Definitive led thread for 80s (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How long did said project take you?

I mean actual hours or days?

I still say your truck is at least 10 miles an hour faster than everybody else because of these.

Link added to this thread in the FAQ under the Bling chapter.

Nicely done root.

Last edited:
It's gotta be faster due to the increased amount of light somehow giving him something closer to the speed of light? Like an LED Turbo effect.

Wow. And I was all happy with myself for replacing all the domes, doors and map light with LEDs. I'm not worthy.

Amazing work. I'm marking this page for later reference.

BTW, you get four pimps, too. Combine this with that fly new leather from AATLAS1X, and you may create a new pimp paradigm.
:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

Last edited:
Very nice! It looks like one of those 20th century modernized interior :) (Can't think of a better title). 7-11 Reno sounds better :). How long did it take ya to do all that? Can't tell from the picture but looks like you didn't mess with the shifter lights (P, R, N, D, 2, 1). I might do some/few of these myself as well.

Researching the bulb types and LED replacements took the longest time. Installation took a few afternoons over the weekend. Approximately 5 hours or so. I read all the threads on rods and cones and most say that the blue spectrum is just between the shift. This could cause fatigue at night. I looked into production cars/trucks and many have blue instrument lights. The most common seems to be the aqua blue and these are available if someone wanted to try it. I didn't take the radio apart because it will be replaced eventually. The lights are not that bright at night and I have grown accustom to it. The stock lights always looked lethargic to me and I couldn't even see the heater lights at times. The blue light you see in the clock is the bulb pulled up from the ash tray. I was hoping it would wash out the green numbers but it didn't. I'll source a blue clock and replace the stock one soon.

The floor shifter lights are blue.

Looks cool mike. Bought time you updated your sig line, don't ya think :D

Researching the bulb types and LED replacements took the longest time. Installation took a few afternoons over the weekend. Approximately 5 hours or so. I read all the threads on rods and cones and most say that the blue spectrum is just between the shift. This could cause fatigue at night. I looked into production cars/trucks and many have blue instrument lights. The most common seems to be the aqua blue and these are available if someone wanted to try it. I didn't take the radio apart because it will be replaced eventually. The lights are not that bright at night and I have grown accustom to it. The stock lights always looked lethargic to me and I couldn't even see the heater lights at times. The blue light you see in the clock is the bulb pulled up from the ash tray. I was hoping it would wash out the green numbers but it didn't. I'll source a blue clock and replace the stock one soon.

The floor shifter lights are blue.

So that's what goes on on the Front Range?!? You need some of those crazy lights on the underside. Just kidding, that looks awesome!:grinpimp:

talk about PhD in LED...

one more thing for me to get now... :bang:

Looks just like the Vegas strip. :grinpimp:

Can you still dim the lights though?

That's really obsessive and very overboard...........even unneccessary..

I Like It..:cheers::clap::grinpimp:

Wow, your a freak - a good freak, but a freak nonetheless. I definitely plan on stealing some of your ideas.

Karl

Holy crap!.................OK, I have a few questions considering that LED's appear brighter but frequently put out less usable light:

1. Have you seen Georges map and dome LED's for a brightness comparison?
  2. Do the 194's in the doors put out as much or more useable light?
  3. Have you considered LED's for reverse lights? I have seen some that are close to 500 lumens with 48 LED's but once again, wonder how they compare to incandesent for usable output.
  4. Lastly, is there an improvement with the 74 glove box light? Does it provide a wide/full enough pattern?

We compared George's map and dome lights the other day. George's lights are bright enough if you ask me. The ones I used look less stock and don't fit as clean as George's. Each has their pros and cons. When I turn on all four dome lights at night, it is an insane amount of light.

The 194s in the door put out more usable light; however, adding the 2nd set further forward made the biggest difference. The rear lights on the front doors shine into the side of the seat and done illuminate the floorboards.

I am going to run the fog light bulbs for reverse lights. LED technology isn't quite there yet.

The 74 type bulbs I put in the glove box have don't seem to be making a good connection. It might be my switch though. The only LED failure was a 194 I had in the license plate (2nd pic in post #11 2nd from the left). Those have been replaced with the 6 LED one like I put in the doors.

Last edited:
That is some strong work treerootCO!
very impressive all the work you did. the dash looks like VW (blue/red) which is a good thing. i think the stock green looks a little dingy or muddy in comparison.

appreciate the part #s next to all the photos as well :cheers:

Holy Sheet Batman That shines like a Diamond in a goats ass :eek:... Great work great post and damn its Christmas all year long for you... :cheers:

Do these work in the same way as Georges? IE having far less drain on the battery? Either way, thats alot of damn work you did there, and it looks fairly cool too :p

Mike

I think there's a LED-holics program you can join....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom