AHC just get rid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The amount of posts here about AHC failure has led me to believe that this is an expensive component that is not necessary and can be easily sidelined. Note I work my cruisers in rough environments and the simpler the better

Are you looking for input? Or is this just sort of a fatwa lol
I run cruisers in the bush and every other thread is about AHC this and that and better to convert to solid suspension if it is so unreliable? I just put in an Old Man Emu suspension in and happy days

I guess I haven't really seen enough AHC failure threads to feel like they're all doom and gloom, but in your use case I'd probably err toward a conventional suspension too.

I guess I haven't really seen enough AHC failure threads to feel like they're all doom and gloom, but in your use case I'd probably err toward a conventional suspension too.
Have a look through some of these pages mate. Just saying that if it is contentious then rip it out

Ya I just had a search, and definitely not enough to carpet bomb a system that has 25 years of implementation under it's belt. Gut feeling says that failures are of a different type, and granted, likely more complicated, than a conventional suspension, but probably not at a significantly higher frequency for most users.

People generally don't create a thread to say "all is well with my AHC"

They seem to create a thread when some assistance is needed. That's why one might incorrectly come to the conclusion that the system is problematic.

I'd say maybe 10 years ago that would be the mentality, but now with techstream and some of the users here who have dug into and really understand the system, I think more and more are keeping it. Microcosm of Mud again, endemic freeway vibrations, AHC issues, etc

"AHC is bad rip it out" has become akin to someone's dad saying "Change yer oil every 3k miles or your engine will blow up."

Toyota designed an incredibly robust hydraulic suspension system that, with regular easy maintenance, can last the lifetime of the truck.

Feel free to send me your AHC components instead of tossing them in the dumpster.

I got rid of that crap years ago. Wasn’t impressed with it at all. Failed on the trail etc on a super low mile vehicle. Not worth it. Rides way better on icons anyways

For the sake of simplicity I tend to do a lot of deletes on cars but the ahc is the one thing I have retained. I have had great success with air and hydraulic suspension systems. The lx is on all original components at nearly 280k. Good maintanance and usuing the systems features keeps it active and healthy. Our shop does a lot of Benze service and the hydraulic syestems were always reliable, until they went airmatic.

The Toyota ahc system is quite simple and very robust. Low mileage failures just say it mostly sat around, wasn't used, and because of this, not maintained.

203,000 miles on my 06 LX with the original AHC, just checked pressures in Techstream just to see how they were holding up. Still in the specified range front and rear after multiple off-road trips and some accidental jumping over large "whoops" dips. If it's maintained, it will not fail unless you're constantly doing highspeed jumps in your cruiser. Mine did fail ONCE just after purchase, prior owner did not do any sort of maintenance so the torsion bars were never adjusted and the fluid never changed. Once I adjusted the torsion bars and flushed the AHC fluid, worked just fine without having to do any sort of repair or replacement to any of the components. And unless you're investing in a high end suspension setup like King or Fox, you will not be able to match the ride quality of the stock AHC system. Contrary to what someone above posted, budget kits like Icon can't hold a candle to the ride quality of a well maintained AHC system.

Ok fellas was simply suggesting it is a headache and can be bypassed but many would conclude that if well maintained it gives a better ride. In the bush, the undercarriage tends to get bashed up and I wonder how robust the system is in rough terrain?

Ok fellas was simply suggesting it is a headache and can be bypassed but many would conclude that if well maintained it gives a better ride. In the bush, the undercarriage tends to get bashed up and I wonder how robust the system is in rough terrain?
Yes, there are more parts that can fail on an AHC equipped 100-series than on one with a conventional suspension. For a robust truck that will be used in the wilderness, it is safer without AHC. Still, AHC is comfortable, adjustable, reliable and adaptable, for most use cases.

Had a well-maintained AHC system on a 2004 LX and would love to have it on my current LC. 1000’s of miles off pavement and carrying loads of firewood in the back. Absolutely 0 issues. Now can I get a 100 with AHC and no nav? Or a 200 in Super White with AHC and no nav? Fat chance.

Had a well-maintained AHC system on a 2004 LX and would love to have it on my current LC. 1000’s of miles off pavement and carrying loads of firewood in the back. Absolutely 0 issues. Now can I get a 100 with AHC and no nav? Or a 200 in Super White with AHC and no nav? Fat chance.
Most of us wish. I'll get on the "NAV just get rid" thread ASAP lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom