Thread showing pics of no-flare 80s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there one? my searches have shown none...one or two example pics pop up in other threads but nothing as a collection...thinking of dumping my flares
as I removed the running board and looking at those flares...

Well, here is mine, one of many out there. If you go out wheeling tight trails (rocks and trees) the flares done survive. I just sold a set off of a 96 I’m beginning to build. A google search should turn up more photos of flare-less 80’s than you care to look at.
IMG_5244.jpeg
IMG_5245.jpeg

Here is one I removed then flares on a couple of years ago. One thing I have noticed is there is a lot more stuff thrown up off the tires that ends up on the sides of the truck. I really do like the look though.
IMG_0891.jpeg

that's exactly my truck...same color and year (94) if that's your stock grill...does look great and from what I see, there doesn't need to be any
additional trim to "flesh out the trim etc"...thanks

Is there one? my searches have shown none...one or two example pics pop up in other threads but nothing as a collection...thinking of dumping my flares
as I removed the running board and looking at those flares...
Paint them black with Raptor Liner. I removed mine and was contemplating leaving them off but decided to paint them. I'm extremely pleased. My opinion (which often doesn't matter) is flare-less only look good if your running 37" and up tires.

I'll fill the holes and paint eventually. If they didn't get ripped off wheeling I would of kept them on

View attachment 3469539
Yep and once they get ripped off they are of no value to anyone. On my third 80 build now and the flares came off of and were sold from each one before I had a chance to crush them.

I am completely opposite. I love the look of flares on the 80 and IMO, they give an 80 character and what separate 80s from a 4runner and the like. I have wheeled it hard and they have yet to rip off from years of abuse. If you take your time and do the trimming, there are no reasons why they are a hinder to wheeling. In most cases, they tend to flex and prevent damage to the actual sheet metal. If you dig the look of the 80 without flares, by all means remove them.

cheers,

Pic taken @ Fordyce - Winch hill #4
Capture.JPG
20230610_122227.jpg

Last edited:
I like both, but generally I'm with @Marco Lau - I like their flares. Perhaps part of that is deflaring an LX entails quite a bit more hole-filling.....

My FN wheels within 315s are perfectly flush with flares, and I like it that way

Google image search gives a lot of results for this, probably a good place to look

I removed them from my 80 as they got damaged and started to break off and then I found *rust* hiding behind them. This was the LHF fender panel after I took off the originally-fitted TJM fibreglass flare piece

This is the RHF fender made flare-less. This fender panel is *not* correct as it's barn door DX vehicle when didn't get factory flares, but it shows the difference in completely originally vs replaced panel.

The rear wheel arches were rusting too but not as bad.

Rubi 1.jpg

Is there one?
Lol...there is now.
One thing I have noticed is there is a lot more stuff thrown up off the tires that ends up on the sides of the truck.
This is certainly true with stock or wider wheels/tires, but can be reduced or eliminated by going to a slightly narrower wheel/tire combo (heresy, I know). Any 7" wide wheel with about 12-15 offset should fit inside the fenders of a flareless 80.

Because the OP asked for photos, here's mine one chilly morning in Utah:
cold morning in utah.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom