Definitive led thread for 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But it looked like the light output from LED's were pointing in the same direction as the needles on the Speedo and Tach. did you attach them somehow to the needles underneath? Does it move with the needle?

It's very easy to forget how many bulbs there are in a cruiser.

Looks cool!

Dana

The spedo/tach has a slot to let light through. The light follows the sweep without any mods.

I replaced all the pink and couldn't be happier. Having a white light behind the faded red stickers was awful. Swapped all the red ones with red LEDs. Airbag, AT Temp, Seatbelt, Brake, and Front/Rear lockers if you ate keeping track. The amber appears to be fine and the blue and green of the brights and cruise lookj perfectly normal backlight by white.

Last edited:
Update:

The LED does not appear to be compatible with the out of gas light. I have tried it both ways and it either does not light or stays on. Replaced that light for an incandescent lamp and it works correctly.

The other issue is that the 2ND Start, OD Off, and PWR aren't bright enough to see in full daylight. I went back to incandescent on those three locations. The LEDs are directional and the light doesn't reflect well with those type bulbs. If the lamp could be directed 90 degrees it would work just fine.

Update:

The LED does not appear to be compatible with the out of gas light. I have tried it both ways and it either does not light or stays on. Replaced that light for an incandescent lamp and it works correctly.

The other issue is that the 2ND Start, OD Off, and PWR aren't bright enough to see in full daylight. I went back to incandescent on those three locations. The LEDs are directional and the light doesn't reflect well with those type bulbs. If the lamp could be directed 90 degrees it would work just fine.

I can not believe you are admitting defeat. Go back and fine some other LED's. We will not stand by and allow you to have incandescent bulbs in the pimp mobile. Really, just not allowed. :D

Tuner flashers no more!!

The OE flasher is located in the driver's side kick panel about as far forward as you can go. Turn on the hazards and let the clicking be your guide;)

From what I could gather, the stock flasher is a EP-34 type and according to Landtank's heavy duty flasher upgrade thread Toyota swapped the E and B legs from the norm and used a jumper to reverse the leads. Instead of rewiring the 80, I swapped the jumper over to the new flasher.

Napa carries an EP-34 flasher rated for LEDs, 2-6 lamps, 12.8v, and 162W max (might read 182W max...the ink is blurry). Part number EP-34 and $14.00. The other chains had the same Tridon flasher for around $9. I went for the $14 one to support the shop that dug through the books to find it. Thank you NAPA:)

Works perfectly! :grinpimp: I also want to note that cutting the pin7 LD (Lamp Failure Detection) circuit from the IC chip of the OE relay DID NOT work...

Toyota part 81980-12070 166500-0300 27W Max 4 Bulbs
DSCF6515.jpg
DSCF6514.jpg
DSCF6517.jpg

Last edited:
7-11 in Reno is right! Looks good!

whoa........im...speachless...thats awesome keep up the good work

I can not believe you are admitting defeat. Go back and fine some other LED's. We will not stand by and allow you to have incandescent bulbs in the pimp mobile. Really, just not allowed. :D

This one is for you;) The Neowedge bulbs just don't put out the light the incandescent did, for these we had to get creative. This will be for the 2nd, PWR, and OD off lights in the cluster. Decided on red for OD and 2nd start and white for PWR. Next is to retrofit one into the TypeA for the antenna up/down switch. The bulb in that one is so small, it doesn't light up at night unless you look real close. I think I'll do the same for the cigarette lighter ring bulb as well. The 2nd Pic is the final assembly. With the bulb facing outward it looks much better.
DSCF6951.jpg
DSCF6964.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Job! I recently bought my '96 and it already had the LED dome, door & glove box lights. Any idea on where I can get a replacement LED dome light LED/circuit board? One of mine is in op. The light receptacle is working fine. I swapped it with another LED & even an incadesent bulb.

Waiting on the mailman....the amber lights on the instrument cluster need to be amber. When I started, all the lights were white and I relied on the overlay to color the pictures. Since the pink was not my style, all the red are now red and all the amber will be amber. The remaining ones look fine with white.

This one is for you;) The Neowedge bulbs just don't put out the light the incandescent did, for these we had to get creative. This will be for the 2nd, PWR, and OD off lights in the cluster. Decided on red for OD and 2nd start and white for PWR. Next is to retrofit one into the TypeA for the antenna up/down switch. The bulb in that one is so small, it doesn't light up at night unless you look real close. I think I'll do the same for the cigarette lighter ring bulb as well. The 2nd Pic is the final assembly. With the bulb facing outward it looks much better.

So Mike, what's the verdict with the side-facing surface mount LED? How does it compare in brightness with the OEM type B incandescent?

So Mike, what's the verdict with the side-facing surface mount LED? How does it compare in brightness with the OEM type B incandescent?

Ok...SMD is the winner. Pic1 is The Neowedge in white, Pic2 is OEM incandescent, and Pic 3 is a modified side facing red SMD LED. Pics taken at the same shutter speed and represent pretty darn close what they look like.
Neo.jpg
OEM.jpg
SMD.jpg

Ok...SMD is the winner. Pic1 is The Neowedge in white, Pic2 is OEM incandescent, and Pic 3 is a modified side facing red SMD LED. Pics taken at the same shutter speed and represent pretty darn close what they look like.

Sweet! I've got an custom application I'm working on that uses a switch very similar to the fzj80 hazard switch with a type B lamp where I want to be able to see in daylight when it's on. With the stock incandescent lamp it's hard to tell. The SMD LED looks to be the way to go, although I'll be using white instead of the red you used. Thanks for the pictures.

Fan-bloody-tastic. By the way yuo stole my thunder. I was gunna do that Well done and good post

Hey LED guys! What are your thoughts on changing out the bulbs in a Scion T1807 radio that alot of peolpe are swaping their stock radios out for.
Apparently the illumination on it is orange. Would it be possible the put it green bulb(s) to match it with the stock interior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom