My answer to the 80 series weak link - all toyota HD front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Speeder

InstaH8R
Threads
In an effort to "upgrade" my rear axle I bought a FullFloat so I could eventually buy Polyperformance axle shafts as well as ARP hub studs and extra dowels. That left a SemiFloat rear 80 series axle and dif in the steel scrap pile mainly because there is ZERO resale market for it. After selling the axle shafts and drum brakes to a friend for spares, it left the carcass. We eyeballed for a mere second before we both said "that could be a front axle". I couldn't get it out of my head for the mere reason that I've busted my R&P and know too many others who wheel lighter than me and have as well. Fast forward 3 months and this is where I am:

9.5" dif with 80-series knuckles

5635242C-orig.jpg

This is as far as I've gotten, but I feel I'm now beyond the "proof of concept" point. I realize I'll catch s*** for this idea, but as it turns out, I'm already catching it from folks that already know. Luckily, more people like the idea than dislike.
I know ruffstuff can make a front 9.5" dif housing, but mine was free, all I needed was a few days in the driveway and a cheap donor front 80 axle. Another friend had a bent housing that had everything I needed... the balls and knuckles!

So, realizing there's a LOT more left to do. And a LOT of money to spend. I don't plan on this axle being under the truck until many months from now. here's how I've gotten to this point so far:

EBEA6CED-orig.jpg

D967F9B3-orig.jpg

95841A01-orig.jpg

balls cut off

BC5CA55A-orig.jpg

donor axle

A4C12E3F-orig.jpg

8326148C-orig.jpg

figuring where the measurements

CCB07870-orig.jpg

D75574CD-orig.jpg

it's hot outside... I'll assemble the ball/knuckle for measurements inside:

5131221A-orig.jpg

566A75BC-orig.jpg

long side

A2E51040-orig.jpg

cut housing to fit:

4130405E-orig.jpg

wow, brown isn't it's color

88966A90-orig.jpg

clearanced the housing to accept the dif on the opposite side

D6F2E1A3-orig.jpg

axle shafts seem happy

FB6F42C2-orig.jpg

Painted and balls pressed in!

95E6FB48-orig.jpg

dif in

0426B230-orig.jpg

still need to align the balls... the "turn" part of a cut-n-turn

76D4D8E4-orig.jpg

front inspection cover that I plan to use flat bolts on

1921BCCC-orig.jpg

So that's it to this point! The plan is to run longfields, angle the dif at the transfer case and use a double-cardon driveshaft. Also aussielocker, 3-link, hi-steer and hydro assist. Since all that costs a butt-load... it will be a while before you see this under Lorena.
I had a screaming offer on a Dana60 and 14 bolt... but since this was free to this point, I couldn't pass it up. It would be alot more putting the D60/14bolt under there. And quite honestly, the idea of staying all toyota but being beefy was very attractive to me.

stay tuned...

I love it.

That setup has been my goal for sometime. Some day when I have money again. I will be looking to do exactly this. 9.5 center with 80 outers. I love the idea of all toyota. And I don't think ill ever go bigger than 40's on my 4runner. Im pretty sure I can do that with stock 80 shafts...

nice! i might go that route because its cheaper, that was a ff rear end correct?

oops nevermind its a semi float, would a ff rear work?

oops nevermind its a semi float, would a ff rear work?

possibly. But the FF dif cover is welded on the backside and SF have an inspection plate with an identical stud configuration. The simplicity of the SF was that the dif used to be on the front side of the housing. I pulled it and the longer studs, made the necessary groves for the ring, and inserted it on the backside of the housing.

There will not be many of these axles readily available to do this, since most just run the dang thing and never change it out. It was only available 2 full years and 2 more in limited numbers.

thats true...i was going to say i have a spare ff rear end i would have traded you! i found a sf rear end on clist for 150...tepting i must say, would you make one for me???? lol

thats true...i was going to say i have a spare ff rear end i would have traded you! i found a sf rear end on clist for 150...tepting i must say, would you make one for me???? lol

$150 for a housig and dif? Why wouldn't you?!
it's easy... do it!

Awesome! I can't believe you are actually getting it done. So the knuckle balls fit perfectly in the tubes?

ladies and gentlemen, the guy standing beside me when the gears started turning! bhmmapping!

funny you should ask about the balls fitting... they needed some machining to get into the housing. I could have taken them somewhere, but i just ground them down til they fit. They had to be tapped in... so they're tight, but will still be able to turn like a cut-n-turn.

Very nice. Since you have the ability to use a bolt on front cover now, I would suggest getting a beefier one. I got one from RuffStuff from his original batch to use on my front acle build and it is stupid strong - 3/8" thick. Pretty cheap too, jsut have to call them since they are not on their website. I welded mine on since I used an FJ60 fron axle to build mine.

P6290338.jpg

I love it, can't wait to see the finished product. Very clean work so far.

Thanks guys! I like how you said "so far"... as if you know it will eventually be SHE DIRTY. I'm leaning towards the She dirty part...

Very nice. Since you have the ability to use a bolt on front cover now, I would suggest getting a beefier one. I got one from RuffStuff from his original batch to use on my front acle build and it is stupid strong - 3/8" thick. Pretty cheap too, jsut have to call them since they are not on their website. I welded mine on since I used an FJ60 fron axle to build mine.

cool cover! I'm going to try to keep it 'bolt-on' and will definitely be beefing it up. I'm all about trying things first before I buy something else... so we'll see what i come up with.
Did you use 80 series balls? Or 60 series?

cool cover! I'm going to try to keep it 'bolt-on' and will definitely be beefing it up. I'm all about trying things first before I buy something else... so we'll see what i come up with.
Did you use 80 series balls? Or 60 series?

I hear you on giving the stock cover a shot, no need to spend money when you don't have to.

I would have liked to go with 80 series balls, but figureing out the steering shy'd me away from them so I kept the 60 series balls. It helped since I was able to just swap everything over from the mini truck axle I already had and had been collecting parts for. Best thing is I am wider than a mini truck housing since it is a FJ60/62 housing and also using IFS hub bodies gets me out a bit further, 9.5 diff and all of the mini truck stuff transfers over. Should work well in my 4 Runner.

Keep up the great work, look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Way to go to try something out of the ordinary. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how it turns out.

For those with deeper pockets take a look at what the HomeGrown crew from CO put together.

The Ultimate Front Toyota Axle

nice .. congrats ..

thought it's more less the same amount of job involved in taking a 60 front, using 80 series knuckles and welding brackes and misc stuff ..

nice .. congrats ..

thought it's more less the same amount of job involved in taking a 60 front, using 80 series knuckles and welding brackes and misc stuff ..

The FJ60 front is not wide enough. From what I understand anyway.

Best thing is I am wider than a mini truck housing since it is a FJ60/62 housing and also using IFS hub bodies gets me out a bit further, 9.5 diff and all of the mini truck stuff transfers over.

Bit of a hijack here, but could you give me any info about the IFS hubs and how you set up the brakes? The IFS hubs will set the brake rotor out further, unless you use a spacer. I'm thinking a spacer is a must in order to make the rotor line up with the stock caliper location. You got any pics of what you did?

Thanks
Don

The FJ60 front is not wide enough. From what I understand anyway.

x2 its not, i was going to do the same thing, the long side had to be lengthened 2 ish inches give or take

Bit of a hijack here, but could you give me any info about the IFS hubs and how you set up the brakes? The IFS hubs will set the brake rotor out further, unless you use a spacer. I'm thinking a spacer is a must in order to make the rotor line up with the stock caliper location. You got any pics of what you did?

Thanks
Don

Sky makes a kit that allows you to use either stock FJ60 rotors, or Tacoma rotors, with 4Runner IFS hubs on a 60/62 series axle housing to make it the same width as an 80 series axle. That affords you the width of an 80 with the strength of a 9.5" differential.
Toyota Wide Axle Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom