Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can’t believe that still has the chain and pin on the vacuum transfer lever!

Yeah, it’s the things like the pin/chain and such that make this truck so cool. Most of the original stuff is still there, I just have to remove and undo the things that were added and messed up over the years.

Of course, while the truck still has lots of its original bits, there are - unsurprisingly - things that are missing. I’ve been compiling a list as I identify them. While plenty of them are easy to find (tail lights, for example), here are the ones I’ve noted so far that may be tougher.
  1. Switch for Vader light (have cheap/ugly/broken replacement)
  2. Ashtray (original crumbled from rust)
  3. Hood spar/spear/ornament (original cut in two pieces by original owner)
  4. Running boards (missing)
  5. Complete driver’s seat and brackets (replaced by home made brackets and later seat by original owner)

I should be able to help you with all your parts needs, routine and obscure, over time. Call it karma, but As I was doing the final clean out of my old computer desk this morning I came across a room light switch.

I should be able to help you with all your parts needs, routine and obscure, over time. Call it karma, but As I was doing the final clean out of my old computer desk this morning I came across a room light switch.

I figured as much, Mark. When you get the carb rebuild wrapped up, we can talk about adding the first round of stuff on to the order prior to shipping. The items listed above are just a few of the things I’m going to need or want, both large and small.

Once I get the carb back and (hopefully) get it running, next step will be hydraulics - clutch and brakes. And of course, that might mean wheel bearings, seals and such. I’m probably getting way ahead of myself worrying about some of this stuff now, but on the other hand I want to get the hard to find bits when I find them, not wait until the end.

Still assessing what I have, so that I can decide what I need to find. Looking at the top and doors now.

I could use some help on this one. I fear that most of what I have is not original, some of it may not even be for a Land Cruiser at all.

I'm not even going to look at the top itself yet. It is black vinyl, probably a Bestop, possibly for a later truck.

I have two pair of doors — one pair is tan canvas over a wire frame, the others are obviously much later metal framed doors. The later doors were originally green. I do not have correct hinges for the later doors.

But I don't think I have the correct top frame bits for a '64 either. The B post fits OK, also green in color originally, so probably matches the later doors. There are a pair of what appear to be top bars to bridge between the B post and the windshield, bit they don't look to mate up to my early windshield either.

I was given two additional bows, but I don't think they fit any Land Cruisers. They are wider than the tub, no way to attach them at all. I'm leaning toward them being for a boat or something.

Here's some pictures, those of you with early FSTs please let me know if any of this is correct. Would be great if you could direct me to pictures of the proper top frame for a '64 FST, since I suspect I'm going to need to be hunting that down.

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Addendum — Both sides of my tub have an added aluminum rail with snaps for the top. I'm assuming this was added to work with some non-standard top?

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Destin's chronicle of his 1964 fst is an epic resource. Have a look: 1964? 1965? fj40 FST and destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread Might be useful in determining what parts are correct, and incorrect on yours. Couple of Destin's photos for quick reference:

3517041328_9da3e06346_o.jpg
3517042146_469df92fc4_o.jpg

This is a fairly recent thread with photos, questions and a year/model that track similar to yours: 63 FST Tie Rod, Fuel Sending Unit, Brake and Tailight Issues

And while not directly applicable to your year, you might also find some general info, if not pure visual enjoyment, from this thread on the topic of curved-door soft top models earlier than yours: *** Early FST *** (Factory Soft Top depository)

Actually, now I see how I missed those threads, they are all in the FJ25 forum, where I’ve not spent much time. Looks like most of the build threads for early 40 stock restorations are in the 25 forum. Maybe this thread should be moved there.

Thread moved at OP request.

Well, with the info from the separate top frame thread I had posted in the 40 section, and then the info I’ve gleaned so far from the reference threads posted above by @Old Red , I’m getting a pretty good feel for what I have.

And the answer is disappointing, but not terribly surprising. Looks like the B-post, door top rails and doors are usable, even if not original to this particular truck. The rest is worthless to me. I suspect the soft wire frame doors have no particular value to anyone. The black vinyl top itself might be usable for someone, but I’m going to need to wait for warm weather to be able to lay it out and see what it really fits before trying to find it a new home.

The larger part for me in the future is to acquire the parts I am still missing. I will need to do this prior to pulling the tub for paint, as I probably need to have the top I intend to use in the end first, so I can figure out which of the literally dozens of holes in this rig can be welded up.

As for the parts I know are missing now, looks like I need the 2 brackets where the door top rails attach to the windshield frame, the door hinge parts that attach to the tub, door checks, and all of the frame from the B-posts back.

The list of needed parts just keeps getting longer...

L Bracket - Hardtop to Windshield
brackets to mount piece above door to windshield frame

rest of the rear bows can be bought from replica places, but will be expensive, or bent up, but finding someone with the correct radii die is an issue...for that reason, i'd recommend a replica set, plus they will come with the brackets in the back if yours are missing

last i checked turnbuckles for oem tops were still available at toyota, but that's been a few years. the pieces on the door frames are aftermarket door strikers for the tan doors.

replica tops, contact abe on rising sun, not sure what his user name here is.

other things to note, taillights are not original, nor is mirror head (still available through toyota). dont' lose that pintle hook...that's a factory deal.

i might still have a set of the defrosters from an extra windshield in my rafters.

Thanks for the link to the brackets. That part is easy, at least.

Rear bows will be more than I hoped, but at least they are available. I've reached out to the PO to ask if they might still exist in a corner of his barn or such-like, and have offered to give him back the non-Toyota bows (which I suspect are for a boat). Will need to see what I hear from him on this.

I'll search up Rising Sun for info. Also have read good things about the tops that Trollhole started.

Correct (small) tail lights are on my list, as are mirror heads. Actually, the list is getting longer pretty fast...

Looks like Abe hasn’t been active on MUD for over a year. I’ll probably try to reach out to him when the time comes, but looks like he might be out of the business now.

Re: the other bows, I thought that as well, but those bows are way to wide for a FJxx. Maybe it’s the other way ‘round - the wire frame doors are actually for whatever vehicle the other bows fit?

weird. all looks like what would have been on a 40. bows maybe bronco or early blazer...jeeps weren't wider, so def not that. dont have pics of the doors on my old 68, but they looked the same as the brown doors (just in black) with the high side mount and snaps.

the bows look like the bows that were on annie. pic below
2013-01-09_17-51-59_837.jpg

Yeah, somewhat baffling. I took another look at the tan wire frame doors, they were obviously designed for a ‘64-up LC. The shape and such is too correct, and would actually fit pretty well if the canvas hadn’t shrunk so badly. No way to stretch it enough to get all the snaps at the front snapped.

But the other bows aren’t even close. At least 6” wider than the truck.

Snapped a close up pic; January ‘63 build date on the carb.
E2673827-A5A7-4518-80D7-AA7966553E3E.jpeg

@65swb45 - Thanks for that, Mark. Much earlier than I would have guessed. I’m going to need to hunt around for date codes on other parts now, and see how they compare to the carb date.

Still appears that mine is a ‘64 model despite a possible really early ‘63 build. The obvious stuff is all ‘64 - door openings, TOYOTA sticker on the rear sill, offset rear diff and 4” (overall) brake lights. (Or rather, I have the factory brackets for the 4” lights, not for the small 3” used through ‘63.)

Looking forward to getting the carb back, and getting it running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom