Intermittent 4wd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate to admit this, but as i think about it, I may not have received the definitive click when locking the left hub yesterday. Today, the click is definitive. Yesterday, it was not. Maybe it wasn't fully locked.
Haha don't be upset about that! That's a hell of a lot better outcome than having to rebuild the transfer case.

That's a win!

FWIW, the 4wd engagement can be finiky, I like to leave hubs unlocked, put tcase in 2wd, spin front dline by hand make sure its free, engage 4wd at tcase then go under and try and spin dline , it should be locked in, if so then go lock hubs, if not spin to a different spot and try putting tcase in 4wd until it locks dline

Most of the time mine was stuck was because one wheel on each axle did have any traction so they go the power. I was going up a grade and came to a stop because of loss of traction on each axle because of patches of ice.
I laid down tire chains and it drove right up the hill so I could turn around.

FWIW, the 4wd engagement can be finiky, I like to leave hubs unlocked, put tcase in 2wd, spin front dline by hand make sure its free, engage 4wd at tcase then go under and try and spin dline , it should be locked in, if so then go lock hubs, if not spin to a different spot and try putting tcase in 4wd until it locks dline

This is advantage of the vacuum shifter with the light on the dash. Once in 4WD light is on transfer case is locked unless something inside the transfer case is broken. My FJ62 vacuum shift is sluggish compared to my 70 FJ40. Once the vacuum knob is pulled can hear it engage. Manual shift I can tell when I've got it in 4WD. Believe it's 10/82 the split transfer case have a 4WD switch in both manual and electric as Toyota calls it.

My new split transfer case has wires and plugs the 4 speed transfer case did not have since it never had an indicator light for 4H or 4L. I will have to figurer out how to use the wiring that is on the transfer case. I am sure that a DD gauge package with have inputs for them.

My FJ62 has switches for 4WD, transfer case neutral and low range. 4WD is an obvious light. Neutral lights on the shifter to let you know if you put the transmission in park it can still round. Low range it to activate the 4WD switch because Toyota did not design these to run in 2WD low range.

Our 83 models with the removable panel on the dash had the 4WD light. I can not find a listing for a split case transfer light earlier than 10/82 in a 40 series. 60 series has so many variations hard to tell when those started on manual shifter transfer case.

Vacuum or electric shift depending on if vacuum shift was direct mechanical or electric believe always had a 4WD light. US after 72 only had manual shift. 72 believe is a mix. US was the market of few options. Technically there were no H55F five speeds imported here. Most used five speed/transfer case combos are from other markets. The correct transfer case with a fifth gear oiler was made for a 4WD switch, electric or manual. I have thought about switching my 68 back to a vacuum shift. Still have the three speed transfer case. Just four bolt to switch between the two. Or wouldn't be hard to rig a bracket that mounts a switch at the end of the shaft that shifts forward for 4WD. Green light will then go on when in 4WD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom