Came Home To This ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Came Home from working Up North and this was waiting for me heheh. I just went to buy my SAG box today it will be here Friday . Thanks Luke
Resized_Picture 077.jpg

Last edited:
Came Home from working Up North and this was waiting for me heheh. I just went to buy my SAG box today it will be here Friday . Thanks Luke

Looks like a Decker kit.

what year is your cruiser? If it is the later model with the key in colum. Save yourself some time and order the bearing that goes into the end from Kurt. www.cruiseroutfitters.

Luke also sells the non-flame version of the frame horn plates. I used those since the welding is easier. And yes-the top plates have threaded nuts welded on for the frame hooks.

Anyone have a part number for the bearing at the firewall?

Yep that bearing goes on the firewall. There is also a bronze bushing that can fit inside the column depending on year. I used both, but that bearing alone is great. I think you need to reverse the yokes that are slid on the steering shaft. The larger one needs to go to the box and the smaller up towards the firewall. Try to place the end of shaft in the center of the larger yoke. That way the shaft can move in and out as the body and suspension flex. When i got my set up the yokes and joints were together and the upper yoke was pinned to the shaft. The assembly could only go one way.

looks good, i got a Bearing from Poser that sliped right over the steering shaft and went right into the firewall.. worked great!

Question.. What Yokes/u-joints and Slip shaft is that? a kit? or parted together.. Ive got Cheep Afco Joints and they are worn out, i need to upgrade

This all came as a kit from Luke @ 4x4 Labs . I belive the u-joints are Spicer just have to check . Here is an updated Picture Resized_Picture 094.jpg Man I wish I had more time to work on it And if I had any idea what i was doing it would go alot faster:D . Thank you all for the help:beer:
Resized_Picture 094.jpg

lookin good workin on it every now and then is beter ten leting it rust out in a feild somewere..

I have another question for you all ...Is # 1 factory? my cruiser dose not have this bracket its just an open hole i will get pictures. Where can i get this ? OK is #2 from the factory steering shaft i might have cut it off I will have to check tomorrow I will show you what I did:doh: pillowblock.jpg
pillowblock.jpg

help in red deer

there's a fellow in red deer that might be able to help you a bit his name is bud he work's at the local high school in red deer...drive's a real nice blue bj around town...

kevin

I have another question for you all ...Is # 1 factory? my cruiser dose not have this bracket its just an open hole i will get pictures. Where can i get this ? OK is #2 from the factory steering shaft i might have cut it off I will have to check tomorrow I will show you what I did:doh:View attachment 104577
ues #1 is the stock mounting plate. I imagine you could ask up in the wanted section, with kurt, or the like

I have another question for you all ...Is # 1 factory? my cruiser dose not have this bracket its just an open hole i will get pictures. Where can i get this ? OK is #2 from the factory steering shaft i might have cut it off I will have to check tomorrow I will show you what I did:doh:

It's factory on the 9/72' & later FJ40's. You could get one and adapt it to your shaft, but it would be easier IMHO to either buy a complete late model steering column, or just use the plate that uses your existing bolt holes (where your rubber "grommet" used to be secured with the small metal plates).

I always assembly the shaft as have it spread out... with the actual slip joint closest to the column... IMHO there is more room near the column then there is down by the steering box, especially when dodging different motor mount setups, alternators, PS pumps, etc. Either way will work the same assuming clearance isn't an issue...

ps_004.jpg

For my '71 I bought a couple low speed bearings at Northern Tool & Equipment for like $9. Slipped into the housing with some coaking and the steering shaft went right inside. Then I made a plate to weld the housing to that will bolt where the boot went to make the thing solid.

What length is that steering shaft???

Also at Nothern they have a pillow block that is great for a '72 or later. PN 1822-1701 for the housing and PN 1803-17-1 fot the bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom