My answer to the 80 series weak link - all toyota HD front axle (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sky makes a kit that allows you to use either stock FJ60 rotors, or Tacoma rotors, with 4Runner IFS hubs on a 60/62 series axle housing to make it the same width as an 80 series axle. That affords you the width of an 80 with the strength of a 9.5" differential.
Toyota Wide Axle Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

but it doesn't allow folks like me the 80-series balls and birfs.

but it doesn't allow folks like me the 80-series balls and birfs.

Lets put it this way, you wont get a 9.5" diff with 80 series knuckles unless its a diamond or other custom housing. If you need the 80 series outers and a 9.5" diff, give diamond a call. If you dont want to build / buy a custom housing, use a 60/62 housing and make it wider with spacers or ifs hubs.

Lets put it this way, you wont get a 9.5" diff with 80 series knuckles unless its a diamond or other custom housing. If you need the 80 series outers and a 9.5" diff, give diamond a call. If you dont want to build / buy a custom housing, use a 60/62 housing and make it wider with spacers or ifs hubs.

or do what I'm doing here... right? Others have modified the rear FJ60 housing with 80 balls just like I did this one.

or do what I'm doing here... right? Others have modified the rear FJ60 housing with 80 balls just like I did this one.

You are exactly right. A custom built housing is the way to go. The 60 housing with ifs hubs will get you the width, just not the 80 outer.

Keep it up man!

x2 its not, i was going to do the same thing, the long side had to be lengthened 2 ish inches give or take

why not take those from the 80 series housing anyways ..

Bit of a hijack here, but could you give me any info about the IFS hubs and how you set up the brakes? The IFS hubs will set the brake rotor out further, unless you use a spacer. I'm thinking a spacer is a must in order to make the rotor line up with the stock caliper location. You got any pics of what you did?

Thanks
Don

Sorry for the hijack :) I used the FJ60 front housing that I picked up from GLTHFJ60 last summer and combined it with parts that I had laying around to make the axle I have to match the Tacoma rear axle that I have out back. For braking I am using the IFS hubs that I turned the outer lip down on and simply pressed the factory IFS wheel studs in without a rotor. I then am able to slip a 4x4 Tacoma rotor on the front side. I am running V6 brake calipers that will mount on the outside of the knuckle ears instead of the inside like factory. No spacers other than possibly a washer between the caliper and knuckle for proper spacing. Here is a picture.

P6290337.jpg

P6290340.jpg

This setup nets me an axle that is approximately 61.5" WMS. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions so we don't derail this thread ;)

Looks good! i did a similar build using a fj40 rear axle and turning it into a front axle using FJ40 knuckleballs etc.....my wms to wms is 64" iirc.......it's holding up good so-far

axle002.jpg

Since you are cutting it up any way a 60 SF rear would probably work fine too. And there are a lot of those around.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Sorry for the hijack :) I used the FJ60 front housing that I picked up from GLTHFJ60 last summer and combined it with parts that I had laying around to make the axle I have to match the Tacoma rear axle that I have out back. For braking I am using the IFS hubs that I turned the outer lip down on and simply pressed the factory IFS wheel studs in without a rotor. I then am able to slip a 4x4 Tacoma rotor on the front side. I am running V6 brake calipers that will mount on the outside of the knuckle ears instead of the inside like factory. No spacers other than possibly a washer between the caliper and knuckle for proper spacing. Here is a picture.

P6290337.jpg

P6290340.jpg

This setup nets me an axle that is approximately 61.5" WMS. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions so we don't derail this thread ;)

I forgot that this is the housing you got from me. You really made something out of it, good work!

Thanks for the info guys. Real good food for thought here. I have a 60 front axle and some IFS hubs and you just gave me some answers to questions that had been rattling around in my head. I didn't really want to derail this thread but I needed answers.

Don

P6290337.jpg

P6290340.jpg

Subscribed.

Since you are cutting it up any way a 60 SF rear would probably work fine too. And there are a lot of those around.

Dynosoar:zilla:

would a 60 rear be wide enough to make it 80 width up front?

Thats pretty cool, with out trying to sell my own stuff.

Pimp'on player!

Please tell me you are linking that axle and not just putting leaves back under it. It needs some bling to go along with how custom it is.

see below comment in original post... but leaves? Lorena is an 80.... springs is what she has. But this will hopefully have coilovers when done:

The plan is to run longfields, angle the dif at the transfer case and use a double-cardon driveshaft. Also aussielocker, 3-link, hi-steer and hydro assist. Since all that costs a butt-load... it will be a while before you see this under Lorena.

One other thing. How much axle tube did you take off the long side? Could it have been wider while still keeping the diff in its current location?

not much was cut on the long side, but a few inches was. It could be wider, but I've wheeled 80's for quite some time, I'm happy with the width of the axles and I like being able to use stock sized axle shafts and not needing to source custom lengths.

Sorry for the hijack :) I used the FJ60 front housing that I picked up from GLTHFJ60 last summer and combined it with parts that I had laying around to make the axle I have to match the Tacoma rear axle that I have out back. For braking I am using the IFS hubs that I turned the outer lip down on and simply pressed the factory IFS wheel studs in without a rotor. I then am able to slip a 4x4 Tacoma rotor on the front side. I am running V6 brake calipers that will mount on the outside of the knuckle ears instead of the inside like factory. No spacers other than possibly a washer between the caliper and knuckle for proper spacing.
This setup nets me an axle that is approximately 61.5" WMS.

that's cool, and a nice easy way to get wider but i think for hardcore wheeling it would put too much stress on your knuckles/spindles

i think if i had a 80 series and i wanted to build a 9.5" front axle i would sell the 80 axles and then build a new front with 40 or 60 housings and knuckle balls, and use the money from selling the 80 axles for longfields etc

that's cool, and a nice easy way to get wider but i think for hardcore wheeling it would put too much stress on your knuckles/spindles

i think if i had a 80 series and i wanted to build a 9.5" front axle i would sell the 80 axles and then build a new front with 40 or 60 housings and knuckle balls, and use the money from selling the 80 axles for longfields etc

Didn't you just explain in your first post a reason why a front 60 shouldn't be used? The 60 front housing is too narrow so the IFS outers need to be used.

In any event, I do plan to sell my HP front 80 axle when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom