hj60 Buildup with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dec 10, 2005
Here is a quick rundown so far

plans call for 36" simex centrepedes OR maybe 36 inch Baja Crushers

motor - 5L General Motors Holden V8 (actually 308, 5044cc)
balanced crank, rods, pistons, forged pistons, moly rings
VT commodore heads, stock reco ( good for 480 hp anyway)
VN commodore EFI setup
COME 222 hydraulic cam
Chiptorque cip to suit above
11:1 compression ( needs to run on BP ultimate)

this all mates up to a Toyota A440F through an 80 seris 1fzf bellhousing and torque convertor, standard 60 series transfer case

This then runs to stndard 80 series diffs converted to the leaf setup of the 60,

Front suspension is recieving a reverse shackle with 75 series OME springs. Sweet as. also got 2" extended shackles, 2" bodylift so all up 2" spring,2" shackles, 2" body gives about 6inch lift

80 series diffs with neg offset rims give about 5" increase in track, as well as biggest CVs Toyota make ( same as 100 series) and disc brakes all round

Chasis is and will remain stock length 106" is ok by me

Cooling systen is stock holden with a 5 core, triple bypass HQ radiator, 2 thermos. Should be sweet, I got more room under the bonnet for air to circulate than any of the turbo setups I have seen

Body is going to be cut back into an extra cab ute with comp tray, cab will be big enough to put a 12V fridge behind the drivers seat and body will also have a 6 point competition cage, racing seats, 4 point harnesses

thinking about a rear winch as well but dunno for sure

I will post some pictures and more info tomorrow.

Paul

Dec 31, 2005
First up I dont have any pics of when It first turned up but here it is today sitting in my yard

DSC00919.jpg

It was originally rolling on 15x7 chrome 60 series steelies and was completely stock

Fist up was a check through to find what we actually had. Turns out to be a pretty tidy 60. beauty

DSC00929.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

No rust in the roof,

DSC00929.jpg

pretty tidy inside, 0nly 500 000km on the clock, gee I love Toyota engineering and reliability

I took it for a quick drive around the block to make sure it all worked OK, 2h diesel autos would have to be the slowest POS on the road. I thought my Brother in laws 2litre hilux was slow. That motor had to go!!!!!

The first job on the agenda after the initial inspection was to start removing some of the extra stuff for sale, ie wheels, diffs, engine. I needed to recover some money coz I had just lashed out and 80 series diffs and wheels were on their way.

The tyres were ripped off and sold, the engine was ripped out and sold and an adaptor kit was purchased using the engine money. At this stage my holden ute (like an El Camino) plans were scrapped (poor old girl)

and the engine sequestered for the 60. I assembled the rest of the motor and started to fit it.
The 1FZ motor must sit further forward from the firewall in an 80 coz with a 1FZ bellhousing and the 80 series adaptor the motor is sitting very close to the firewall.
I wanted it moved back as far as I could. So worked out perfect

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

you can see how close it is to the firewall in the pic

at this stage I also learned not to mix and match bits from different kits in bodgy cars. The engine mounting brackets form an 80 kit would not fit so I bought ones from a 60 kit, but because the motor sits back so far they would not work either. Solution - Booty fab some of my own

DSC00917.jpg

turned out well too. Thats the last of the store bought ****(read, easy way), its booty fab all the way now.
So motor is in place properly, sitting back and low to keep my weight low and correct driveline angles. Looking scweet. I could stare at that sweet V8 for a month alone but I dont, I ve just started night shift so I'm off Tuesdays, Wednesdays. Everyone else is at work, I have nothing to do.
Time to rip the rear diff out.

Figure the rear diff conversion to be pretty simple, grind brackets off 80 diff, sling it under line it up, weld some brackets on DONE.
Yeah right, except both diffs weigh a ton, when welding we burned the handbrake mechanism and the oil seal and it was put in and out about 5 times, stripped to bare housing and rebuilt
currently sitting on stock springs with extended shackles, looking pretty high. Decided to do bodylift to see how high it would be in finished state. sweet.
You can see my bodylift blocks in the front end shots shortly

While this was going on I decided the skinny wheels were no good, needed to measure full width to make sure it would all work so I got some 15x8 wheels off Marc Huth with the early offset for a bit more width. Iron Pig has plenty of width now.

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

Before I manufactured all of the brackets to mount the front diff, i thought i would do a reverse shackle conversion on the front end to improve approach angle. the rivets were carefully drilled out and the brackets carefully removed. that was the plan, they were actually bashed off with a hammer, they were tough to remove.

So we have started the reverse shackle, the next step was to reposition the brackets, measuring to keep them aligned and square and tack weld them in position.

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

I am using 75 series springs to give me some more length in the springs which will articulate better. Mock up the front end, fab more mounting brackets and tack in position.
the next thing on the agenda is to finish my u bolt flip kit and mount all my front diff, final measuring, aligning and fully welding

that pretty much brings us up to speed currently. A rough timeline I bought the car in July, it got delivered in August, 1 month it sat while we got everything ready (August), 1 month for the rear diff and body lift (September), 1 month for the engine conversion (October), 5 weeks so far on the front diff, ( as well as sorting out a blown up motor).
I have also done some other stuff to the car in that time but that is a pretty rough guide to how long it took

Jan 11, 2006
Good news, I just sold some trash, um i mean 'collectibles', out my yard. 36 in simex centrepedes coming up. pics coming asap. hopefully get them in 2-3 weeks

Paully

Jan 29, 2006
well I think its probably time for a bit of an update. While all you people have been on Holidays, drinking playing up and having a good time, I have been here working on my project

Any how front diff has been finished, fully welded and trial fitted. The chassis brackets have been welded on for strength, They are only riveted from factory. I just need to drop the front diff and springs back out grind the welds smooth and give the chassis a coat of paint. Thanks to Brad (B2) for the welding.

I have purchased a set of 36x12.5 simex centrepede for this rig so am starting the rim and tyre fitup. they are 15x8 inch rims, secondair beadlocks and the 'pedes. I also bought a set of ARB airlockers which can go in shortly, and on friday I bought a warn highmount winch. So I guess that puts an end to all speculation about winchs, thanks to everyone who offered advice on the winch.

I have spent this weekend finishing off lots of little jobs on the engine conversion, marrying the holden wiring to the toyota stuff, changed the sump coz I had the wrong one origonally, fitted the extractors, tidied up a few loose ends, fitted the roller rockers.

I now just have to repaint the tappet covers and put them on, finish off the wiring and I can look at firing it up. woo hoo, maybe in a couple of weeks, woo hoo.

Hopefully in march it will be drivable as a wagon. ( i know its a big call but I am really gettting excited so am working on it a fair bit.)
2_smile.gif

March 5, 2006
Well another month has gone by, I am still working on the 5 litre for the cruiser, I have finished all of the wiring mods ( read nightmare )to convert from diesel motor to injected v8. Toyota in their wisdom seem to make the wiring as complicated as possible but I have it all sorted now, just a few loose ends to tidy up (loose ends, wiring ......ha ha ha).

As I posted last time I had bought my simex tyres, some ARB airlockers
and a highmount warn winch, all of which has arrived safely home ready to be fitted.

All in all it is starting to look like a car again, motor is mostly wired up, bonnet on, front end in, standard wheels on. Need to find a couple of 80 series steering rods and some flexible brake lines, then it will be drivable. it is slowly coming together

Rims are off to be sandblasted and painted, so when they come back it will be Beadlocked Simext time, more photos then

Cheers
Paully

May 16, 2006
Well actually a lot has happened in the world of project 'gunna'. in the last month or so BUT my cameras broke, so no pictures like promised.

but as most people are aware the 60 is now riding on 36inch, internal beadlocked simexs on -25mm offset (early cruiser offset) which on an 80series diff pushes the wheels outside the guards by about 60mm each side, looks tough, great for stability, not quite legal though. I will have to come up with a flare of some sort to cover it up.

winch bar has been modified and is on the front, highmount fits well and after the bar is painted and installed for the last time the highmount will go in.

I have also sectioned the body - the rear of the cab is now in place 400mm behind the front seats. it took 1 hour with a 9 inch grinder to chop it off, about 100 hours to put it back on. It does look good though, it will also allow me to have about 1200mm of tray ( or maybe more) so it has worked out as good or better than I hoped.

Speecho

June 27, 2005
pictures of "The Silvertongue devil", sounds better than "that siver sh*tbox" which is what my old man calls it. Anyhow
this is how it used to look

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

then, one day I got excited and decided to start getting ready to chop it.

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

He looks pleased with the results

by 2pm was standing there going "what to do next ?"................. "well I said I am gunna chop it,.... it wont take long!"

DSC00991.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00988.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

its free!,now what do I do with it?

DSC01001.jpg

a refreshing beverage will help the thought process!

DSC01000.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

we just roll it off, carefully, we still need some of that.

and now I have 2 big piles

DSC01005.jpg

this

DSC01004.jpg

and this!

Smart punters will know that it doesnt look like this anymore either
I will have to take some more photos

Speecho

I have copied this write up from my club forum pages, I hope you enjoy the buildup of my hj60 from Australia. I am heaps more advanced but I dont have any more pics yet, I will take some more photos and post them up

Paul

Wow!

As Chris Farley would say " Son of a bitch thats gonna leave a mark....."

Nice work, you Ausies are some crazy suns o bitchs and I like ya for that.....

Rob

Are those steel toed flip-flops in the picture where you're cutting the roof with the mother-of-all-angle grinders? I need some like that for work!

Chris

You're making some good progress on that 60. Are your toes hot?

Decided to go out and take some more pics, there is a big jump from the last lot. I am nearly finished all of the body fabrication and welding (just on piece in the rear fender to go) and I am starting on the body work. I am no bodyman but we will see how I go

DSC01131.jpg

rear quarter, grafted top of rear quarter to bottom of rear door

DSC01129.jpg

other side with some bodywork done

DSC01130.jpg

inside

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01128.jpg

Rear shot, original rear window and upper tailgate. Lower tailgate was full of rust so a custom skin was fabricated. This gives me 3 in more room to fit fuel tank which was made too big accidently.

DSC01127.jpg

Side profile, looks good, what do you think?

finally the body is starting to come to an end, there is not a huge amount of hard work involved but there is a huge amount of mucking around. All of the work on the body has been completed by me, all of the fabrication, all of the welding, all of the bodywork. I do not have a shop, cruiser is being built in my backyard, with the tools in my garage so is turning out pretty well.

I decided to get the auto rebuilt and beefed up so I went and talked to the best auto guy in town, he has built a couple of these autos to handle 400 -450 hp in a 4wd. So he says we will do me a special deal. I go home get my auto and go back and he quotes me AU$7500 (US $5500). I say what about a special deal, he recons the last one he built was AU$8300. I am now going to run a Turbo400 with an adaptor to the toyota transfer case which all up cost me AU$3500. T400 full manual, reverse pattern valvebody, extra clutches, hopefully unbreakable

I now have an adaptor kit from chev to toyota 1fzf auto for sale

Paul

thats gonna be a monster!!!!!

awsome rig bud!!!

Beaufort-FJ60 has asked for an update. I know it was 2 months ago but I have been real busy.:D

Standby whilst I take some pictures and show you whats been going on with my truck lately.

Paul

Not very F#@$%kin happy, I just lost the whole lot of my post, 2 hours down the drain.:crybaby:
Here it is again

After the last lot of posts on MUD, we decided to move house, with a small child and one on the way, and all of my car stuff, our house was just too small. I found a nice house with more room and big yard for the kids in our town and we were off. 2 removalist truck loads of furniture, 1 truck load of shed tools, 5 cars, 2 yard trailers and about 20 loads of stuff out of my shed in my pickup over the last 4 months and I am all moved in. The neighbours were dumbfounded, they could not believe all the stuff, I could not believe how much I had collected over the years. I have been all moved now for a while and started work on my 60 again about a month ago. I still have to go away for work so time is very precious.

The last thing I did on the truck before the move was to borrow a tube bender and bend up some 2"x 3/16" tube for the outside of the tray and the roll bar/headboard so I went and unearthed them and fabricated up the roll bar mounts and made a custom tray and roll bar.

Truckbuildup005.jpg

pic of my tray and roll bar with spare 36" tyre mounted

I flipped the rear cross member upside down when I shortened the chassis, it is cut off 3 1/2" behind the rear shackles. This allowed me to mount the tow bar on top of the chassis. The reason was twofold, to get it up put of the way, and to become the rear mount for the tray. After that I decided to try to finish the side windows and finish off the bodywork. Well after much poking around cutting bits of old body work, folding cutting and trying to make stuff I decided to forgo the windows and just fill them in

Truckbuildup003.jpg

This is what I looks like now

DSC01129.jpg

Before shot of same side

Truckbuildup002.jpg

Truckbuildup004.jpg

Truckbuildup006.jpg

More shots of the work on the body. more work to do on this side.

The last shot is of the passenger side body work and window fill in, a lot more filler in this side. A lot more filler yet to go in too. The young lady I bought the car off obviously favoured the drivers side ( which is actually your passenger side, sorry. we sit on opposite sides over here) all of the dents were in the other side.

Truckbuildup001.jpg

Truckbuildup007.jpg

Truckbuildup008.jpg

Some shots showing the amount of work to shorten the cab to this extent. You can see the plates welded over the joins to strengthen where i cut and welded it together, plus the plate where the window was all help to strengthen it up, I was worried about the inherent strength after the chop but it is strong as, it didn't move at all. I have welded the whole lot up solid, not just stitched it together which made a lot more work for me but this vehicle is gonna be ponded hard so the extra work will be worth it when it don't fall apart

well thats about it, I will try to take some more photos as I go along, I am really keen to get this going after my 3 month layoff, I am on leave from work next week so I will hook into it then

Paul

Last edited:
awesome.

Going at it with the grinder and flip-flops....you would fit right in here in Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom