FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's single digits in NE Ohio right now with wind chills well below zero, and I still owe you all a picture of how close an unmodified skid plate fits along with the video so you can hear how awesome it sounds. As you all know, sometimes life gets in the way (Dad was in hospital for a month but is home now!). Until I can get out to where it is in storage for the winter, I can best describe it as mellow with a slight grumble but has an awesome growl when you accelerate. I stopped at a friends house not long after I got my 40 back from the header shop and she has a 20-something year old son who yelled "show off!" when I revved her up as I was pulling out of the driveway. My neighbor, who is a "car guy" walked over to my house after I arrived home and wanted to know what exhaust was on it because he "loved the way it sounded when I drove by." The sound is a bonus, this muffler was designed to work with the header and the rest of the exhaust system by people that are very well known in the business. I really need to move some place warmer, writing this is making me miss driving my 40!
Thanks @Dianna !!!
I am sorry to hear about your father - I hope he is on the mend now.
It sounds like from your two testimonials we arrived at a really nice sound quality for the exhaust!
That was certainly our goal, and why we ended up working with our manufacturer - they have a vast expertise of developing some very nice, high-end systems.

That’s correct Keith is Fabing this up next month for me. No jig per se, I did a mock up in cardboard and took a bunch of measurement and collaborated with Keith over the phone for over an hour. Awesome guy, great service and products.

Totally agree, the potential of the setup for OEM like restorations and the use with the header will be great. Would be better if someone local with a 40 could do a fit up locally with just the muffler to see what the OEM restoration potential could yield in the way of high flow and hopefully no noticeable increase in sound and a perfected jig. Unfortunately I’m no longer local to his shop.

Keith recommended running CAT since I’m fuel injected and to clean up the smell. He’s saw no difference on a dyno with or without CAT on numerous applications, so in his opinion no reason not to run one unless space, money or possibly heat could be an issue.
From what I hear, the heat is substantial, not to be underestimated in our poorly shielded 40s. And it is even worse with a carb that is not properly jetted and set-up. Timing needs to be set properly as well.

Good morning all,
Any update on price & availability for the headers as well as the full system?
These rainy days in CA are perfect for garage tinkering.

Thanks again for working so hard on these.
Thanks for your thanks! It is our pleasure to bring this option to the Cruiser community.

I do not have solid updates for you all, other than we are working on the behind-the-scenes things necessary to process orders - an e-commerce store and a vendor status here on MUD. This is at the same time as we are trying to pull off some pretty cool work at our day jobs. Anything we do, we endeavor to do well. Many miles to go before we sleep...

I suspect once we are ready to announce pricing and take orders, those details would no longer be technical, so I would link to a thread in the vendor section.

Stay tuned!

Yes!!! I am ready for this. I’m in for the full enchilada!

Can these come with a pre installed o2 bung?
Thank you! Confirmed I have you down for QTY 1 "Full Enchilada" - header + exhaust.

Affirmative on the O2 bung - there are some pictures in this thread, let me see if I can find them.
A nice feature we added is that you can clock the O2 bung for optimal placement and clearance.

Last edited:
I'm planning to put my order on a Fj43 and Fj45. Would like to order some material to extend the exhaust. What stainless is being used? Size is 2.5" correct? 16 gauge?
Thank you @kunzma - am I reading you correct that you are interested in QTY 2 header + exhaust, aka "full enchilada"?
Let me track down details on the exhaust - affirmative on the 2.5".

EDIT - I see here you added yourself as interested in 2 exhaust: FJ40 Mark/Downey Header - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-mark-downey-header.1267016/page-16#post-15219685

Last edited:
Yes!!! I am ready for this. I’m in for the full enchilada!

Can these come with a pre installed o2 bung?

Post #385 looks like it has the O2 bung. I think this has been asked and answered with an affirmative.

Post #385 is a picture of someone else's exhaust setup. My mistake.
I'm still fairly certain the O2 bung is part of the package. Post #374 by @PabloCruise says it is part of the design.

Correct - post #385 is the exhaust system that @Lola333 built.

I do confirm O2 bung in #374, but the @gonzopancho post #126 shows it best:

We wanted to place the O2 bung as close to the source as possible for accurate sensing, but after the clamp allows for a full 360 degrees of clocking.
I hope that helps!

1705851311177.png

1705851351694.png

Last edited:
Thank you @kunzma - am I reading you correct that you are interested in QTY 2 header + exhaust, aka "full enchilada"?
Let me track down details on the exhaust - affirmative on the 2.5".

EDIT - I see here you added yourself as interested in 2 exhaust: FJ40 Mark/Downey Header - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-mark-downey-header.1267016/page-16#post-15219685
I should already be on the list for 2 enchiladas. I was looking for information on the exhaust pipe so I could lengthen my order to fit the longer Fj43 and Fj45 bodies. Stoked that this is close to fruition.

@PabloCruise - can you put me down for a header for my 60?

Quick question - I have a carb’d 3F in my 55 - already has headers but they’re getting on in age. I would grab a second spare set if they potentially fit? I know it’s less common here in the states but if someone potentially knows, that would be great.

Thank you again for taking this on!

I should already be on the list for 2 enchiladas. I was looking for information on the exhaust pipe so I could lengthen my order to fit the longer Fj43 and Fj45 bodies. Stoked that this is close to fruition.
Understood.
Confirmed, I have you showing as interested in 2 enchiladas.
I will get info on the exhaust tubing used.

@PabloCruise - can you put me down for a header for my 60?

Quick question - I have a carb’d 3F in my 55 - already has headers but they’re getting on in age. I would grab a second spare set if they potentially fit? I know it’s less common here in the states but if someone potentially knows, that would be great.

Thank you again for taking this on!
I certainly will put you down as interested in a header for your 60. AFAIK there are no fitment issues for this 2F header on a 60.

As for the 3F, not 3FE, head fitment, I do not know.
I know folks will run 3FE exhaust manifolds on a 2F, so I believe that compatibility is there.
IDK if there are any differences between 3FE exhaust manifold fitment and 3F. I think your best bet is to run down this info on your end and LMK if you want me to put you down for a 2nd header for your 55. Sound fair?

PS: why don't we see more about your 3F powered 55 in the Pig section???

Roger that - I will verify and let you know ASAP.

I’ve had my head in my arse too long which is why I haven’t posted lol. Hard to juggle kids, lady, work, couple cruisers, etc.! No excuses - will try to get stuff posted soon in 55 section.

Roger that - I will verify and let you know ASAP.

I’ve had my head in my arse too long which is why I haven’t posted lol. Hard to juggle kids, lady, work, couple cruisers, etc.! No excuses - will try to get stuff posted soon in 55 section.
Ha ha, no worries man, take care of family and life. The Cruisers are supposed to be fun.

When you get a minute, we will be waiting to hear more about your Pig here: FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society.51/

A few more thoughts:
  • I bet unpolished stainless would look nice and stock.
  • I do not know if you will have enough room above the factory skid (next to the tranny and t-case) for a cat and shielding. They get hot.
  • I also think you want the cat located as close to the combustion action (heat) as possible. I don't know if after the skid plate will be "too late", but that option would allow for lots of options to keep the cat shielded from the cab, and still tucked out of harms way.
Thanks for all the feedback! I plan on trying to run the exhaust below the skid plate. I spoke to Keith about CAT placement as distance was my concern as well if placing behind the skid plate. My 40 has a heat shield there, maybe because it was a CA original? I measured the distance and his thoughts are there will still be plenty of heat still in the exhaust to have the CAT properly work at the mounting location and if so the heat shield is already in place to keep the heat off the cab and avoid inducing heat into trans and transfer case.

Got this goodness in the mail from Keith at Dirty Deeds Ind.

Custom muffler and resonator to go with the header in 2.5” stainless and black high temp coating.

View attachment 3553561
That resonator is a beefy looking set up!
I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Will you be willing to post some video/audio when you get it installed?

That resonator is a beefy looking set up!
I can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Will you be willing to post some video/audio when you get it installed?
Sure can and will. The setup is 28.5” from 90 center to outlet with 2.5 tubing, a 6” x 22” muffler and 5” x 8” Helmholtz resonator on 2” tubing that is 17-1/4” long. It is heavy though at 40lbs. Gonna have to fab some serious mounts for it.

Just waiting on your header. Doing a 5spd swap while waiting now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom