Which Troopy to buy? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Juan! Great info! I am having a hard time with the Texas eBay 1FZ as it just seems like a Pandora’s box. The Jag has too much left for me to do including at least heat if not AC, plus welding new panels etc. So I am leaning towards this 1FZ in NC that seems to have been taken care of like I would have.

Hello,

Many Troopies do not have factory AC, probably because they are work vehicles. It is possible to install AC.

This FZJ75 looks good.

Make sure the engine has an altitude compensation valve. It is possible to install one, but it is better if it is already there.

Check for rust in the gutters, just in case.

Juan

For your usage, the 1HZ will suck. If it's just about more room, consider increasing room on your 100 by whatever means.

Edit: This is not mine...

100 camper view.jpg
100 camper inside.jpg

Last edited:
No, I don't have a Maltec. They aren't the only name in the game. I'm just saying, get creative. There are a lot of options out there. Heck, even a Tundra with a FWC is a better option for you.
Cut the back off my 100! I’ve considered that

Is the HZ really as gutless as I hear? Like riding lawnmower levels of slowness? 80’s Diesel VW Rabbit slow?

Up to 5,000ft a 1HZ is ok. Not great but ok, much better on back roads under 65mph and lower elevations. Manual trans as well. People also baby them to much, you can rev it past 2k rpms to pull a hill.

Higher elevation and higher speeds are really going to kill it.

They are fine around town as long as you don’t have to do LA type merging.

Cheers

Whatever you do, you need to buy a plane ticket and go drive everything you’re considering buying.

I live in CO and just got a 98 HZJ75 with the 1HZ and it came with an aftermarket turbo. Compared to my to 80 series I think it scoots pretty good. I was expecting it to be way slower. It's no rocket ship but not bad. If you want check mine out sometimes let me know. I work in the springs quite a bit.

I live in CO and just got a 98 HZJ75 with the 1HZ and it came with an aftermarket turbo. Compared to my to 80 series I think it scoots pretty good. I was expecting it to be way slower. It's no rocket ship but not bad. If you want check mine out sometimes let me know. I work in the springs quite a bit.
Dang, I gave up and bought a Defender 110 with Alucab conversion. I know, it's a rover :) Thanks for the offer though, sounds like a great truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom