2 stacked diesel fuel tanks, is that even a thing ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well as the thread suggests I have 1 diesel fuel tank installed and another in good condition I got with the rig (car was petrol and now diesel so the previous owner changed the tank)

I do take long trips and at some stage I have to a long range fuel tank, so my out of the box question is:

Can i simply install the 2nd tank (plenty of clearance as I have my spare wheel on a carrier at the back) in a way where the car draws from the bottom tank and the one above is for fueling ? (he did give me the old fuel pump he used to transfer between tanks? not sure what his setup was though)
In theory the car will draw from bottom tank and whatever is in the tank above will replace (the fuel gauge will be off by 90 liters or so for sure.)

The alternative would be to either cut one of the tanks make it thicker, or cut 2 tanks and make them into one (Importing is not an option so I have to work locally).

Idea, suggestions are more than welcome ( i did do a search but have not yet found a thread for this example. I will keep looking in the mean time)

Oh on a side note, apparantly putting a couple of epoxy coats in the tank from the inside is a thing here in Egypt.
Any one done that?

Last edited:
Gas tanks usually have a fill spout and vent lines. If one tank is above the other, feeding by gravity, the lower tank will overflow

So pump between them ? Make one big tank ?
Out of my depth on this tbh.

Will use the spare tank as a platform for the extended tank. Way above my experience so will go to a shop on saturday to see what they plan to do.

As far as I understand they use part of the existing tank (pickup, lines, connections etc.) and weld / build the rectangle tank. I have an extra one anyways so we shall see.

Any ideas on the epoxy coating ? Has any one done / seen that ?

Seems like its a common practice in motorcycles ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8DJ8pUw9Yc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom