My answer to the 80 series weak link - all toyota HD front axle (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no i meant to build a wider one out of a REAR 40 or 60 axle

wider? than what I'm doing?
Pretty sure a 40 rear housing would be too narrow even for the factory front axle shafts. wareagletoy on pirate is doing the same with a rear fj60 housing, and I wonder how much he cut off on the long side. I just discovered he was doing it the other day.
I had this SF rear 80 housing and dif left-over.... and it has factory trusses that even the 60 series rear doesn't have.

where did you get your knuckleballs, knuckles, brakes etc? you had an extra front 80 axle i guess?

from my first post:
Another friend had a bent housing that had everything I needed... the balls and knuckles!

He gave me a bro deal on the bent housing, IMO.

So just adding Longfields to the stock axle doesn't make it stronger? The R&P is the weak point now?

So just adding Longfields to the stock axle doesn't make it stronger? The R&P is the weak point now?

I haven't even added longfields yet and I've already broken a ring, as well as friends who don't run longs. I also think the hub studs and dowels need upgrading as well...

My opinion only here, but here is weak link order:

stock birfs
stock hub studs/dowels
r&P
then what? I don't know because I never broken beyond that. But these HP difs are also being used in friends mini-trucks and ftoys and they blow them all the time.

I will be buying Longs and putting them in the 80 axle while I gather all the other parts for this though: hi-steer, links, heims, coil-overs...

But if we add a beefier axle now that weak link is gone. Now what will be the weak link next? We are just chasing the weak link around.

But if we add a beefier axle now that weak link is gone. Now what will be the weak link next? We are just chasing the weak link around.

WOOPOW!

I personally have found many weak links... chased them all the way to a highly modified 80 that not even 80 vendors can recognize as an 80. LOL! Yes, that happened. We all know that the real weak link to an 80 is sheetmetal. But once you stop caring about that, and try to make it a true rock crawler, well, it does a good job, but does need a few things.
I will eventually end up with a Southern Rock Bouncing machine that will be completely custom. But until then, "run whatchu brung".

I've posted about it before, similar to this is a resonably common mod on aussie race trucks, most guys use Nissan patrol hi pinion H233B centres to retain all the stock steering with a 7.5mm spacer to the landcruiser 9.5'' housing as you have done. Or use a ford 9'' centre as the flange to axle centre line is more or less the same as cruiser and can be had in hi pinion.

How are you going to do the steering in the 80 series with a low pinion diff?

How are you going to do the steering in the 80 series with a low pinion diff?

hi-steer

A revelation occured this weekend that may allow enough cabbage to do full-hydro when that bridge gets crossed... but we'll see.

Like I've been saying, it's going to be months until this thing gets put under the truck and even then, it'll be under there waiting on parts for a while.

If anyone who does hi-steer parts wants to give me a good deal on some... otherwise I'm going to be finding a local source.

not much was cut on the long side, but a few inches was. It could be wider, but I've wheeled 80's for quite some time, I'm happy with the width of the axles and I like being able to use stock sized axle shafts and not needing to source custom lengths.

Good stuff.

off the 2 bolt top kingpins?

Is the swivel housing strong enough, I have looked into this, but keep coming up against the 2 bolt top kingpin, any thing is possible but I've never seen arms to suit.

Paul

Gawdalmightydayum son! i didn't mean wider than the the existing FJ80 front axle. the FJ80 axle is 63.5" i just made a front axle out of a FJ40 rear axle that is now 64". all i was trying to say was that a person (who didn't have a extra axle like you did) would probably come out better to sell the FJ80 axle and make one out of a fj40 or 60 rear axle, you would have extra money and you wouldn't have to deal with the way more expensive 80 series hi-steer arms or longfields.

and also the factory trusses are damned near worthless and it sucks having them on the bottom of your axle

off the 2 bolt top kingpins?

Is the swivel housing strong enough, I have looked into this, but keep coming up against the 2 bolt top kingpin, any thing is possible but I've never seen arms to suit.

Paul

hells no. Make it double shear utilizing the lower arms as well. The knuckles i have are ABS, so i'll use that hole up top. Christo has perfected that in my opinion, and i realize those arms are costly, I don't have that kind of money.
I've got feelers in Australia for RHD lower steering arm. If you've got one, I've got a LHD I'll swap you! lemme know.

Gawdalmightydayum son!

then be clear the first time. the bush has already been beat to death.

I've got feelers in Australia for RHD lower steering arm. If you've got one, I've got a LHD I'll swap you!

I see where your headin now,I can pull one off a junkyard axle if ya need one

Paul

Paul

DUDE! You'd be the cats nuts! Like i said, I got one I'll send you for the same reason, just different side...
We need to swap PM's

Paul

Even wthout going hydro, with a steering box arm on each side could you not use a front drag link like a 60 series?

Paul

Even wthout going hydro, with a steering box arm on each side could you not use a front drag link like a 60 series?

Paul

no, not steering box... knuckle arm. Only running one steering box, but i need the steering arm that goes under the knuckle.

no, not steering box... knuckle arm. Only running one steering box, but i need the steering arm that goes under the knuckle.

Badly worded by me, what I meant was the knucle arm that is driven by the steering box, if you get a Right hand drive one and a left hand drive one, both will stick out in front of the axle like a 40/60 series

Paul

is there a significant difference in strength between a 9.5" ring gear and the 8"? i know the pinion diameter is the same.

is there a significant difference in strength between a 9.5" ring gear and the 8"? i know the pinion diameter is the same.

I've been wondering the same thing.... I realize that the 8" being reverse cut hi-pinion gives it something like 30% more strength than a standard cut R&P, the 9.5
But does the extra size of the 9.5" make it stronger?
I do know that foks running these 9.5" difs in hard scenarios do not seem to be blowing ring and pinion teeth like the 8" does.... and to me that makes sense since the majority of the 8" teeth seem to blow when backing up (=reverse cut weak link).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom