Who would you go to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And a friendly ‘heads up’ ...... these are not FJs (my wife has one of these and it’s great in it’s own way) but mostly and reverently called 40s, FJ40s, Land Cruisers :cheers:

Looking for suggestions on who to contact to rebuild my FJ40 near Virginia.

Wow Patrick how long you been waiting to use a big word like nebulous? Thought I'd be vague just to get some replies on shops around that specialize in Toyotas. I did not know there were so many funny people here. How about restore, frame off resto mod, overhaul, make like new and since I don't have a garage that would not be an option. I would like sell my F150 and Jetta then use the FJ more often. Fathomworks is in Norfolk and about 18 miles from me, but they only work on pre '73 vehicles. I don't think Virgina is all that big unless you don't get out much. How about PA, OH, KY, TN, GA, NC for a reputable shop that could do a turn key job. Cummins diesel maybe, new tub, axles, disk brakes, seats etc.

I live East of DC , By the BAY Bridge , I know a few Specialty-Shops U WANT To Know about Like my machine shop that is WORTH the drive from Virginia.......

Since you're in Virginia, you may also want to contact Iron Pig Offroad in Fredericksburg. They claim to be able to do "everything from routine maintenance, suspension and accessory installation, ground up restorations (including in house paint and body work) and custom fabrication."

Iron Pig Off Road

I am surprised it took so long for somone to mention Iron Pig Off Road. They should be able to do the whole thing. My shop can do the mechanicals but we do not do body work. I am in Richmond but IPOR is only an hour north of me. He has the time space to do a complete tear down. I only have 3 bays.

Since you're in Virginia, you may also want to contact Iron Pig Offroad in Fredericksburg. They claim to be able to do "everything from routine maintenance, suspension and accessory installation, ground up restorations (including in house paint and body work) and custom fabrication."

Iron Pig Off Road

That's just up the road a couple hours! Thanks jimkyser

I was in the same boat as you, my idea was send it out and let someone do it. TLC4x4 and Marks Off Road came to my mind, I ended up having Marks Off Road work on the rig and he does a fine job, but as time goes buy, I also decided that I needed to represent the LandCruiser guys, and learn to wrench on it as much as possible. Everyone is different, but I found much joy being able to work on my vehicle (as much as I can within my skill set, but also keep on learning). I am in the food industry, so auto work is a not something I have much knowledge in.

I was in the same boat as you, my idea was send it out and let someone do it. TLC4x4 and Marks Off Road came to my mind, I ended up having Marks Off Road work on the rig and he does a fine job, but as time goes buy, I also decided that I needed to represent the LandCruiser guys, and learn to wrench on it as much as possible. Everyone is different, but I found much joy being able to work on my vehicle (as much as I can within my skill set, but also keep on learning). I am in the food industry, so auto work is a not something I have much knowledge in.

Well Put .........

Buy what you want in acceptable condition or already finished. I paid almost 8k for a 1980 that needed body work. The hole is now an additional 10-12k deep in new and NOS OEM parts to build my ultimate FJ40 and the truck is in pieces. I will have another 10-12 in it to get it completed. It will be my dream rig WHEN done but damn I wish I had saved and bought one already completed.

s-l1600.jpg

I agree and there is so much satifaction in doing it yourself. Then you have the benefit of having a good idea what to do out on the trail when things go south. But as you said everyone is different. I am at a point where I want to be behind the wheel instead of under the tub. I have some abilities but no space or garage and then there is time. Many reasons and things have brought me to go this route and its right for me. Thanks for the reply and comments hope you get out on the trails soon.

Buy what you want in acceptable condition or already finished. I paid almost 8k for a 1980 that needed body work. The hole is now an additional 10-12k deep in new and NOS OEM parts to build my ultimate FJ40 and the truck is in pieces. I will have another 10-12 in it to get it completed. It will be my dream rig WHEN done but damn I wish I had saved and bought one already completed.

I want mine turn key out the door (country) as I want to travel soon. I realize it will cost but finding the right place to do a good job is what's most important to me. I have a 78 it still runs but has issues and my youngest daughter use to go with me to Washington Nat'l Forrest and local places here in VA. I could end up buying a completed one but I will explore this route first.

4 Plus Products is in Miami, AZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom