4WD Education - Brochure Verbiage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MatthewMcD

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gunsdogsandfood.com
Looking at several brochures and articles for the FJ40 in the 1975 timeframe. I have seen in several references like this:
Two floor mounted levers. One for the transmission. The other controls 2-speed transfer case so you can shift into 4-wheel drive without stopping.
What about locking the front hubs? Don't you still have to stop and lock the front hubs for 4-wheel drive?

Not exactly sure what you are looking for. Are you looking for a tutorial on how to use your FJ-40, going from 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive high and 4 wheel drive low range?

Not exactly sure what you are looking for. Are you looking for a tutorial on how to use your FJ-40, going from 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive high and 4 wheel drive low range?
Good point. I am asking what benefit you get from shifting to 4WD without locking the hubs. Am I mistaken that you have to shift to 4WD and lock the hubs for it to work?

Asked another way, I always thought you had to lock the hubs before you could get any benefit from 4WD. I'll google "4wd 101".

Apparently your rig has locking hubs. Many early FJ-40's had drive plates that kept the front axles locked up all the time. If you have locking hubs and they are set to free then the wheels spin but the axles don't move. If you were to engage 4 wheel drive without locking the hubs nothing happens other than you're driving the axles without them connected to the wheels. You need to lock the hubs to get any benefit of engaging 4 WD.

4 wheel high and 4 wheel low is more a function of terrain your trying to move over. High is more for level or smoother roadways and low is more for steeper inclines or rough terrain.

When you no longer need 4 WD getting back to 2 WD can sometimes be an issue, the transfer case does not want to come out of 4 WD. It is sort of gear bound from going forward. To resolve this you would simply put it in reverse for a short distance and then back into forward and shifting into 2 WD.

I hope this info helps.

Apparently your rig has locking hubs. Many early FJ-40's had drive plates that kept the front axles locked up all the time. If you have locking hubs and they are set to free then the wheels spin but the axles don't move. If you were to engage 4 wheel drive without locking the hubs nothing happens other than you're driving the axles without them connected to the wheels. You need to lock the hubs to get any benefit of engaging 4 WD.

4 wheel high and 4 wheel low is more a function of terrain your trying to move over. High is more for level or smoother roadways and low is more for steeper inclines or rough terrain.

When you no longer need 4 WD getting back to 2 WD can sometimes be an issue, the transfer case does not want to come out of 4 WD. It is sort of gear bound from going forward. To resolve this you would simply put it in reverse for a short distance and then back into forward and shifting into 2 WD.

I hope this info helps.
Thank You!

Is there any harm driving in 2WD with the hubs locked? I am thinking about Texas weather, not Colorado snow fall. In our last ice storm for example, main roads were ploughed/salted so 2WD could be an option, but our neighborhood was a mess, so switching to 4WD would be best. Can I leave the hubs locked in this situation, in anticipation of needing it?

You can let your hubs locked if you know that you may encounter situation where you need 4wd (bad weather, alternating between pavement and dirt, etc.).

Ans as already mentioned in an other post the hubs were an option, so many 40 never had them anyway (which equate to having them locked all the time).
Thanks!

you can leave the hubs locked, it just means all the axels front diff and driveshaft and some of the transfer case is turning, being pulled along by the front wheels. I used to always stop to engage 4WD. And there was more than one time I reached down, put it in 4WD, but forgot to lock my hubs.......

Thank You!

Is there any harm driving in 2WD with the hubs locked? I am thinking about Texas weather, not Colorado snow fall. In our last ice storm for example, main roads were ploughed/salted so 2WD could be an option, but our neighborhood was a mess, so switching to 4WD would be best. Can I leave the hubs locked in this situation, in anticipation of needing it?

The FJ40 came from the factory with drive plates. Locking hubs were typically dealer installed. It is ok to lock the hubs and be in 2wd. You can shift while moving from 2wd to 4wd high range or vice versa. I try not to do it while going fast. I'll use the clutch or let off the gas slightly to make the shift. You need to stop to shift in and out of low range. This info is all in the owners manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom