Builds My Troopy "KABOOM" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a long time coming, it's finally my turn to join the club.

This isnt going to be much a build thread,,,, it WILL be an owners thread, a journal if you will.

My goal is to keep the history and patina of its past alive, while fixing what needs to be fixed and getting everything up to snuff. I will be making some modifications and personalizing it to my needs, intended use and style, but ultimately i want to enjoy the rig as Toyota intended in its simplicity.

1988 FJ75 GCC spec from Oman
3F H55 and split case

The rumors of school bus troopies are true, I spent an afternoon scraping and cleaning gum, candy leftovers and children's stickers from inside this car.

I'm in the process of stripping it down and inspecting everything. So far the car looks to be original and minimally molested, and i plan to drive and enjoy it as i continue the repairs and updates.

I had it shipped from L.A. to Phx az. Where I drove it up to my home in Payson az. I debated the long drive across I-10 but glad I opted to ship, turns out all 4 ujoints are shot, maybe it would have made it, maybe not. I have a vibration that gets very pronounced above 120kph, so I kept it under 120 all the way home to 5,000ft elevation.

This thread will be less of a real build and more of an owners story and chronicals of use, care and feeding.

20210527_172154.jpg

20210527_172208.jpg

Last edited:
Love it! It probably would've made it, but... Nice find!

Sweet. I will say I almost never drive mine at 120kmh. The most I usually run is 110ish. Sometimes 115 but rarely. I also have a diesel so it’s a bit different.

Great looking troopy.

The 3F with H55F (Which I had before) is about the same as 1HZ with H55F to me. I don’t really like to go above 120 in either.

A 3F is good all day at 3000-3100 rpm. The best thing you can do is squeeze the biggest tire you can on it and get with @FJ60Cam about a super secret Sniper fix for that 3F

The brakes on this car are amazing, better than my tacoma even. Which got me to wondering what kinda shape they are actually in,,,,

I've had a good feeling about this one, it really looks unmolested and well cared for, now that I'm opening things up I can really see, this owner must have had a decent budget.

This looks better than alot of used "american" cars I've seen.
20210528_174045.jpg

Oh I actually forgot one of the best parts of this whole endeavor

My previous land cruiser were fj55's, had 3 of them, and was very fond of all of them, but they were always my own version of a troopy.

Anyway, when I saw the vin of this troopy, I knew it was destiny

Fj75-0055000

Looking at Dobby and Tough Dog, two months out it seems, thinking about Ironman, I mean can't beat the price, might have to buy Dobby or Tough Dog later but the Ironman springs i put on the 55 nearly 20 yrs ago were great, but that may have been when Australia still made them? Still, might be worth a shot for a grand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom