Which Troopy to buy? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, new to this corner of the forum, coming from a 100 series but want more room so looking into building a troopy. Can some of you who know what's up chime on on the merits between the two of these? One is a 1FZ with 250k miles, no rust or mods. Super clean in TX. The other is a 60k mile 1HZ out of NJ originally from Georgia, also with no rust. It does have a reserve tank in the rear, and bumper (the front is a bit clunky but good enough for now). It is also unfortunately fully raptor lined, but I can remove that later if it bothers me. I know coming from the UZJ I'm going to be going much slower, and the HZ is the slower of the two. Can anyone speak to which they would buy based on how they are equipped? I do a fair amount of highway so speed is a big plus. But so is longevity. And also most of my camping is done in the freezing cold (down to 15 below at times) and above 9k elevation here in CO in the winter, so I'm wondering which engine will be better for that. On price the FZ about 5k cheaper, and to drive home after purchase about half the distance or less. But I need to add heat because it is AC only.

HZ-

1FZ-

HZ Troopy.jpg

Troopy FZ.jpg

Last edited:
You will hate the 1hz and want to turbo so add that or a hdt/ft upgrade.

Adding heater is pretty easy. Buy the fz.
Of course i would shop on mud for one.

Otherwise wait for a 1999 import w coil front end.

Twin tanks are good for range (have them on my pick up)

Yeah I'm leaning towards the FZ, but a guy who has seen it in person said something about the paint hiding bondo. There is one on Mud I'm interested in that is well sorted but its 10k more and on the east coast. Hard to decide when not seeing them in person.

You won’t be happy with a 1HZ troopy in colorado without a turbo.
Is that super expensive to add a turbo to the HZ?

Also considering this one, looks like a lot of things have already been sorted. But it is a HZ

Also considering this one, looks like a lot of things have already been sorted. But it is a HZ

Would not consider adding a turbo to a 1HZ without also adding an Intercooler.

So I know you can’t bring this in whole (if you can find someone to take apart most of it can come in). But price. This is a brand new truck. Why, should a used one match or exceed this especially with 300,000klms and no maintenance. Just park that in back of your mind as you plan your build.

Do not pay too much. They still make the freaking things

A Turbo 1HZ is a battle to keep cool, especially if you plan to work it hard, and the 5k for a decent turbo kit gets you well on the way to a DI engine such as a 1HD-T

Would love to find a 1999 w/coil front end..

I inspected that particular "super clean" FZJ75 for a client and walked away . It needs a lot of work before it is up to US daily driving . Just go look at them in person and drive them to see what you are getting and what is right for you . I always been a diesel guy and 1HZ troopy would be my start

I inspected that particular "super clean" FZJ75 for a client and walked away . It needs a lot of work before it is up to US daily driving . Just go look at them in person and drive them to see what you are getting and what is right for you . I always been a diesel guy and 1HZ troopy would be my start
Is the HZ really as gutless as I hear? Like riding lawnmower levels of slowness? 80’s Diesel VW Rabbit slow?

Anyone in Colorado with a Troopy - gas or diesel - I can come take a look at? Seems like everything currently for sale is a flight away. I’ve never even seen one in person.

Is the HZ really as gutless as I hear? Like riding lawnmower levels of slowness? 80’s Diesel VW Rabbit slow?
Decades of reliable service comes at a cost. The 1HZ, despite its deficiencies, will get you where you’re going and bring you back. Going fast is overrated. 😊

It’s not bad but in the troopy it certainly can use some help from a turbo kit . On the other hand uou can go 70 mph and still getting around 20 mpg . The FZJ75 probably can do 85 mph at around 10 mpg ……. Your choice

Last edited:
I think all the advice above is credible. Both sides...

I live at 1100m (foothills of the Rockies, to your north) and have been driving an atmospheric 1HZ for over three years, including almost a year now as a daily. It has plusses and minuses, as does everything. Mine's a 4 door wagon, but with my RTT/awning/rack on top, it is about as aero as a troopy...

My uzj100 is smoother, quieter, and faster by an order of magnitude. BUT the HZJ77 is dead reliable, gets reasonable fuel economy, and has character. Also, every maintenance item I've ever needed has been readily available, OEM or aftermarket. Mine has almost 300k kms, and starts with virtually no smoke on the coldest days, plugged in or not.

I added a High Altitude Compensator, and am running fuel on the lean side, but I can climb hills reasonably, and keep up with traffic. I rarely pass, and windy days are not great days, but mostly this thing feels like it will go forever. I have a complete turbo retrofit pieced together, and sitting on my bench, but haven't put it in. Yet.

Drive one if you can. Expectations need to be managed. It's made for third world reliability, so freeway flogging is not it's forte. And it's probably not for everyone... but it *might* be for you? :steer:

I think all the advice above is credible. Both sides...

I live at 1100m (foothills of the Rockies, to your north) and have been driving an atmospheric 1HZ for over three years, including almost a year now as a daily. It has plusses and minuses, as does everything. Mine's a 4 door wagon, but with my RTT/awning/rack on top, it is about as aero as a troopy...

My uzj100 is smoother, quieter, and faster by an order of magnitude. BUT the HZJ77 is dead reliable, gets reasonable fuel economy, and has character. Also, every maintenance item I've ever needed has been readily available, OEM or aftermarket. Mine has almost 300k kms, and starts with virtually no smoke on the coldest days, plugged in or not.

I added a High Altitude Compensator, and am running fuel on the lean side, but I can climb hills reasonably, and keep up with traffic. I rarely pass, and windy days are not great days, but mostly this thing feels like it will go forever. I have a complete turbo retrofit pieced together, and sitting on my bench, but haven't put it in. Yet.

Drive one if you can. Expectations need to be managed. It's made for third world reliability, so freeway flogging is not it's forte. And it's probably not for everyone... but it *might* be for you? :steer:
Thanks for the response!

@JDM Journeys ….. “Expectations need to be managed.”
——————————————————————————
You should have that printed into a window sticker and sell it to the 70 Series crowd. 😁

Hello,

At the time I am writing, the bidding for FZJ75 has ended.

The HZJ75 has a hole in the door that should not be there. There are paint bubbles that may be from overspraying, or from rust. Hard to tell, and suspicious. The paint fairy seems to have visited the frame and drivetrain.

The FZJ75 looks like it needs work in the frame, body and drivetrain. It appears to come from a dry climate. No interior photos, which is a red flag. There are two charcoal canisters in the engine bay, which is suspicious. The altitude compensator valve is missing. The sparkplug covers seem to have been sprayed.

The 1HZ engine is slow but reliable. It is not made for American roads. You can add a high-altitude compensator, a turbo and an intercooler, which help a lot but comes at a cost if you want it done properly.

The 1FZ engine is powerful but thirsty. It can handle American roads in its carbureted form. A combination of lean mix and care with your right foot can help with the fuel mileage.

Regarding the Jag, all you need to know is in the thread. I think it has been well taken care of. And perhaps it is just me, but I would like to see it going to a good home.

Juan

Thanks Juan! Great info! I am having a hard time with the Texas eBay 1FZ as it just seems like a Pandora’s box. The Jag has too much left for me to do including at least heat if not AC, plus welding new panels etc. So I am leaning towards this 1FZ in NC that seems to have been taken care of like I would have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom