Builds Big Red Toy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super Bowl Sunday, spent it at my buddy's property shooting a ton of guns. He's an operator with several tours under his belt. Great American.

We had Beer bbq and bullets.

20180204_154622.jpg
there were two other pickups filled with guns ammo in the bed.
20180204_145340.jpg
old Willys, she runs.
20180204_174003.jpg

FJ40 with a 350 Chevy and a 270 Z
20180204_145343.jpg
he's Gonna bring it to round up this year.
20180204_145107.jpg

Prepping Big Red for Round Up 2018. Retorqued the head studs, cleaned air filter and topped off fluids.
Now to charge the trailer battery.

20180304_134850.jpg
20180304_134857.jpg

So, did the head studs loosen up? How many times have you tightened them up now?

So, did the head studs loosen up? How many times have you tightened them up now?
They haven't loosened up this time. One of them turned a hair. It's my second time tightening them since I blew the head gasket. I'm just paranoid, but rather make sure everything is ready and not get stuck on the road to katemcy.

Last edited:
Well, looks like a great start to the week. My speedometer decided to die on the way to work and I'm seeing some seepage of oil on the transfer case. I had seepage there before, but it turned out the retaining bolt was backing out. I have to take a look at it this week, hopefully it's not gonna cause issues for round up.

Last edited:
Which retaining bolt are you referring to? I always seem to have a drop or two hanging on the TC. Never hits th ground but I always wipe it clean when I’m underneath. I did notice the sensor that blew up last week for me sent oil all the way back to TC. I was amazed at how far the oil traveled and coated things.

It's the bolt that holds the idler shaft in place. It might have a different technical name that I'm not aware of.

It's the bolt that holds the idler shaft in place. It might have a different technical name that I'm not aware of.
Yeah I have a slight weep from there as well but mine is coming from the idler shaft.

You better make it to roundup. I dont want to be the only motor swap 60 on bead locks and like 37s

:flipoff2:

I might have to baby her a bit, but I'll be there. I missed last year, not gonna miss this year.

So I woke up Friday bright and early to get the rig and trailer ready for Round Up 2018. I texted my friends to see what time we're meeting up to convoy, and that's when I was told I'm off by an entire week. I suppose I could have made it to work, but decided to enjoy the weather and work on my motorcycle instead. I changed the the spark plugs and have been riding it for two straight days.

Big Red and trailer packed and ready.
20180309_125454.jpg

Beast getting some maintenance work done.
20180309_100939.jpg

Rode it until I finally got to BOOB miles. I know I'm a child, but I waited 12 years to get her there. I pulled off the highway to take this picture.
20180309_115934.jpg

Did some more riding today in the hill country. Every motorcycle must have been out enjoying the weather.
20180310_172200.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go back to focusing on Big Red.

It was a perfect day for a ride. 1,001 more miles until more boob. 9,009 and look at it upside down.

Better to be ready a week early then miss it entirely

True. I guess tomorrow I'll wake up early and do more maintenance and change the oil. I haven't changed it since I returned from Syria.

No pictures today, but I did change the oil and drive it for roughly 60 miles. The oil change was messy, the driveway has a large oil spill on it now and I'm hoping to be at work by the time the Mrs sees it. The remote filter now that it's lower near the engine spilled when I unscrewed it. It was much cleaner when it was located in the of the engine bay higher than the engine itself.

It was really windy today. Drove it for 30 miles on the highway against the wind. Managed 72-74 mph with 20 psi constant and 1150* with the engine temp at 200*. On the way down was doing 78-82 mph with an average of 15 psi highway and between 950 and 1050* and engine temp at 190*. Wind resistance makes a huge difference in a tall rig like this. My speedometer is still broken so I was using the GPS to measure speed and distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom