My answer to the 80 series weak link - all toyota HD front axle (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i can't help but wonder if you would have come out about the same if you had just put a low pinion 8" in there?

i can't help but wonder if you would have come out about the same if you had just put a low pinion 8" in there?

I would think it'd blow up faster... the 8" reverse cut gears are 30% stronger so a standard 8" standard cut would crumple. Actually saw it happen last weekend at Morris Mountain on a friends minitruck.

I'm comfortable with the dif... I'm scratching my head at the knuckles. I refuse to drop a grand into histeer-only. I'd go dana60 before I spend $2000 on this axle. My goal is to wheel and not break, not to show-off in camp, an all yota axle is bad-ass but if I can't make it work financially then I can't make it work.
I keep going back to ben's ultimate axle and reading about what broke on his old axle... i keep seeing what breaks on these modified minitruck axles, as well as these ftoys and everything else that runs minitruck fronts. It's not the longfields breaking first, it's the dif. And most of those rigs are running the hi-pinion 8".
Badass threw FJ60 axles with longs under his FJ40 crawler on 40's and wheels the PISS out of that thing. In his group of friends, he is the only yota in a group of Dana60 rigs.... He is wheeling at the same parks I do, so If he can keep that axle together, then i sure as hell could too...
I suppose my point is, this axle may be receiving mini-truck balls, knuckles, longs. Why? because 80-series s*** is retardedly priced.

Can you get the mini truck longs in the correct width?

same length as the 1st gen 80-series birfs. Run the narrow flanges or better yet, buy the aftermarket flange kit with ARP studs and added dowels. Or even run manny hubs...

i have a friend in Ringold Ga who machined his own hi-steer arms for a 80 axle last year, i can see if he would be willing to make more and for how much if you want me to?

I'm sure you've seen this:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/294260-jodo-97-lx450-coilover-project.html

post 7 with the RHD steering arm seems like the answer to me.

yeah, i love his work...
But it's got to be double-sheered... those arms alone will not hold up to the abuse i will throw at it. So something has to come off the top of the knuckle.
Help me out here Matt, surely someone in Alabama can fab some halfass piece of steel for me? it doesn't have to be the holy-grail, it's just gotta assist what Jodo has done there with the RHD arm....

yeah, i love his work...
But it's got to be double-sheered... those arms alone will not hold up to the abuse i will throw at it. So something has to come off the top of the knuckle.
Help me out here Matt, surely someone in Alabama can fab some halfass piece of steel for me? it doesn't have to be the holy-grail, it's just gotta assist what Jodo has done there with the RHD arm....

I've got a drill press and a grinder...

Have you got a drawing or a picture of what you need?

i have a friend in Ringold Ga who machined his own hi-steer arms for a 80 axle last year, i can see if he would be willing to make more and for how much if you want me to?

uh hell yeah! See what he wants. Not syaing I'm down, but if

I've got a drill press and a grinder...

You know... I'm not sure why I don't spend more weekends up in birmingham... LOL. This was exactly my thought too... and ultimately what I prolly will try first. trying is free.

Have you got a drawing or a picture of what you need?

I've got plenty of saved images from others histeer arms on an 80 knuckle... no point re-inventing the arm.

i pm'd him and he said he would rather fellatio a grizzley bear than make them again lol.....btw i just have heard a rumor that there is a cheaper 80 series aftermarket knuckle/hi-steer arm assembly in the works.....trail-gear maybe?

i pm'd him and he said he would rather fellatio a grizzley bear than make them again lol.....

I only fall for that trick once.
thanks for looking into it though.

btw i just have heard a rumor that there is a cheaper 80 series aftermarket knuckle/hi-steer arm assembly in the works.....trail-gear maybe?

it could be made by the rainbow coalition.... I'm interested! Tell me more...

The full width yota axle we built, we debated on running 80 balls etc... Brian Ellinger talked us out of it, due to aftermarket support. All the parts for the 80 axle are considerebaly more expensive. Out of the box the 80 knuckle turns farther than mini, however mini's can be clearanced to do the same. What 80's do have though is a better king pin inclination, mini's will never turn as good at speed do to this. (Mini knuckles with IFS hubs only makes it worse...)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/476748-full-width-toyota-axle.html

That being said (its still sitting in the back of my mind as I have all the parts)...
Some guy out of Comifornia is making new knuckles and new high steer for 80 knuckles. They look pretty nice, and he did away with shims you can set the preload with the knuckle installed... Better setup IMO, however its still not very affordable compared to mini stuff...

who's running a fj80 front axle, and who wants to? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Last edited:
good info

Last edited:
Jodo's build was amazing! That guy has crazy skills and a finite understanding of suspension concepts. Man was I impressed.

Jodo's build was amazing! That guy has crazy skills and a finite understanding of suspension concepts. Man was I impressed.

NO doubt! If i keep the 80 balls... I'll prolly just run that similar setup, link up front just not high...

NO doubt! If i keep the 80 balls... I'll prolly just run that similar setup, link up front just not high...

Nice Speeder! You have got the skills as well to pull it off. I like the current project.

Regards,

GF

Why dont you run a D60 front again? Just seems... easier
:Double flipoff with chicolate on top:

Just kidding! keep it up! I like that you have the balls to try something a little different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom