New 1962 FJ40 FST

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are your thoughts for tires for this truck? It has no lift. Stock Suspension. The ones that are one it are dry rotted and need replaced to safely drive at highway speeds regularly. I was thinking about BF Goodrich Mud 31X10.50R15. Should I go with Mud or AT tires? Is there something else I should consider other than BFG tires? My first preference would go all in with a new Old Man Emu suspension and 33" BFG Mud. I like the look. I am just not sure I want to lift this truck and go that direction.
 
What are your thoughts for tires for this truck? It has no lift. Stock Suspension. The ones that are one it are dry rotted and need replaced to safely drive at highway speeds regularly. I was thinking about BF Goodrich Mud 31X10.50R15. Should I go with Mud or AT tires? Is there something else I should consider other than BFG tires? My first preference would go all in with a new Old Man Emu suspension and 33" BFG Mud. I like the look. I am just not sure I want to lift this truck and go that direction.
Don't lift it Gabe. Keep it stock height and original with Tires that look period correct.
 
Shift rod on the other side of the country. Holler if you can’t find one closer.
IMG_9331.webp


IMG_9331.webp
 
Shift rod on the other side of the country. Holler if you can’t find one closer.View attachment 3609522

View attachment 3609521
Thank you for the offer. I was not aware that the threaded end of the rod was separate from the long rod. I don’t have an early 40’s manual. So, what I need is this piece below if you have one. Without a hole. lol

image.webp


image.webp
 
I bet if one of those pieces fell in the hand of a machinist we’d have a repro option fairly readily. Of course as long as John @pardion has his stashes we are good to go 😉.
 
I was noticing the tuna can turn signals are single sided in the 2001 Toyota Trails pics, and now. Could they also be original? Asking for a friend.
 
I was noticing the tuna can turn signals are single sided in the 2001 Toyota Trails pics, and now. Could they also be original? Asking for a friend.
I believe the single sided ones are original on this 40. It is a 1962 dated 1962 on the
I was noticing the tuna can turn signals are single sided in the 2001 Toyota Trails pics, and now. Could they also be original? Asking for a friend.
original on mine
 
Very cool. Interesting: tin can blinkers and black speedo face plate. My 62 had stock double lens blinkers but also had stock black speedo face plate. Toyota must have been throwing together a variety back in 1962? I never could figure that out. Great find!
 
I remember this on the cover of TT. Very nice surviver. Too bad the top doesn't fit. Truly the curse of the early tops no source for canvas tops.

Can see this was one that originally had defrost vents. Been removed for obvious reasons. At some point added the quick release latches to lower the windshield. Have a matching numbers 40.I bought from a wrecking yard that has a higher VIN with early stud with a nut to lower the windshield.
PXL_20250327_012836170.webp
PXL_20240626_203844149.webp
20220921_192421.webp

The 62 tub I bought had the same latch on it as well. They didn't clean up the original holes before added the latches. It had the silver cluster. But it was earlier. Pre defrost vents and ashtray. That one was a shame it was parted out. Another California rust free cruiser.

One small detail I would fix it throw a fuel pump with the hand primer on it. .
 
Any thoughts on those holes in the frame in post #16 frame pics?
 
Back
Top Bottom