't need to flex it out.

This is my plan:

• 2.5" OME Light/Medium 2851/2860 Coils
  • Dobinsons 682/683 Twin Tube Shocks
  • 1" Body Lift
  • 17" x 7.5" FJC Steel wheels w/ 4.84" BS
  • Falken Wildpeak AT4W 37"x12.5"R17 Tires
  • 1.25" Front and Rear Bumpstop Spacers
  • 1.25" Front Swaybar Spacer
  • Delta VS 3" (Standard Length) Caster Correction Arms
  • Eimkeith Rear Panhard Bracket
  • Extended Brake Lines

I am currently running the 3FE, dual battery, and OEM winch w/ synthetic rope. Future plans include swapping to a (heavier) diesel and a (lighter) manual transmission. Plus a rear full-floater.

Any feedback? What am I doing wrong?

To keep it on topic, here are a bunch of 80s w/ 3" lift and 37s:

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8631.jpg

IMG-8530.jpg

IMG-8431.jpg

IMG-8377.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

Thanks to @Marco Lau , @GW Nugget , @lelandEOD , @DBasher , @catfishhands , and many others for letting me rip off your photos without permission. :rofl:

Your plan is heading the right direction for 37s....

I would plan on getting the Long Length Delta Arms, you want to push the axle forward as much as possible (that extra length makes a difference from cutting). You can also get relocation brackets.

I would also think about moving the rear axle back, using extended arms (land tanks arms are an option). My 37s were just touching the body at full stuff.

Also be ready to get Bump Stop extensions... Depending on your up travel, the bump stops help from having to cut...

Every truck is slightly different depending on springs /weight distribution...

20230219_102307.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been able to test flex yet since I'm still finishing up my LS swap, but here are my 37s on a 3.5" variable flex dobinsons setup. The front is lighter than stock now with the old boat anchor engine being replaced, but all I had to do to clear the inner wheel wells was a tiny bit of hammering. Plenty of clearance for highway driving

20240125_170919.jpg

Your plan is heading the right direction for 37s....

I would plan on getting the Long Length Delta Arms, you want to push the axle forward as much as possible (that extra length makes a difference from cutting). You can also get relocation brackets.

I would also think about moving the rear axle back, using extended arms (land tanks arms are an option). My 37s were just touching the body at full stuff.

Also be ready to get Bump Stop extensions... Depending on your up travel, the bump stops help from having to cut...

Every truck is slightly different depending on springs /weight distribution...

View attachment 3596414

I have heard mixed feedback on the Delta 3 Regular vs Delta 3 Long arms. Several people have recommended the 3L arms to push the tires away from the firewall (but that it required trimming the OEM front bumper). Others have mentioned that they fit 37s with stock arms and no trimming. I may wait to purchase the arms until after I get the suspension, body-lift, and wheels/tires on the truck. Then decide if the tires need to move forward (and how much).

BTW, I skimmed your 2UZ swap thread. Badass work! That truck is cool AF. What is your current suspension setup?

I am not a fan of body lift of any kind, but with that said, any 3" lift would do to clear 37s with the correct offset wheels and tires combo. You can clear 37s with 2.5" basic lift for looks, but if you want the full articulation and full flex without rubbing, you will probably need more than just a lift, longer panhards, custom bumpstops, extended lower Arms, tons of fender /bumper trims etc.

I am on 3.5" Dobinson IMS/Slinky HD, 17 x 9 Raceline Beadlocks, and bits and pieces of suspension mod to support the bigger tires and lifts.
View attachment 3596410

You're not the only one who loathes body lifts. I think they got a bad reputation in the 80s and 90s from people doing terrible/cheap/huge body lifts and wrecking decent trucks. But done properly with a 1" or less, most people can't tell the difference.

Either way, it looks like I'm in the ballpark with 3.5" of total lift height (2.5" suspension and 1" BL).

Thanks for the feedback. I love your truck!

I have heard mixed feedback on the Delta 3 Regular vs Delta 3 Long arms. Several people have recommended the 3L arms to push the tires away from the firewall (but that it required trimming the OEM front bumper). Others have mentioned that they fit 37s with stock arms and no trimming. I may wait to purchase the arms until after I get the suspension, body-lift, and wheels/tires on the truck. Then decide if the tires need to move forward (and how much).

BTW, I skimmed your 2UZ swap thread. Badass work! That truck is cool AF. What is your current suspension setup?
Thanks!

Good point, I could see it rubbing the front bumper. I run an aftermarket. However, I would rather trim the bumper vs cutting up the firewall/sliders....

I ran the 37s before I put the Delta arms and it was rubbing on the street turns... I had to move the axle forward or do some major cutting....

I don't run Sway bars (no front/rear), so I get all the flex/body roll....
Front - OME J series springs, with Delta Long Arms.... I still had to do minor trimming
Rear- 20+ year old OME 864s (flexy and worn) with Land tank extended Arms... I needed the extended arms

38x13.5 Patagonias

61528E2A-D1E5-476B-9A51-DB09018C75B1.jpeg

Rubs at back of front fenders, I will push the front axle forward and trim as needed. No plans to limit up travel. Current config is about 4” of lift and plan to stay in the 3-4” lift range.

Cheers

38x13.5 Patagonias

View attachment 3596518

Rubs at back of front fenders, I will push the front axle forward and trim as needed. No plans to limit up travel. Current config is about 4” of lift and plan to stay in the 3-4” lift range.

Cheers
Tell us about that hood…

I'm hoping the Official 37" And Up brain-trust can help me. I have been poring over FB posts, the Compiled Suspension Thread, and GWNugget's Family Haulin Thread, and the Mud search function for weeks.

Short Version - What is the lowest suspension setup for 37" tires (without cutting the sheetmetal)?

Long Version - I see a few guys running a 3-inch-ish lift with 37" tires. I would like to do the same.

I recently purchased a flareless Poverty Pack 1991 FJ80. It needs new tires. I know I eventually want to run 37s, so I'd prefer not to buy tires twice.

IMG-7513.jpg

The truck currently has 33"x10.5"R15s BFG Mud Terrains on stock steel wheels. They actually measure out to about 31" diameter mounted on the truck. I have about 7" of clearance for the truck to clear the top of my garage.

IMG-8637.jpg

IMG-8635.jpg

I would like to run the smallest lift possible to clear 37" tires. I don't want to cut. I want to run the stock front bumper and my OEM winch. The truck will be used mostly for highway driving and light wheeling. I don't need to flex it out.

This is my plan:

• 1" Body Lift
  • Extended Brake Lines

I am currently running the 3FE, dual battery, and OEM winch w/ synthetic rope. Future plans include swapping to a (heavier) diesel and a (lighter) manual transmission. Plus a rear full-floater.

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8631.jpg

IMG-8530.jpg

IMG-8431.jpg

IMG-8377.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

Thanks to @Marco Lau , @GW Nugget , @lelandEOD , @DBasher , @catfishhands , and many others for letting me rip off your photos without permission. :rofl:
Dobinsons 3" lift (IMS preferred), no body lift, Delta 4L arms, rest of your list can stay the same. My 2 cents.

Dobinsons 3" lift (IMS preferred), no body lift, Delta 4L arms, rest of your list can stay the same. My 2 cents.
Thx! Which 3” Dobinsons coils do you recommend?

Not all tires are created Equal. a lot will depend on what tires you choose.

Not all tires are created Equal. a lot will depend on what tires you choose.
Yes, I’m planning on running the new Falken Wildpeak AT4W.

Tell us about that hood…

2016+ DPF 79-series hood grafted to the 80-series hood. I am running a 1HDFT turbo diesel with a functional top mount hood scoop.

Build thread here.

Cheers

IMG-7513.jpg

IMG-8637.jpg

IMG-8635.jpg

This is my plan:

• 1" Body Lift
  • Extended Brake Lines

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8631.jpg

IMG-8530.jpg

IMG-8431.jpg

IMG-8377.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

Probably not what you asked for, but If you want to drive it without excessive tire rub, giant lift, cutting sheet metal or limiting articulation, you should go with narrow 35s, especially on the flareless 80, or pick some 37s that are known to be way under size like BFGs.

Not what you want to hear but...

37" Maxis trepadors radials. OME J lift, No Flares (I could have kept the flares with a lot of extra work), cut the bottom 3" off the rear bottom inner fender liner, "massaged" the pinch weld in the rear, 2" extended bump stops.

It gets flexed, a LOT, I still get some rub in the back on really off camber climbs.

37" Maxis trepadors radials. OME J lift, No Flares (I could have kept the flares with a lot of extra work), cut the bottom 3" off the rear bottom inner fender liner, "massaged" the pinch weld in the rear, 2" extended bump stops.
Sounds similar to my build.
Screenshot_20240402-072957_Gallery.jpg

15 years the consensus on this forum was that the slee 6" lift would be the only way to really clear a 37". 10 years ago it turned into a 4" lift with bump stop extensions and the proper wheel back spacing. Now a 2" lift is good enough.

There is no specs better than flex and no replacement for displacement....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom