What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced a blown out a front shock. I had about 6 months, and a few thousand on this OEM shock.

I love the ride of the OEM, but it may be time to upgrade.

Jim

20180521_165425.jpg

Damn, any pointers on avoiding breaking the rack?!

The new rack looks bad ass!

Thanks dude! The rack breaking was pretty bizarre it snapped on the opposite side of my Alu Cab Awning and Front Runner had zero promises that it wouldn’t happen again. I’m sure you’ll be fine haha just don’t mount a rooftop tent and mount a light bar in front.

Working on getting the LX with 188k Miles ready for the long drive to Colorado for hundreds in the hills.

In my gravel driveway I replaced the steering rack, both lower ball joints, LCA bushings and bushing #2, outer TREs, new radiator, new brake rotors and pads, and new front wheel bearings.

I was chasing a “popping” noise up front and figured I’d do it all while I was in there. I didn’t touch the UCAs because I did new SPCs last year. After all of the work the “pop” was still there. Come to find out it was the driver upper balljoint that’s barely a year old. Oh well, new ones will be here Thursday.

It wasn’t nearly as tough as I thought it would be, but hopefully I’m good for another 188k.

I think you may have literally just described my dilemma hahaha

Working on getting the LX with 188k Miles ready for the long drive to Colorado for hundreds in the hills.

In my gravel driveway I replaced the steering rack, both lower ball joints, LCA bushings and bushing #2, outer TREs, new radiator, new brake rotors and pads, and new front wheel bearings.

I was chasing a “popping” noise up front and figured I’d do it all while I was in there. I didn’t touch the UCAs because I did new SPCs last year. After all of the work the “pop” was still there. Come to find out it was the driver upper balljoint that’s barely a year old. Oh well, new ones will be here Thursday.

It wasn’t nearly as tough as I thought it would be, but hopefully I’m good for another 188k.
Good for you for being able to do all those things on your own!!! Those are the exact items I just replaced over the last few weeks, and it cost me an arm and a leg!:bang: I wish I knew more and was more confident about working on my own truck but my skills in that area are limited when it comes to what I consider major projects.

Good for you for being able to do all those things on your own!!! Those are the exact items I just replaced over the last few weeks, and it cost me an arm and a leg!:bang: I wish I knew more and was more confident about working on my own truck but my skills in that area are limited when it comes to what I consider major projects.
It really wasn’t a bad job at all. I was worried about the steering rack and the removal of bushing number 2 because I had read so many posts about how difficult they can be. I used the threaded rod method on bushing 2 and it was super easy. Probably 5 minutes per side. And the steering rack was very straight forward. I struggled a bit with the coupling but now that I have done it I bet I could do the rack in less then 2 hours. My wife thought I was crazy ordering 1k in parts until she found out Toyota would have charged us 2k in labor. I’d say it’s a deal.

Next up is 4.88 gears and front and rear Harrop E-lockers. I’m taking it to ACC in two weeks for that. I wish I could do that work, but at least I know ACC will do a great job. Those guys are the best this side of the Mississippi! Atlanta Custom Creations

I can’t wait for Hundreds in the Hills!!!

Last edited:
5Overland got some new shoes today. Love the new look. Icon Speed six 17" wheels with 285/70/17 Cooper STT Pro. Will need to modify the front caps some how

View attachment 1706244

Let me know your thoughts on the STT Pros. I'm a few weeks from pulling the trigger on the either the ST MAXX or the STT Pros in a 295/70/18 profile. Currently on KO2s in 275/70/18

I installed a set of Wet Okole front seat covers.

I tried and tried to save my leather when I bought this Cruiser with Leatherique, but I think the previous owners 246k miles of nicotine and neglect was too much.
IMG_20180516_184225.jpg

I removed the seats to complete the install. Don't even try to install these covers with the seat in the rig.
IMG_20180518_184559.jpg

Admittedly I do not have any experience with seat covers. This was my first experience with them and I did a lot of research about the various manufacturers. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to wrap the straps around the base so that the seat adjustments don't tear into them. I fought for a couple of hours trying to eliminate this wrinkle on the side, but it wasn't possible due to the seat frame. Both sides are the same, so at least I am consistent. If more than one strap was included on the sides of the cover I could have greatly reduced this wrinkle.
IMG_20180518_184610.jpg

I had the color matched map pockets installed on these covers. I am kind of disappointed in the fit of the seat back cover. The holes for the arm rest were cut to far back on both covers so the cover had to be installed slightly twisted to center the arm rest opening. I also wish the back cover could have been installed tighter, but the Velcro flap predetermined that.
IMG_20180518_184735.jpg

I know the first thing you want to know about is swamp a$$ with the neoprene. In my limited experience, the seats are no warmer than the unbreathable leather.

Last edited:
Sorted this mess out. Brake caliper seized up on the PS, taking out the rotor after the cock-eyed pad fell apart. New OEM brake pads and rotors and OEM reman calipers took care of the brakes. The wheel bearings have been too loose and neglected for far too long from the looks of it. My fault for not baselining it better when I bought it. Cleaned everything up, got the bearings within spec, and greased the spindles that looked like they had never been touched outside of Japan. Everything is buttoned up and driving great.

I'm a little concerned about the outer axle splines. The DS grease had flakes of something that looked like the cad plating on the dust shield had flaked/rusted off and rusty grease all over the splines under the dust cap. While cleaning everything up, the axle splines look like they are cracking and shifting rearward ever so slightly. Not binding up the drive plates (which look surprisingly good), but I'll have to keep an eye on it. One of the CV boots is also developing a pretty good crack. No leaks yet, but I'll probably replace the axle(s) as PM sometime soonish.

Also, new diff oil front and rear, and lubed up the driveshaft. Busy weekend, but well worth it.

IMG_6655.jpg

Initial impression: this is going to need some tweeking.

image.jpeg

Swung by the metal fabricator in town and threw around a few ideas to get the carrier closer to the body.

The most reasonable idea wasn't possible - moving the trailer hitch up (in) on the frame. The bolt holes are already there! Sadly I have the hitch design that cages the exhaust tip preventing relocation.

Ideas???

Last edited:
New T’s.
997C76D6-8D39-4CA6-B740-EAB288FDD0D2.jpeg

On another note, does this you normal? (The grey hose coming from the firewall.) Doesn’t seem like it to me.
32579604-A8E3-414A-AD80-632241CD3C07.jpeg

Certainly entertaining the idea - however my wife had a DT Catback on her LX that ended up being replaced by an OEM from @beno

Would removing the resonator create significantly more noise?
I have not done it on the 100/LX but I would definitely say YES it will be louder. Keep it on if you like the quietness of our vehicles.

New T’s.
View attachment 1706632
On another note, does this you normal? (The grey hose coming from the firewall.) Doesn’t seem like it to me.
View attachment 1706633
The grey hose is not OEM, someone has done some work on your wiring harness. It could've been something as simple as the old wiring loom corroding so they just replaced the loom, or something more technical like a short in one of the wires and they had to find it. The entire harness could also have been replaced at one point. Either way it's not original but if you're not experiencing any issues I would leave it alone.

Dude, you and Bernard are having a stellar 2018! Nice work.
Thanks man, we have been scrambling to get as much done before our first big trip with all the new gear, leaving in a few days. We've been sort of MIA the past few weeks getting ready but can't wait to tell our stories when we get back.

I installed a set of Wet Okole front seat covers.

I tried and tried to save my leather when I bought this Cruiser with Leatherique, but I think the previous owners 246k miles of nicotine and neglect was too much.
View attachment 1706374

I removed the seats to complete the install. Don't even try to install these covers with the seat in the rig.
View attachment 1706372

Admittedly I do not have any experience with seat covers. This was my first experience with them and I did a lot of research about the various manufacturers. My biggest challenge was figuring out how to wrap the straps around the base so that the seat adjustments don't tear into them. I fought for a couple of hours trying to eliminate this wrinkle on the side, but it wasn't possible due to the seat frame. Both sides are the same, so at least I am consistent. If more than one strap was included on the sides of the cover I could have greatly reduced this wrinkle.
View attachment 1706373

I had the color matched map pockets installed on these covers. I am kind of disappointed in the fit of the seat back cover. The holes for the arm rest were cut to far back on both covers so the cover had to be installed slightly twisted to center the arm rest opening. I also wish the back cover could have been installed tighter, but the Velcro flap predetermined that.
View attachment 1706389

I know the first thing you want to know about is swamp a$$ with the neoprene. In my limited experience, the seats are no warmer than the unbreathable leather.
Wow those look nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom