What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (123 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been reading that many wagon owners actually use the castor bushings from the 80 and they work on these rigs. So that's what I'm going to try.

Interesting..

Also that they are radius arm in the rear.

I wish I could afford to put one of those engines into my 80..

Interesting..

Also that they are radius arm in the rear.

I wish I could afford to put one of those engines into my 80..
No joke, this is the 5.5L V8 twin turbo. We also fabbed up an exhaust for it and it sounds ridiculous when the turbos spool. So much power

Great stuff as usual Phil! Would like to see the routes/trails you took. This area is pretty desolate and not much info out there.

I planned on post about the area. I was out a month back for a few days but needed to go back with aerial maps of the area to get where I wanted to go. Going over my tracks I actually crossed the mountain range at 5 different trails. I have only seen a few people in ~450 miles of dirt. This time for 3 days ~250miles of dirt and 168 pictures:eek:

You really feel the remoteness with untraveled road and cool stuff still in tack. Pic below was taken at Google Maps

Im happy to go back still more I want to see with some short hiking maybe, let me know.

IMG_8625[1].JPG
IMG_8652[1].JPG

I planned on post about the area. I was out a month back for a few days but needed to go back with aerial maps of the area to get where I wanted to go. Going over my tracks I actually crossed the mountain range at 5 different trails. I have only seen a few people in ~450 miles of dirt. This time for 3 days ~250miles of dirt and 168 pictures:eek:

You really feel the remoteness with untraveled road and cool stuff still in tack. Pic below was taken at Google Maps

Im happy to go back still more I want to see with some short hiking maybe, let me know.

View attachment 1430386 View attachment 1430387

Did you knock on the door of that trailer to see if anyone was home?

Did you knock on the door of that trailer to see if anyone was home?

The trailer is locked with no broken windows, amazing itself in the US. It has been so long since it has been open all the curtains have just rotted away. The inside looks like the owners just walked away with everything still in place but now the breading grounds for hantavirus.

It also has a bathroom with an amazing view. The can to the side looks to be full of lime.

IMG_8653[1].JPG

The trailer is locked with no broken windows, amazing itself in the US. It has been so long since it has been open all the curtains have just rotted away. The inside looks like the owners just walked away with everything still in place but now the breading grounds for hantavirus.

It also has a bathroom with an amazing view. The can to the side looks to be full of lime.

View attachment 1430528

I feel like I have seen it on Airbnb......and I really should stop watching the walking dead

Finally got out to drive a dirt road I've been eyeing for over a year. 48.7 miles of bliss. Spent one night and a nifty camp ground, engaged 4 low a couple of times and earned a battle scar. Time for sliders (I think I messed up the order of that). :hillbilly:
No, that's usually the way it goes...

:doh:

View attachment 1430528
I stumbled on a place like that in Nevada (?) once. Ancient trailer, a bunch of '40s era cars, all kinds of random stuff laying around...

Started a deflare process in Borrego a few weekends ago.

IMG_20170304_151827-X3.jpg

Finished it up on Mojave Road. Really should start looking where I'm backing up.

IMG_20170327_102020-X2.jpg

IMG_20170327_102022-L.jpg

Mojave Road is really good right now. Beautiful country, tons of flowers. Doesn't get better than this!

IMG_20170325_182644-L.jpg

IMG_20170327_184734-L.jpg

IMG_20170327_115927-L.jpg

IMG_1655.JPG
@Dubbinchris, I've noticed your sig. Color me jelly. A Sport Quattro is literally my all-time dream car.
Well I have an Ur-Quattro not a sport Quattro. While mine is rare the sport Quattro is really rare, was sold in Europe only, and now cost about $500,000 to get one. Here is mine.

View attachment 1430634
Well I have an Ur-Quattro not a sport Quattro. While mine is rare the sport Quattro is really rare, was sold in Europe only, and now cost about $500,000 to get one. Here is mine.

I also had one back in the day with lockers 5cly FI turbo IIRC 40K in 83:eek:. I remember the sun roof sucked because it just lifted out with no factory mounting place. It did work out when I went slopes just let the ski's hang out the sun roof. Bad ass car for the day low compression high boost with tons of turbo lags like driving a 2 stroke but when its on the pipe it pulled hard.

View attachment 1430528

Nice stepping stone for short people, wouldn't want them to lose their footing either. :flush:

I also had one back in the day with lockers 5cly FI turbo IIRC 40K in 83:eek:. I remember the sun roof sucked because it just lifted out with no factory mounting place. It did work out when I went slopes just let the ski's hang out the sun roof. Bad ass car for the day low compression high boost with tons of turbo lags like driving a 2 stroke but when its on the pipe it pulled hard.
There is actually a place in the trunk to store the sun roof once you lift it out. ;)

Yeah brand new they were super expensive for the day. Mine is an 85. The last year they were sold in North America. The US only got about 74 of them. They had a few minor updates that the previous two years didn't have. Mostly electrical upgraded and later style dash. The drivetrain stayed the same. It wasn't until the later years and in Europe only that they put the 20 valve motor in. Was still an inline 5 though. I enjoy the car well enough. I feel very lucky to even own one.

There is actually a place in the trunk to store the sun roof once you lift it out. ;)

Yeah brand new they were super expensive for the day. Mine is an 85. The last year they were sold in North America. The US only got about 74 of them. They had a few minor updates that the previous two years didn't have. Mostly electrical upgraded and later style dash. The drivetrain stayed the same. It wasn't until the later years and in Europe only that they put the 20 valve motor in. Was still an inline 5 though. I enjoy the car well enough. I feel very lucky to even own one.

I purchased mine through a US gov liquidation auction of a convicted druglord assets. :D

Bought some items to put my FJ back together. RH headlight, CDL switch, and D pillar seat belts since my 1993 somehow has a 1995 rear seat which doesn't work with the 1993 Seat belts.

Tomorrow I'm dropping it off at a shop that I found here to hopefully to find and fix the Death Wobble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom