Out with the pushrods, In with the Quad cam (80 series build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most of you will probably remember my cut down 60 from the 60 series section.

IMG_1133.jpg

After the demise of the 60, at the hands of Cruiser demons, I was left with a very battered and abused 80 series, the injected V8 and auto and a half built cage, so i decided to put them all together
th_IMG_0022.jpg

th_IMG_0021.jpg

th_IMG_0019.jpg

At the moment I have the cage done, arb air lockers in the diffs, 3 inch lift and a V8 TH400 combo under the bonnet. The 60 series transfer fouls on the chassis, there is no room for an exhaust and all up I did a terrible conversion. While researching transmission alternatives, I came across a 2uzfe, A750f transmission, and all the wiring and goodies

Came home from work on sunday to find this, delivered thursday
th_IMG_0020.jpg

So now follow along as I spend more time amd money, in the quest for offroad fun

Paul

Last edited:
So yesterday morning tore into the crate, and this is what i have now

IMG_0024.jpg

Good golly, lots of wiring

and the piece de resistance
IMG_0023.jpg

the 2uz, and a750f

Last night had me laying out the wiring trying to piece it back together, sorting out what i need, and getting my head around all those plugs. So I decided to see what options I had with the a750, emails to Rodney ......... who tells me to chuck it and use an a442. BUMMER. I really like the idea of the really low first and 5 gears

So back to the drawing board, and Google, and Ih8Mud. The biggest problem I have is the immobiliser and coded key. I am now contemplating changing to a tundra computer without the immobiliser (no one is going to steal my junk)

This is the computer
IMG_0025.jpg

anyone got any ideas of a replacement?, pretty sure from superrunners thread, he used a 05 tundra ecu, a 05 engine and a750. Great. Looking at mine, it has different exhaust manifolds and no apparent sensors on the cams so I am not sure it is a VVTi motor

th_IMG_0026.jpg

these are the exhaust manifolds, no air ports and no big flanges.

Can anyone identify from the picture or the ecu part number whether this is an 05 VVTi motor?

Paul

Last edited:
You're right that the VVT-i should have the cam sensors (also the control valves) on the valve cover.

Does there happen to be a VIN plate somewhere on the engine or transmission? You could at least determine the year using the 10th digit, and for US models, I can look up some of the info connected with the VIN.

For the immobiliser, an idea I've had but never tried is to place the sensor ring (goes around the ignition cylinder) in a hidden spot like the ashtray. You simply have a key that is programmed to the ECM, place it inside the sensor ring, maybe use a slot to slide it into, then either leave it there, or remove it for theft prevention.

HTH

Just checked on something...

...the Immobiliser wasn't used until '06, and the ECM normally says "Immobiliser" if it's equipped.

The Electrical drawings for 04 and 05 show the immobiliser, pretty sure it has one, at least here in Australia anyway

And from my research, it looks like we never go VVTi in the 100 series, it was released in 2007 with the 200

Paul

Last edited:
The Electrical drawings for 04 and 05 show the immobiliser, pretty sure it has one, at least here in Australia anyway

And from my research, it looks like we never go VVTi in the 100 series, it was released in 2007 with the 200

Paul

I'm sorry, you mentioned Tundra so that's what I was looking at on TIS. You are right, the 100-series had Immobiliser in 2005. The fortunate thing is the ECM can also be reset by a Master Toyota Technician, so if you don't have the original key, you can have one programmed to match.

BTW, we got VVT-i in 2006 on the 100. :D

Rito, so is 05 Tundra VVTi? if it is not, I should be able to use an 05 Tundra ECM to get around the immobiliser issue.

I want an ecm that will fit my 05 2uzfe and a750f without the immobiliser

Paul

2005 is when they introduced VVT-i for the Tundra.

05 Tundra NCF.jpg
05 Tundra NCF.jpg

Thanks Don, I have just pulled the timing cover, 05 landcruiser in Australia is definitely NOT VVTi.

fooket.jpg

However, might have some joy with the immobiliser wiring, so might be able to wire it up as it was.

Paul

Last edited:
cool project but why ditch the v8 and turbo 400. thats a great combo. did it work well?

loved the v8, the th400 was set up for my 60 series, with a 60 series transfer, It doesnt fit into the 80 chassis properly.

I really wanted the 5 speed Auto, and with the 2uz its now all toyota.

Just need to work around the immobiliser issue

Paul

Was Going to start a new thread to document the new project, but most of the goodies are going to be pinched from this rig anyways, So I will continue on.

The HZJ80 was depressing me with rust everywhere, dodgy V8, no toy to drive, so was lingering in my backyard. Along comes a mate telling of a FJ80 for sale cheap..........my ears prick up, cheap is what i do best

So long story short, I decide I can get on the road heaps quicker, if I buy a registered rig, and swap my goodies over, so I bought it.

Here it is, in all its glory
IMG_0037.jpg

Cannot really see it, but has some rear body damage

IMG_0038.jpg

Reasonably tidy for its age

IMG_0040.jpg

Tidy interior, I fitted the manual windows and door trims because the electric ones didn't work

IMG_0041.jpg

The thundering 3f powerplant, leaks like a sieve, runs sweet as

The plan is to swap all my good axles, winch, suspension and cage over to this rig, and eventually swap in the 2UZFE and 5 speed auto.

I have decided to run an aftermarket ECU and semi-custom transmission controller. So at the moment I am working towards that.:D have a bit more development work to do on the controller

But while that is happening so maintenence issues will need to be taken care of, some racing to be done, and goodies to install. First up will be the rebuilt axles with ARB lockers

Paul

Last edited:
How did that happen?

Anyway, I picked it up Sunday week ago (18th) drove it around for 2 days then decided to take it out to work 200 miles away. The PO has been driving it on the highway so I thought i would get away with it too.

Noo, 125 miles from home, this happened

IMG_0043.jpg

Can't see too well, but that tyre is shredded, holes big enough to put a small child through.

And when I went to change it , broke four of the wheel studs on that wheel, double bugger

So I dragged the whole mess home and now have the old axle removed
IMG_0044.jpg

And in its place goes this
IMG_0045.jpg

This is the rear axle out of the HZJ80, Air locked, rebuilt axle shafts with 100 series studs and collets, new brakes and wheel bearings. Should handle phase one plans - 36 inch tyres

Now I fust need to get this sucker in and buttoned up, so I can drive it

Paul

You guys are probably thinking how slack I am for not posting, but we have had rain here like never before, hard to get motivated to work on cruiser in the rain!

However, I will post up what I have.

c0947551-5645-5f47.jpg

My ghetto axle lift, I slid it out of my ute on the 2x4 and dragged it under the cruiser.

So I got the rear all sorted, then the heavens broke. In between the rain I managed to tear down the front end, install my front locker and a shiny set of longfields.

I am rolling again now with front and rear lockers, longs in the front, upgraded studs in the rear, a bulletproof setup with the mighty 3f upfront.

I am transferring all of the goodies from the rough body to the good one, I had my cage man come over and cut the cage out
c0947555-5887-1d0f.jpg

A few cuts here

c0947551-5935-8fe3.jpg

Dan the cage man, hungover and in pain, contemplating the removal

With the weather closing in, and town filling with water, I moved camp out to my mates farm, undercover and a welder too.
Now able to do some work I removed the alloy bullbar and went to work, I needed something to house my 8274.

c094754f-5aa0-6c1e.jpg

End of day 1, this is what we came up with, a close cropped version of my old 8274 bar.

It was built for my 60 series, and still kicking. So I took some measurements, stenciled the uprights and got to work. I dropped it down 3 inches, back 3 inches and extended the top up 2 inches. I can remove the winch if I need to and plenty of room to work on the motor or winch drum. Winch gets a pretty hard workout in the comps so repair room is necessary.

c0947555-5cda-b02f.jpg

With the grill removed and the stone tray cut out, we can move the winch and bar back for better approach

c0947551-5d5b-ca56.jpg

Day 2, the bar is mounted properly and bottom installed, just need to weld it up, and install the wings.

So there you have it folks, some progress at least, hopefully it starts to roll on now

Paul

We heard about the Queensland flooding here in the States this morning. Good to see you are able to make progress even with all that going on.

Well folks, it is still wet as over here, although the flood in Rockhampton has reached it's peak last night so hopefully it starts to go down. What we need is some sunny weather, although it is still raining off and on.

As for updates on my cruiser, I am still stuck out at work, 250 miles from home. I have made some small inroads with the planning.

I have a set of 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson MTZ at home waiting. I just need to decide on rims to mount them on, I have my eyes on a set of beadlocked alloys at the moment, but also have the steelies and internal beadlocks that my 36s are currently mounted on.

I have my 3.5 inch springs out of my old 80, a new set of caster bushes and a set of 4 inch over shocks. I plan on using spring retainers on the rear springs and if the front ones are too short I have a set of 1 inch spring packers I can put in.

New TREs have been ordered for my cromo tie rod and drag link, so they will be fitted too. I also have a part time transfer case to swap in, then I can do away with the full time front drive. This rig has the viscous coupling (which doesn't work) in the transfer with no centre diff lock. So swapping transfers will allow me to have fully locked four wheel drive.

If that isn't enough I will also have to run a seal kit through my steering box, it is leaking, and through my brake calipers, which are probably siezed. The rear axle I swapped in has brand new disks already, I wil probably swap the matching brand new fronts on as well.

All up, the underside is in pretty good shape, with all the parts here already. The top side however is a different story, need to finish the bullbar, install the rollcage, make the additions to the cage to suit the new rules, make a set of rock sliders, install the seats and harnesses, install all the extra wiring for winch, two way, lights, install my HIDs, make brackets for high lift and ground anchor (both compulsory equipment).

All this has to be done in 4 weeks, and I start a new job as soon as the flood subsides, whew it's going to be pretty full on, I will let you know how I get on.

Paul

Looks like the flooding has started to subside, looks like we got off lightly though lots of devastation and loss of life down south of the state.

Hopefully life will start to return to normal for us, my heart goes out to the people who are suffering.

Paul

Home from work last night and keen to make a little progress today.
I had big plans of cutting all the foot plates and start getting the cage into this rig................but none of that eventuated.
Had a few honey-do things to take care of but managed to go pick up these

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

15x8 with 3.75 inch backspacing

opening up the boxs reveals
IMG_0104.jpg

some nice shiny pro comp wheels

IMG_0105.jpg

I bought 4 of these babies, the 5th is on order. I double checked that they will fit and they just barely clear the caliper on the front.
I am also waiting for some weld on beadlock rings to be laser cut courtesy of Roctoy Designfab.

IMG_0098.jpg

the beadlock rings I ordered

type12beadlocks.jpg

Roctoys finished product

I will hopefully get to the cage tomorrow, hopefully more updates then

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom