Builds Big Red Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you re-torque the head gasket a couple times?

No, only rechecked it and added a bit over the recommendation. I drove it maybe 10 days, I was going to retorque it at the end of the month.

I blew through a head gasket because I didn't re-torque it soon enough and/or enough times. I did several rounds the last one I did and I have not had a problem with it yet. So hopefully yours is just a compromised gasket with no further head trauma. Don't forget to use the good lube on the head studs when you torque it down. That way you'll have real ft.lbs. on the head and not a false reading from the friction between the stud threads and the nut. Stuff relaxes from heat cycling and tolerances can loosen a little especially running twice the boost and playing with timing so re-torqueing is important.

I blew through a head gasket because I didn't re-torque it soon enough and/or enough times. I did several rounds the last one I did and I have not had a problem with it yet. So hopefully yours is just a compromised gasket with no further head trauma. Don't forget to use the good lube on the head studs when you torque it down. That way you'll have real ft.lbs. on the head and not a false reading from the friction between the stud threads and the nut. Stuff relaxes from heat cycling and tolerances can loosen a little especially running twice the boost and playing with timing so re-torquing is important.

Mine is leaking near cylinder 1.
20171110_160816.jpg

How many times should I retorque this thing? What did you torque yours to and any particular pattern? maybe I did it wrong.

I'm now experiencing electrical issues with my other toy, so the timing is perfect (sarcasm):doh:.

That is odd where it's leaking oil. I had a coolant leak from that spot one time but not oil. I don't think there are any oil passages on that top side of the block, just coolant passages. Just some thoughts seeing that picture: Is the oil leaking from somewhere else (like a valve cover) and traveling that way? Somehow leaking from the small turbo and running down that side? Oil cooler is lower but why would oil travel against gravity. If it's not leaking and traveling to that spot then you may have to pull the head and check it out. If it's leaking from somewhere else I'd still do a re-torque of the head.

Yes, a torque pattern is specific. You can type in "6bt head torque pattern" into google and look at the first image. A 6bt pattern will work because the number 1 bolt to start with is the same on the 4bt and 6bt so that will get you the pattern (it's a circular out pattern starting in the middle).

The first time torquing down I lubed the studs and nut washers with arp lube and did it in steps, ~60 ftlbs on all nuts following the pattern, then starting at bolt 1 again going to ~110 ftlbs on all nuts, then ~125 ftlbs, and finally 135ftlbs. On the re-torque I started at bolt 1, loosened just that nut and made sure I still had lube on the threads and retightened it to 135ftlbs. I went to bolt 2 and did the same thing of loosening, checking for lube, and re-torqueing to 135ftlbs until I finished them all. Then, because I was paranoid I did a re-torque one more time that session. I ran the engine gently for a week to get in some heat cycling and then re-torqued again two more times the next weekend. I'm sure this was overkill but with my plan of running more boost and playing with timing I wanted to make sure I got that sucker clamped down.

Last edited:
I was thinking something similar. Wouldn't there be coolant leaks instead of oil if it was the head gasket?

I’m thinking same thing as Dave but didn’t think I was smart enough to post since I have never pulled a head on a Cummins.

I"m worried it's a cracked head. I don't see oil coming from anywhere else. The oil lines seem to seep or have a drop, but nothing major. My buddy will take the head off on Monday or Tuesday and we'll figure it out from there. I'm glad it broke down on the way to his shop.

Been busy with work, school and family so progress has been slow. The head is back on, there is no obvious crack in it. Seems like a bad gasket, at least that's my hope. Tried to run it today but the starter is dead. Will try again tomorrow.
20171120_173053.jpg

Relocated the oil dip stick to the side of the engine bay.
20171124_135939.jpg

Deleted some silicone boots by welding the intercooler tube.
20171124_135946.jpg

Been driving it around for a bit. Hoping it was just a bad head gasket and a one off problem.

Last edited:
Make sure that dipstick tube has enough slack so that it's not pulled out of the block when going down the road!

First kayak trip this year, we only waited till December to go. We paddle boarded a few times earlier this year though. For those familiar with lady bird lake, the vegetation has been nearly eaten clean, you can see the bottom. I can't remember the last time I saw the bottom of the lake.

20171202_151646.jpg
20171202_153939.jpg
20171202_160441.jpg

As per tradition, we went and ate some shawarma afterwards. Big red is running great, lets hope it stays that way.
20171202_171541.jpg
20171202_172746.jpg

Awesome Mike. I love shawarma. We need to get lunch one of these days.

Spent the day at @davegonz place with a bunch of cool guys. He hosted us for a wrench day. Worked on our cruisers, drank good beer and ate way too much Mexican food.

Dave has a beautiful 40.
20171209_100207.jpg

Then other 40s arrived.
20171209_115815.jpg

20171209_120516.jpg
makes me want a 40.
20171209_135927.jpg
I retorqued the head studs. A few of them turned about an 8th of a turn, but they were otherwise with in specs. I guess I'll be doing this once in a while until I'm comfortable that the head gasket won't give.
20171209_103602.jpg

Went to cars and coffee this morning, it was my first time there. I was surprised to see how many Toyota's there were. I think at one point someone said there were 43 and that's after some had left. I saw a few old friends @Mr Cimarron as well as a couple others. There were some expensive cars there, but i didn't care too much for them.

Here are a few pics.

20171210_084250.jpg

20171210_090232.jpg

What you don't see in the picture below is the mazda 3 for sale for 7k parked in the 6 figure section.

20171210_085833.jpg

20171210_090434.jpg

20171210_094757.jpg

I really liked the solar panel on the hood idea. I might replicate it.

Here’s the Mazda that thought it belonged next to the Mclaren. If you can’t afford the G-Wagon on Portals or Mclaren you can settle for the Mazda.
0B4F2F78-4087-423A-AD19-57D528438C21.jpeg

A friend of mine sent me this earlier today. Anyone have any details on this guy?

Edit: Took down the videos

Last edited:
I mocked up the trailer and big red to check how they line up and if the lights work. Discovered an oil film around the transfer case gear box area. Not sure if the vast box is leaking or its from the engine and flowing back. I also noticed that the blow by tube leaks more oil since the compound turbo install.
Our plans are to go on a camping trip after Christmas. I'll retorque the head before i do that and check what i can. I'm the meanwhile enjoy a few poser pics.
20171220_172949(0).jpg
20171220_173924.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom