AHC - Sudden Loss of Functionality - HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I took the sensor apart and the spring were pretty corroded and shot. There was a fair bit of water in the sensor as well. Picture below. One spring broke into 4 pieces as I tried to remove it. I salvaged a spring from a ballpoint pen and put that in and now my truck is back to normal, if only temporarily.

I did some searching and it seems that the height control sensors are the same as those used in Toyota's headlight leveling system. I ordered a Dorman 924755 sensor to replace mine. I will be sealing all 3 of mine up as well to prevent further corrosion.

This is the prius headlight sensor:
2004-2009 Toyota Prius Headlight Level Sensor - Body Electrical - Standard Motor Products, Rear Left 04-09 Prius Headlight Level Sensor - 18054-05523039 - PartsGeek

This is what I bought...
Amazon.com: Dorman 924755 Headlight Sensor: Automotive

View attachment 1391189

I have seen @PADDO make reference to a Dorman sensor, but I don't know much more than that.

level sensor.jpg

By the way don't ignore the speed sensor error I've had one guy mess his gearbox cos of faulty speed sensors.

Great info, thanks for finding and attaching that!! The guys on here are so helpful!! Thanks guys!!

Read the reviews on Amazon on those. Seems to be a bad design that wears out the carbon trace after a few weeks. We need guinea pigs.

Camino quoted a post of mine above but I cracked the Dorman one open and it seems identical to the stock sensor. Been running it on my rear height sensor for a while now with no issues.

Read the reviews on Amazon on those. Seems to be a bad design that wears out the carbon trace after a few weeks. We need guinea pigs.
I like to practice what I preach - put my money where my mouth is - whatever and have been running the Dormans for quite a while (18 months?) with zero performance issues. I did a write up with pics and comparison to OE a while back and the only identifiable difference is the Dormans have apparent copper springs and the OE appear to have either gold or brass plated springs and the OE have a manufacturing date code printed on them. Otherwise they swap straight in.

I just ordered one via e-bight, for 17.75. We'll se how it measures up.

I just ordered one as well. Attempting to return the $$$ one I already ordered :doh:

I like to practice what I preach - put my money where my mouth is - whatever and have been running the Dormans for quite a while (18 months?) with zero performance issues. I did a write up with pics and comparison to OE a while back and the only identifiable difference is the Dormans have apparent copper springs and the OE appear to have either gold or brass plated springs and the OE have a manufacturing date code printed on them. Otherwise they swap straight in.
Can you post a link to your post, please

I would be interested in some pics, the location of this sensor on our trucks, and a write up on how to swap out the sensor. I don't have any issues with my AHC, but just like knowing and cataloging the info in my long term memory.

Can you post a link to your post, please
If you search "Dorman" by me you'll find a post where I've measured resistances, angular displacement etc and point out that the front OE potentiometers are left and right hand oriented and the Dorman potentiometers are right handed; however they do swap directly over and fit/function in left, right and rear installs. Best to swap over off vehicle to ensure you seat their lever arms properly and don't accidentally rotate the potentiometers wiper beyond its stops.

@PADDO So, I replaced the RR Height sensor with the Dorman unit, and adjusted all the sensors for a bit of lift. I still get the RR Height Sensor malfunction DTC in Techstream. I have tried to clear the code but it doesn't seem to work. I then tried to do it manually (E1 and TC jumper) and nothing. The height adjust switch will not operate and the OFF light flashes when driving. Is there something I have failed to do? Is there an additional calibration? Anything?

Last edited:
Subscribe. I'm about to swap out my FL sensor with a Dorman and would like to know if there's anything else to it than the switch. I don't have techstream so I'm hoping that's not required. :nailbiting:

Subscribe. I'm about to swap out my FL sensor with a Dorman and would like to know if there's anything else to it than the switch. I don't have techstream so I'm hoping that's not required. :nailbiting:
It is fairly simple, just remove the switch from the assembly and re-install. Make sure to mark the position of the top bolt of assembly in slot in order to put it back where it was, or take a picture of the position. Unless you want to go ahead and do an AHC lift while you're under there.

@PADDO So, I replaced the RR Height sensor with the Dorman unit, and adjusted all the sensors for a bit of lift. I still get the RR Height Sensor malfunction DTC in Techstream. I have tried to clear the code but it doesn't seem to work. I then tried to do it manually (E1 and TC jumper) and nothing. The height adjust switch will not operate and the OFF light flashes when driving. Is there something I have failed to do? Is there an additional calibration? Anything?
If a new potentiometer hasn't rectified the problem and DTCs won't manually clear (Tc&E1 jumped + brake pushes) then this really suggests a harness issue - DTC 1713 is "rear height control sensor circuit" open or short. The erratic and random height behavior you initially saw is/was indicative of a failing height sensor/mechanism but this won't necessarily throw a code until the system sees either a very low voltage , <0.3v ~ short, or > 4.7v ~ open circuit. If the sensor is in the process of dying through wear/corrosion then it usually provides bad feedback resulting in bad levelling control which is what you saw. Ideally you'd connect Techstream and with just IG on confirm that the sensors are responding to changes in chassis height, jack up/lower the rear and observe the feedback change to the ecu etc. At a minimum put a multimeter on the replacement sensor and confirm its function; about 3900 ohms iirc between pins 1-3, place the wiper at mid displacement and you should read about 1950 ohms 1-2 and 2-3; gently rotate the wiper shaft and observe the resistance changes from min to ~ 3900 ohms between 2-1 and 2-3 depending on which way you rotate the wiper shaft. If you can verify the replacement pot is fine then you'll need to get into harness and connector tracing looking for bad/loose/corroded connectors, chafed wiring, exhaust gas leak burn through and such.
You initially listed several other faults too - 1762 (very common fault that can probably be ignored if it doesn't continually set); 1763 (abnormal over pressure possibly due to solenoid valve failing to open - this is interesting); 1776 (speed sensor circuit - you've got the height sensor override? so not unexpected if the switch has been flicked whilst moving etc) and 1777 (steering signal? my 03 LX FSM doesn't list this as an AHC fault as such, it does come up as a GX fault though so not sure about this sucker). So where too? I'd try and start with a clean slate: clear faults; observe height sensor feedback; post a screen shot of the AHC ecu page up with all parameters; verify the 3 connectors at the ecu are seated properly and that the override wiring was done appropriately with good insulation on the splices and the switch; verify no other wires were inadvertently cut/badly reconnected etc; in Techstream I'd try operating the control valve and accumulator solenoids (you can also operate these manually by shorting Ts&E1 and configuring the height control switch modes); check/clean/reseat each connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom