Builds 2001 LX470 build LEGUSY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With all the rocket launches going on lately, we wanted to get in on the action and launch one of our own. So we built a model and took it out for some test flights. Now I've had some places to explore in mind and I wanted to get out a ways to set this thing loose so we made a quick trip of it and took off. We made a quick stop at the monument at Fisher Pass to remember the Lincoln Highway as the first transcontinental highway completed in 1930 and this section was built just over 100 years ago.
View attachment 2508586
View attachment 2508584
Then we found a proving ground devoid of hazards and suitable for launch. The kids brought their own small rocket launchers too so we all got to take turns and get in on the fun.
View attachment 2508593
View attachment 2508594
Then we went over to White rocks and did a bunch of scrambling around some interesting cave features.
View attachment 2508596
👍 We used to launch rockets and cave out that way as kids at Simpson Springs; just south of the proving grounds.

I have really been slacking at keeping this thread up to date. So here is a somewhat belated post to help get back on track from last fall. We made a couple of trips up American Fork canyon with the club and members from Expedition Utah to assess the adopted Miller Hill trail that is up in the area and to organize efforts for a service project for National Public Lands Day.

On the first trip, a buddy broke the bolt going through his upper Uniball. The bolt completely sheared and left him stopped instantly. Fortunately I happened to have just the right bolt and we easily replaced it and had him back rolling again. We made it to the top of Miller hill in the late evening hours and started to preplan some ideas for a service project. ( in the first pic you can see the broken bolt and the new repair installed.)
20210909_182633.jpg

20210909_193739.jpg

20210909_200644.jpg

20210925_122259.jpg

20210925_142840.jpg

I led the next trip on NPLD and we were able to coordinate with the forest service and document our volunteer hours. We had a great turnout with a lot of participation. Most of the work was really just trash collection, but it was much needed and we collected a lot of trash from all over. Its really despicable how much junk gets left behind, but it is nice to see a substantial amount cleared up by this noble group effort.

I haven't really been wheeling this rig much as I've been riding my bikes a lot more lately instead. Legusy has still been getting some use hauling the bike around. I still wanted a rack option instead of the trailer so I modified one that works. I realize that the hitch is the most accessible and convenient, and I still wanted to be able to open the swing outs. I conceded that I would have to at least have the bike off the rack to open the swings, but I don't want to have to remove the rack too. The hitch in my bumper is mounted pretty high so there isn't a lot of space to clear the swings. I already have to use a hitch extender to gain the distance so the bike would clear the tire. I wanted something that was easily rated for the weight of a heavy EMTB. I also wanted the rack to fit my fat bike which is quite a bit larger especially with the snow tires on.
I decided to go with an aluminum motorcycle carrier that is rated to 400lb. It also gives me the option to bring a dirt bike or Sur Ron etc. I installed the hitch extension with a silencer clamp and a couple of bolts threaded into the bottom of the receiver tube to take up all of the slack so the receiver and rack is solid. I drilled a couple of rivets out so I could move the cross plates to accommodate different sized tires and the fat bike was good to go. Then I welded up a couple of rectangle tubes to allow the thinner 2.5-3.0 tires of the EMTBs to fit tight. With a strap in the center its been good to go. This has been working well and with the bike off, the swing just barely clears the rack.

20220111_101333.jpg

20220111_101311.jpg

20211115_113858.jpg

20211207_140017.jpg

20211109_164209.jpg

I haven't really been wheeling this rig much as I've been riding my bikes a lot more lately instead. Legusy has still been getting some use hauling the bike around. I still wanted a rack option instead of the trailer so I modified one that works. I realize that the hitch is the most accessible and convenient, and I still wanted to be able to open the swing outs. I conceded that I would have to at least have the bike off the rack to open the swings, but I don't want to have to remove the rack too. The hitch in my bumper is mounted pretty high so there isn't a lot of space to clear the swings. I already have to use a hitch extender to gain the distance so the bike would clear the tire. I wanted something that was easily rated for the weight of a heavy EMTB. I also wanted the rack to fit my fat bike which is quite a bit larger especially with the snow tires on.
I decided to go with an aluminum motorcycle carrier that is rated to 400lb. It also gives me the option to bring a dirt bike or Sur Ron etc. I installed the hitch extension with a silencer clamp and a couple of bolts threaded into the bottom of the receiver tube to take up all of the slack so the receiver and rack is solid. I drilled a couple of rivets out so I could move the cross plates to accommodate different sized tires and the fat bike was good to go. Then I welded up a couple of rectangle tubes to allow the thinner 2.5-3.0 tires of the EMTBs to fit tight. With a strap in the center its been good to go. This has been working well and with the bike off, the swing just barely clears the rack.

View attachment 2895154
View attachment 2895155
View attachment 2895156
View attachment 2895157
View attachment 2895158
Nice work! I wonder if I saw you last night around 1900 traveling S on 15 near 90th. Was able to visit Fan at the museum while working in town.

Last edited:
Nice work! I wonder if I saw you last night around 1900 traveling S on 15 near 90th. Was able to visit Fan at the museum while working in town.
Thanks, that wasn't me. I hope to make it down there and check out the new location for Cruisers and coffee or something soon.

Legusy did make it out to the museum for Cruisers and Coffee as well as several other excursions lately. It was great to see the fellows there. Just after that, we went and picked up another accessory. to improve the capacity and comfort for various trips.
20220227_161007.jpg

A custom offroad trailer has been in the works for some time now and it is a capable complement. It is based on a heavy duty custom chassis with a modified Hiker Trailer shell that does not have the rear wall for a separate dinette area. I specifically wanted it setup like this because it would allow more space for cargo including bikes and a larger sleeping area. I already have the fridge in the truck so a kitchen in the back of the trailer ( like most teardrops offer) seemed redundant.
20220407_152547.jpg

20220402_105436.jpg

There have been several mods to make this fit just right for this vehicle and the first was to chop the tongue and raise and lengthen it to make it straight in line with the hitch receiver, for the most clearance possible and to allow plenty of room for both bumper swings and not jackknife. An updated 7 pin harness also got installed with a max coupler to link them together. I added trailer brakes to the 6000lb rated Timbren suspension. New dual batteries were installed to work properly with the solar, inverter, and shore power charging. Since I figured Rough roads would be hard on shifting contents, I installed E-Track with the vinyl flooring and on the side walls for use with a removable table inside. I used a forklift fuel tank kit to mount a 5 gal propane tank to a custom support. I'm sure that there's more, but you get the idea.
20220319_151519.jpg

Overall range is a bit compromised towing this addition, but it pulls very well and handles all sorts of terrain. To offset the slight loss of already poor fuel economy, it is nice to be able to unload the bikes and cover many more miles. It has been tested and put through the paces on a variety of windy washboard and tight roads while holding up well. The wife and family have given their approval to its amenities as well.
20220403_092042.jpg

We took these out on a longer trip in Southern Utah really put it to use. The long washboarded road out to hole in the rock was rough, but things held up. After diving through Capitol reef and exploring several canyons, we were able to get way out on Lake Powell with the water level so low. I think it would have been hell on a standard bike rack, but in the trailer things survived and we were able to escape the wind for the night inside the trailer.
20220404_091829.jpg

20220404_071219.jpg

20220404_192801.jpg

20220405_122303.jpg

20220405_193014.jpg

We look forward to many more opportunities to explore in it.

We have been getting out in the 100 a few times in recent past to explore outdoors. It really hasn't been getting as much use as other vehicles lately but it is nice to get out with it. The trailer has been very comfortable and convenient and a great way to haul bikes too.
20220625_110701.jpg
20220815_201350.jpg

We made it out to property that has been in my wife's family for nearly a century and with the low lake levels were able to drive this trail out to the beach loaded with accessories.
20220903_105430.jpg

20220903_173520.jpg
20220903_113340.jpg

Its past time to get up to speed on this thread. As we were out visiting the Lake, and getting ready to take off and explore some more, I came across a crank no start issue with this rig. I realized right away that I did not have a check engine light on. I did some trouble shooting and found power to all the usual places. So I got out the wiring diagram and dug a little deeper and found that though I had power to the EFI main relay, it was about .5v low. I was able to jump battery power to the relay and the truck would start right up. I had a connector for a trickle charger on the truck and I was able to repurpose that as a temporary jumper wire that got me back on the road and all the way home. I think that there is a bad connection in the fuse block somewhere. This is a well known issue on some 100s and there are numerous threads on it. I think that there is an issue with the cost and availability of replacement parts. There is a pretty well known repair of rewiring the EFI relay in the fuse box. I bought another factory relay just to make sure, even though the old one tested well, and now I have a spare. I've seen a kit for sale here on mud to do this, but it was easy enough to make my own. I installed an add a circuit fuse to the 20A EFI to supply the main relay and it all fits under the factory fuse box lid. Since it has taken me so long to update this thread, I can report that this repair has seen many miles on and off road with out anymore of this issue.
20220921_194730.jpg

20220921_194535.jpg

I upgraded the trickle charger to a newer more powerful unit. I had been having issues with the old charger randomly going into a fault. I usually only need the trickle charger when I keep the truck parked in the garage with the fridge on for several days. Now, the new unit seems to keep things charged.
20220921_194011.jpg

I helped organize another service project up American Fork Canyon for National Public Lands Day. We worked with Wasatch Cruisers, Expedition Utah, the Forest Service and other groups doing maintenance and cleanup on the Miller Hill trail. I led a group of trucks to Tyngs Grave near the top where we have been painting and collecting trash for years. We had a great turnout and got a lot done including rebuilding the floor of the kiosk at the base of the trail.
20220924_112432.jpg

20220924_130214.jpg

20220924_130709.jpg

20220924_123447.jpg

20220924_144030.jpg

We drove the Lockhart basin trail with the club Wasatch Cruisers as a prerun for Cruise Moab. Since we drove the trail from South to North going downhill the toughest section, I brought my trail trailer. This made it much easier to accommodate my family in the colder weather and I was able to bring my E mountain bike. It was a bit more challenging getting the trailer through a few sections. It was a good test for the capability of the trailer, and a good opportunity to improve my trailer dragging skills. With some careful spotting and driving we were able to negotiate the difficult sections and get through.
20230324_193310.jpg

20230324_192345.jpg

Here are a couple pictures that show how the extended and raised tongue of the trailer clearance worked out to be just enough on approach and departure.

PXL_20230325_181615537.jpg

PXL_20230325_181617376.jpg

PXL_20230325_212014283.jpg

As we dropped down into the narrow canyon things got a little tight, but the trailer hung in there. Near the end, I had to make a pretty tight turn, but I was able to pull right through it. Its nice to know that this trailer will turn as tight as the truck, and I can even back into it a bit to make a sharper turn, so its been pretty maneuverable.

PXL_20230326_002014349.jpg

PXL_20230326_002246985.jpg

I covered some more ground on the bike exploring the area and just enjoying the ride. I also rode out from Chicken corners to the pavement of Kane creek followed by the family in the 100. I travelled a bit faster on the bike, but it was interesting to me that both vehicles could keep a reasonable pace up to about 20mph. I used an inverter that I connected to the 100 to charge the ebike batteries. This way I can ride while another battery is charging and then swap and repeat.

I did this by running some heavy gauge wire directly from a 200A fuse at the auxiliary battery to the cab near the passenger foot well. This is terminated at a heavy duty 2 pin quick connector commonly used for winches and such. It tucks out of the way when not in use. I placed a 1200W pure sine inverter in a plastic case and set it on the floor and connect it when charging the batteries.

20230326_095013.jpg

I had noticed on the recent Lockhart trip that the old tablet wasn't really keeping pace anymore and needed an upgrade. I got many years of good use out of it, but it was lagging and having numerous issues. I ended up upgrading to a Samsung S6 lite tab that fits well in the same Ram tablet mount and has a stylus for more features. This runs much more smooth and seems to keep up with my needs for now. I'll continue to put it to the test.

We made another trip to Southern Utah Washington county. I did a bunch of mtn biking each day covering a lot of miles and hitting several unique areas. I was nice to have the upgraded tablet for getting around to many of these areas.

Since the fuel consumption in the 100 is not good, it is really nice to cover some ground and explore on the bike without having to burn more fuel. I probably burn more fuel getting out to all these areas to bike, but I like the idea of offsetting some of my miles. I can setup a base camp and cover many miles out and back. In the event that I have a failure, the bike might give me another transportation option. In any case, we spent some time camping and had a lot of fun riding.

20230402_200715.jpg

20230403_081832.jpg

20230403_100924.jpg

20230406_195129.jpg

20230406_195117.jpg

I made my way down through the swell and on to Moab to do some more biking during the week of Cruise Moab. Met up with the group from Wasatch Cruisers and the swell overnight run as they were coming through Eagle canyon and spent some time visiting with them before moving on to ride Cliffhanger and Slickrock. Spent a evening visiting with folks at the Spanish trails arena camp. It was nice to see a bunch of great friends and cool trucks.

Goodwater canyon
20230419_113847.jpg

Eagle Canyon Arch
20230419_171207.jpg

This interesting tree has managed to thrive in an unusual ice house canyon that the Swaseys put to good use keeping things cool long before refrigeration was a convenience.
20230419_181031.jpg

20230419_181218.jpg

view from Cliff Hanger
20230420_155511.jpg

I'm trying to keep this thread alive but I get so caught up in other stuff that I forget to catch up here. I took the truck out on a few more trips to go turkey hunting in central Utah and mountain biking near Bryce canyon. I spent some time driving around and exploring new areas chasing after wild turkeys getting up early for Gobbles and hanging out for cool trails and amazing sunsets. The rig kept on climbing and cruising.
20230520_062546.jpg

20230526_144105.jpg

20230526_164552.jpg

20230526_164721.jpg

20230526_203142.jpg

Looks like you've been on some awesome trips this year. I'm definitely envious of those of you with easy or even semi-easy access to the West!

It is nice to be close to so many great areas in the west.

Our next destination was Yellowstone National park. This trip has been on my father in laws family bucket list for some time. As he recently recovered from an ordeal with bone marrow cancer, it brought us all together for this family trip. We travelled up by way of Idaho and Montana stopping along the way to recreate and break up the travel distances.

As we were all loaded up and ready to go, the check engine light came on and was running a bit rough with several codes. P1305, P1310, P1320, P1340. Of course this was not ideal right at the start of a long trip, but I was too determined to keep our schedule and not let this deter us. It wasn't running that bad, but the codes came right back after I cleared them and I didn't have time for a complete diagnosis. With the odd all of the sudden timing, I though it might be a an odd circumstantial condition. So, determined to keep our schedule, I grabbed a spare set of ignition coil packs out of the spare parts bin and figured that with the other tools and parts that I usually carry, we would figure it out as we go and get parts along the way if need be.

We made the drive pulling the trailer up into Idaho and though the condition persisted, It did seem intermittent and the 100 still had the power to pull canyons with the trailer so we did well enough. the next morning, I pulled out some tools and removed a bank of coils and plugs for a quick inspection not finding anything significant, I swapped a few coils just in case. Somehow, the problem was resolved, I cant say I entirely understand, but I wasn't about to argue with the results. We would just roll with it.
20230617_210045.jpg

On each of these trips, we usually earn a morale patch at the end of the trip. The headliner of Legusy is about full of them now and the kids really get into the collection of them. On this trip we started with the patch as a motivation to help us stay focused during this long 10 day family reunion trip. Hello I'm "trying my best" was the motto that kept us positive. By the end of the trip it would be well earned and surprisingly enough, very helpful.
20230629_120619.jpg

Since I have been really enjoying getting around on ebikes these days to further explore and extend the range of recreation, I decided that an Ekayak build would be a cool idea. I found a good deal on a used Feel Free Lure 11.5 kayak. These kayaks have a removable sonar pod in the center for optional install of a pedal drive, motorized unit, or fish finder etc. As a much cheaper and functional option, I decided to install a trolling motor in the sonar pod. This would allow complete removal of the motor and no permanent modification to the kayak itself. I used a 100ah 12v lithium battery installed in a cooler bag that weighs significantly less than a lead acid battery and will probably run the kayak for 8 hours or more. With the kayak loaded on the trailer, we were ready to explore land and water.

20230617_193012.jpg

20230618_140658.jpg

20230618_142145.jpg

Last edited:
20230624_145655.jpg

As the weather came and went, we made out way up and into Yellowstone for some unique, interesting and amazing views. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

20230618_194705.jpg

20230619_182851.jpg

20230620_084253.jpg

20230620_085021.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom