Who would you go to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for suggestions on who to contact to rebuild my FJ40 near Virginia.

Wow Patrick how long you been waiting to use a big word like nebulous? Thought I'd be vague just to get some replies on shops around that specialize in Toyotas. I did not know there were so many funny people here. How about restore, frame off resto mod, overhaul, make like new and since I don't have a garage that would not be an option. I would like sell my F150 and Jetta then use the FJ more often. Fathomworks is in Norfolk and about 18 miles from me, but they only work on pre '73 vehicles. I don't think Virgina is all that big unless you don't get out much. How about PA, OH, KY, TN, GA, NC for a reputable shop that could do a turn key job. Cummins diesel maybe, new tub, axles, disk brakes, seats etc.

Last edited:
Fantomworks did that 79 when they just started the business and wanted something to display out on Hampton Blvd.

For a total rebuild, the transport costs to send it anywhere in the country will be negligible. Id pick the best shop that will work with your budget and timeline and figure out the rest later. ACC in Atlanta has a great reputation. Trollhole might know of someone, too. $65 to $100 an hour adds up very quickly.

Thanks jdc1, I could deliver it to any of those states, nice road trip. What does ACC stand for and I guess you have had business with them? I'll go to the web and look them up.

The guy with the 40 done by Fantom Works was here on mud for a while (he might still be). I think he was embarrassed by what he paid to have them work on the truck. I've been shocked anytime I've heard them talk about their fees on the show. I think that's typical when having anyone work on your truck. It's all labor. The best thing is to do the work yourself, one small bite at a time.

I agree spotcruiser, but sometimes life gets in the way and I'm running out of time. It's been a dream to do this and long ago I had a nice garage blah, blah, blah ...... I just want to enjoy it more when I drive it. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks jdc1, I could deliver it to any of those states, nice road trip. What does ACC stand for and I guess you have had business with them? I'll go to the web and look them up.

I dont have any personal experience with them but have been impressed with what ive seen on the forum.

Atlanta Custom Creations

It is expensive to have a restoration done. My dad and i are farming out the metal and paintwork on our build because we are pressed for time and space. We took a $4k hit at the first shop and have paid to have that work redone...... ACC seems to be familiar with FJ40s and you wont have to pay for a shop to teach themselves how to do a Landcruiser.

Wow Patrick how long you been waiting to use a big word like nebulous? Thought I'd be vague just to get some replies on shops around that specialize in Toyotas. I did not know there were so many funny people here. How about restore, frame off resto mod, overhaul, make like new and since I don't have a garage that would not be an option. I would like sell my F150 and Jetta then use the FJ more often. Fathomworks is in Norfolk and about 18 miles from me, but they only work on pre '73 vehicles. I don't think Virgina is all that big unless you don't get out much. How about PA, OH, KY, TN, GA, NC for a reputable shop that could do a turn key job. Cummins diesel maybe, new tub, axles, disk brakes, seats etc.

Save some time and possibly money, buy one already restored, contact this guy from Newnan, GA: @Wadesters

Unless you are going to do it yourself, buy one already built. Save a ton of $ and a lot of headaches. Just the reality.

I agree spotcruiser, but sometimes life gets in the way and I'm running out of time. It's been a dream to do this and long ago I had a nice garage blah, blah, blah ...... I just want to enjoy it more when I drive it. Thanks for your reply.

what specifically is so unenjoyable about it now ?

shiny paint jobs are overrated

Last edited:

I guess I'm supposed to be insulted? :meh: I'm not sure how being vague would help you when soliciting information from a bunch of strangers who don't know you, your situation or your truck. There's a big difference between shops who work on Land Cruisers mechanically and who can restore them. Good luck bud.

I guess I'm supposed to be insulted? :meh: I'm not sure how being vague would help you when soliciting information from a bunch of strangers who don't know you, your situation or your truck. There's a big difference between shops who work on Land Cruisers mechanically and who can restore them. Good luck bud.
Your post sounded sarcastic and people have a tendency to infer "tone", intended or not. The OP was trying to start a conversation in an FJ friendly forum.

Sarcastic, cynical, smart ass....take your pick. This is the interweb, you got to have a little thicker skin than that. The only reason I even looked twice at his now edited first post was because his location was Virginia and being from Virginia myself I could steer him in the right direction for local shops and resources.

I didn't understand post #1, sounded like it was speaking to voices in their head or the future or something like that....it wasn't until @iptman #15 post, I realized the OP edited it after he read post #2.

FWIW - I'll stand my post #12.

None the less, reminds me of a skit Steve Hughes does, > click here <

what specifically is so unenjoyable about it now ?

shiny paint jobs are overrated

I am not interested in shiny .... But brakes would be nice, chassis has a crack above rear axle, lots of rust, throttle sticks sometimes, need tires and so on. I keep the battery charged so once a month or so I'll take her out in the neighborhood using the e-brake to stop just to run through the gears.

No, iptman you shouldn't be insulted just get thicker skin. Yeah I am a newby here and I was just looking for some help and two of the first three posts were useless. So yes I did edit my first post and added more detail and thankfully there are some here that are trying to be helpful. GA Architect, I did take your suggestion and reached out to @Wadesters but I have not heard back yet. I will be contacting ACC and I agree that a lot of time and effort of your own will save tons of $$. And that's right you don't know my situation and I don't know any one here, there is a big difference between those who work on and those who restore but finding one a number of people trust and would recommend is worth my time and certainly my money ..... And I have more of the later. So, all in all I did get some good suggestions and replies, Thank you. Then my long time belief was proven once again there are always those 10% of a holes in life that you just have to get past. So if we can move on, I am willing to listen to those of you certainly with more experience here than I on how/where to get my FJ built, fixed and/or restored. My one typing finger is tired now so ya'll have a good weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom