My answer to the 80 series weak link - all toyota HD front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why dont you run a D60 front again? Just seems... easier
:Double flipoff with chicolate on top:

Just kidding! keep it up! I like that you have the balls to try something a little different...

I'm staying the course with the plan and selling you this piece and going Dana60's...
So... how much you offering again? And when you picking it up?

Anyway to make the 80 axle stronger? Instead of swapping it out?

Anyway to make the 80 axle stronger? Instead of swapping it out?

Well, it'd be the R&P that needs to get stronger IMO... and yeah, you can send a set to Longfield for some cryo... the cryo part is cheap.

Does cryo make it softer? Meaning less brittle? So sending my gears to Longfield to get cryo'ed is cheap?

How proven is this method?

How proven is this method?

as proven as the original longfields I'd suppose, right? The GenI longs were just OEM birfs that were heat/cryo'd like this would be... that's what I assume is happening? Anything to make these 8" R&P's last longer would be an upgrade... They're just too small.

Sticking mini truck balls on that axle will be a pretty big step backwards, Ben broke his mini truck diamond in a lot of ways: gears, bent trunions, smashed trunion bearings, 30 spline birf, torn knuckle, hub studs and on. I think you will also have to run Ellingers brake upgrade in order to keep your calipers. Ben’s new axle has been just about flawless, key things that made that happen: Brand new stock Toyota birfs and fj100 rear diff which actually has a thrust block added.

Sticking mini truck balls on that axle will be a pretty big step backwards, Ben broke his mini truck diamond in a lot of ways: gears, bent trunions, smashed trunion bearings, 30 spline birf, torn knuckle, hub studs and on. I think you will also have to run Ellingers brake upgrade in order to keep your calipers. Ben’s new axle has been just about flawless, key things that made that happen: Brand new stock Toyota birfs and fj100 rear diff which actually has a thrust block added.

It was kinda a morbid joke...

With regards to the hub studs... no matter what yota knuckle you use... we're all in the same boat with hub studs and flanges.

Actually, the 80 uses bigger studs if i'm not mistaken, but yeah, if the flange works itself loose it will shear them every time. It seems the fix from bobby of extra dowels works, that, and retorquing the studs often. :beer:

Actually, the 80 uses bigger studs if i'm not mistaken, but yeah, if the flange works itself loose it will shear them every time. It seems the fix from bobby of extra dowels works, that, and retorquing the studs often. :beer:

mistaken

I've sheared more studs than i care to think about right now... the hub and flange in the mock-up pics... notice what is missing... At one point, i had three hubs sitting on a shelf with sheared studs and some or all couldn't be extracted. I am getting good at using easy-outs though...

drill a hole into broken stud, TAP the easy-out into hole with small hammer, then reverse out... the "tap" is the key to extraction of sheared hub studs...

The problem is, that once you break the hub interface once the hub housing is junk because the dowel holes will be wallowed out, if you reuse it the way it is, buggered, you force the studs to take the entire load which they were never supposed to. You either have to replace the hub, or you need to add new and/or more dowels to take the load, otherwise, you will shear that interface all the time. And noted on the studs sizes, checked out spector, same part for 75-98 :)

New studs for the dif!
image-2559401593.jpg

damn, welll the pressure is on me now...lol

Don't know how i missed this thread.
This is what i have had planed for some time now but using a rear 60 housing.
I have saved an 80 series housing just for the balls and was waiting for someone to make a hi steer kit.
Now that "Billy138" is making his knuckles w/ hi steer this is the route i will most likely be going.
The main reason for me was for the bigger brakes however bigger stronger birfs are an added bonus.
Luckily i have a mini truck that i can swap the hi pinion, Longfields and six shooter knuckles over to.
Will be watching this thread closely now that i know it's here, thanks for the R&D.

The best part about this thread is the fact that Billy is making custom knuckles and high steer for the 80 series knuckle balls. I'd like to do it with a diamond housing though.

The best part about this thread is the fact that Billy is making custom knuckles and high steer for the 80 series knuckle balls. I'd like to do it with a diamond housing though.

Why? Why is it "the best part about this thread" and why about something that's there's already solutions for? LOL! Who you been chatting with? LOL. Christo has a solution, has had a solution and turns out it is cheaper. But I'm NOT paying $800+ for either.
We've got folks using RHD arms and chevy linkages on a 3-linked front with ZERO i'll effects and not running hi-steer. They haven't posted up talking about busted knuckles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom