4wd all wack. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I tried to do some homework on this before I ended up posting but didn't come across a whole lot.

Right now whenever i'm in 4wd I get a bad hopping front the front end.

Only when hubs and 4wd are engaged at the same time. 4 high and low doesn't matter which one.

This doesnt happen in

2wd no hubs locked
2wd hubs locked.
4wd hubs not locked.

only 4wd hubs locked.
The front driveshaft always is spinning in all of these.

Except the 2wd no hubs like normal.

Any ideas?

Inner axle?
Birf fell out of place?
Diff problems?

I was talking to my buddy Miles "Cruiserman350" and he said to check which was the front driveshaft is spinning in all of these.

Making it sound like the front driveshaft is spinning the wrong way in 4wd hubs locked. Is that possible to even happen?

I'm so lost right now and just wanna know I can wheel again.:frown:

Thanks a lot guys for any input on this

-Joe

What do you mean hopping? You're not talking about on the pavement when turning, are you? That would be expected.

Vacuum or linkage front actuator? All Toyota? What year?

The front shaft shouldn't spin when the t-case is in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. Double check.

Put the t-case in 2wd, lock in the hubs, jack up one front wheel at a time and spin it. Each should spin freely and should cause the driveshaft to spin.

Put the t-case in 4wd-neutral, unlock the hubs and disconnect the rear shaft. Spin the brake drum. It should spin the front shaft and it should all spin freely, but with some effort.

PS: Don't let Miles even look at your body work! :eek:

Hi All:

My first guess would be that the front and rear diff ratios are not the same.

Good luck!

Alan

Joe,

How long have you had this truck ? Sounds like you might have different gears in the front. What truck is this ? Might need to jack up the front end, turn the tires one complete revolution while counting the exact # of revolutions the front drive shaft turns. Then do the same for the back end. Each drive shaft should turn the exact same amount. A little tricky but you are looking to determine for example, if one turns about 3.70 times while the other turns say 4.1 times. If they do that is your problem....they both must be the same.

Now if you have had this truck a long time and/or you have been in 4wd before w/o these problems, then skip all of the above.

Good luck, John

My first guess would be that the front and rear diff ratios are not the same.

Oh. Hopping.

What year is the truck? When did you get it?

I don't think you can turn the wheels and count the driveshaft turns. You will either get a double count if you lift one wheel, or you'll turn the other wheel around backwards if you lift them both.

I think you have to lift both wheels, spin the drive shaft and count the revs until the wheels turn around once.

Fast Eddy is correct. Sorry if I was unclear. Lift both front tires, turn tires (in 4wd) one complete turn while counting drive shaft revolutions...then do the same for the back end. Easy.

Good luck with this, John

My vote is that he is in 4WD on pavement. BTDT in my first 4WD, a, a, ,a CJ7:eek:
Got it so bound up I had to back up to get it out of 4WD. Chirp, groan, twist, etc, etc.

That is unless you have a locker that is still locked. Chirp from front or rear or both?

Ed

EDIT: Ed + Ed= A+:D

alright guys, ive been trying to help him with this but i am 6 hours away from him so its hard. as far as i can tell over the phone when he puts it in 4 weel with everything locked the front end hops on the pavement in a straight line, he said its almost as if the wheels are trying t turn backwards.

the cruiser is a 72 with a 4 speed tranny and transfercase out of a 76' i belive. both the axles are stock and nothing has been changed. he said this jsut started happening all of the sudden. he was down at surfnturf everything worked fine he took it north and i guess it worked for a while then out of the blue one day it started binding up. my first thought was birfields but its sounding like a transfer case problem now, ecept he only has the broblem when the hubs are locked. leading me to beilve the transfer case is running the front propeller shaft backwards, which is really wierd.

-miles

if it just started happening, i would think something has come loose or busted, time to start inspecting and stop guessing.

I vote for a busted birfield. It will stop by itself when it has ground the inside of the housing away.

Ok ya thanks Miles for the summing up on this. I haven't used my 4WD since SNT and tested it when I had gotten home and noticed the problem.

Would my 33s in the rear and 31s up front be doing this? :grinpimp:

Thanks for everything guys.

-Joe

If the 33s and 31s effect it I sure as hell didnt notice it in the sand. :mad:

This almost sounds like a joke...of course it's your different sized tires. And, you wouldn't necessarily notice it in sand. You can't run tires that different. Each is trying to scribe a different arc, never going to work when locked in. Good Grief!

Would my 33s in the rear and 31s up front be doing this? :grinpimp:

Thanks for everything guys.

-Joe

If the 33s and 31s effect it I sure as hell didnt notice it in the sand. :mad:

WTF

Joe,

Don't worry too much. Accidential self inficted wounds can be the worst kind. Correct the tire size, if no permanent damage...just move on. This is how we learn & most of us including me, have done worse.

Good luck, John

I hate when that happens

My bad guys sorry for this post. I feel like an ass hat right now. When everyone was talking about different gear sizes it hit me that the tires had to do it.

I got the 33s all around but the back spacing was off and was hitting on my TREs so ive gotta order the wheel spacers.

My mistake i'm an ass. That is learning something new everyday on the cruiser sydrome.

Thanks.

-Joe

Don't feel bad, Joe. This thread completely brightened my day!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom