Part-Time Conversion on the mind? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will be doing this one of these days, but I am not really interested in replacing the front axle's. Do the instructions have the spec to get the second groove machined?

We have all of that information available with our kits. Step by step instructions are in the works but in the meantime we have any specs you'll need.

Does anyone have a good source in the US for an ABS relocation kit? From Mark's 4WD? Should I just order direct from Australia?

ABS Relocation Kit - LandCruiser 80 & 105 series

mfk2045-web_3.jpg

Are there any decrease in strength over oem drive flanges? Thinking about doing this instead of a dc shaft.

Great question. Yes, the longer spline engagement is better and provides much more surface area against wear. However, now that your birf is only spinning when you've engaged 4WD and/or locked the hubs, it seems much, much less wear. Also, we have upgraded chromoly inner hub gears available in any of our AISIN hubs as desired.

For those looking to add a new groove to your birf. You'll need to move it 8mm

20180220_165305.jpg

If you're working with random parts or unsure what year your axle is... basically we want this dimension (x) to be 26.5mm when you're done:

AISIN HUB MEASURE DIAGRAM.GIF

I spoke to Bryce several weeks ago, and I am definitely looking to go this route when I start rebuilding the locked axles I picked up. Out of curiosity, do these hubs stick out any further than the usual '97 hubs or are they virtually the same?

I spoke to Bryce several weeks ago, and I am definitely looking to go this route when I start rebuilding the locked axles I picked up. Out of curiosity, do these hubs stick out any further than the usual '97 hubs or are they virtually the same?

The AISIN hubs are certainly taller than a drive flange. Just for you :D

upload_2018-2-22_17-23-3.jpeg

(I didn't tap that cap all the way down but you can see the hub is taller)

Thanks for getting back so quickly. That's perfect as the center of my wheel is pretty deep and the further out the better.

Thanks for getting back so quickly. That's perfect as the center of my wheel is pretty deep and the further out the better.

Cool. Let us know when you're ready, we would love to help!

I never got the part number for the rear output bearing. Bryce was great this morning getting my order taken care of. He left me a message that the bearing on the spool end won't be in till Monday but I forgot to ask for the other part number. Or I might be interested in a full transfer case rebuild kit if available.

I never got the part number for the rear output bearing. Bryce was great this morning getting my order taken care of. He left me a message that the bearing on the spool end won't be in till Monday but I forgot to ask for the other part number. Or I might be interested in a full transfer case rebuild kit if available.

The one we press on is the 90366-60008 (our part number TCB60008), the rear output shaft bearing is a 90363-50005. Let us know!

So, a few silly OCD questions before I dive into my part-time install. I've read @LandCruiserPhil's awesome writeup of the 100 series install (LOKKA Part Time on a 2006 LX470 - Transfercase spool installation). And I watched the very informative YouTube video from The 4WD Shed.

Both sources talk about using grease to keep this shims in place while you install the tail section so the shims/spacers don't fall out.

"Apply grease (I like Green grease from Autozone for its superior tackeness) to the races for the idler and output shafts. Next with grease apply place the shims and spacers for the bearing races. If applicable the shims go against the race then the spacer. This is an important step because you DO NOT want the spacers and/or shims to fall off when installing the tall shaft, again Green grease has got this."
LOKKA Part Time on a 2006 LX470 - Transfercase spool installation

Is this the grease to use?

Green_Grease.jpg

Also, what is the correct sealant for the T-case? I realize the generic RTV will work, but I don't mind paying a little extra for the Toyota OEM stuff. Is this what I need? (Toyota PN: 00295-01281)

Sealant.jpg

Finally (I'm really showing my OCD here), has anyone used one of these dispenser guns for the sealant? I've read the sealant sets up quickly, so I thought this might help getting a neat bead on the T-case faces.
Dispenser.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I love the OCD, in the long run it is the best course to take, I’m much more a BFH, .120 Wall 3’ breaker bar, a few curse words and off we go type guy..:)

What I missed was how people are grinding the second groove into their birf’s? If I have to pull the axle shafts out (3rd time in like 5 months) I’m going RCV, but if I can just groove the ones I just rebuilt, I’ll do that.

Also, are most folks rehearing the transfer case at the same time?

Re: Sealant, the 1281 or AISIN equivalent

IMG_3863.jpg

Also, are most folks rehearing the transfer case at the same time?

Total guess from our order history... 50/50

With our inventory of High-Range overdrive and underdrive gears finally catching up I suspect that number will increase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom