What did you do on your 70 series today? (50 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was researching the 1HD engine and noticed that the wikipedia cites a MUD thread. We've come full circle. We're official.

1678454803661.png

I was researching the 1HD engine and noticed that the wikipedia cites a MUD thread. We've come full circle. We're official.

View attachment 3268430

It's funny you put this here today. Only 2 days ago I learned that Yanmar 6lp and Yamaha ME 420 were the same basic engine as the 1HD-T. Basically this means that the 1HD-T isn't as "unobtainable" in the US as previously thought. It also means that likely you could take a mechanical IP from a Yanmar 6LP and put it on a 1HD FT E.

It's funny you put this here today. Only 2 days ago I learned that Yanmar 6lp and Yamaha ME 420 were the same basic engine as the 1HD-T. Basically this means that the 1HD-T isn't as "unobtainable" in the US as previously thought. It also means that likely you could take a mechanical IP from a Yanmar 6LP and put it on a 1HD FT E.

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Don't know.... A few years back you enlightened us that the 3B was used in Toyota forklifts. That has helped me get parts more than once.... As of 2 days ago I no longer view the 1hd as such an exotic unobtainable engine, and I also view it as one of capable of really great power.

Awoke this morning to a low tire. I tried a can of tire slime, but when reinflating I saw that there was a cut in the sidewall that was leaking. I took it a couple miles out on the road to try to spread the tire slime around and hope it would plug it. It did not sadly. You can't patch a sidewall normally so I just rode it a mile home flat on the dirt road...... My tires are remolded extra grips from tirecappers. A little different from Old School recaps but still cheap. The tread was still attached to the carcass of the tire after a mile of running flat on it.

IMG_20230311_011133.jpg

I thought I was being stealthy but this game camera thought otherwise. 😊
Might not apply to you, but that's one of the bad things about game cameras. Years back you could walk or explore on unoccupied unposted land and if you didn't tear anything up, litter, or bother anyone nothing would ever come of it. Now you end up with a property owner who knows and ends up feeling violated and sometimes doesn't even say anything but holds a grudge and you don't know or don't know why.

Might not apply to you, but that's one of the bad things about game cameras. Years back you could walk or explore on unoccupied unposted land and if you didn't tear anything up, litter, or bother anyone nothing would ever come of it. Now you end up with a property owner who knows and ends up feeling violated and sometimes doesn't even say anything but holds a grudge and you don't know or don't know why.
Well in this case the property belongs to a close friend and I have unlimited access. 😊

Chris got the new head assembled while I cleaned and painted parts. Diesel services should be finished with the IP this week. New injectors and a metric s*** ton of small parts en route. Turns out there are lots of while-yer-in-thar parts to replace/clean/bless when you pull an engine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

built a rear door fold down table with pull out cutting board and recessed storage
admittedly i stole this design from a guy who makes these out of Aus...but they were too steep for my wallet and shipping was going to be a killer
so i put the welder to work
used cable tensioners for the stays, that way they can be adjusted if the trucks not sitting level

IMG_20230314_210554[1].jpg

next up, axe and shovel mount.
axe and shovel mount plate will be mounted to the extra highlift mount points on the 'ladder'

IMG_20230314_211344[1].jpg

IMG_20230314_211406[1].jpg

built a rear door fold down table with pull out cutting board and recessed storage
admittedly i stole this design from a guy who makes these out of Aus...but they were too steep for my wallet and shipping was going to be a killer
used cable tensioners for the stays, that way they can be adjusted if the trucks not sitting level
Nice! On my list of to-dos as well. I have one of the frontrunner tables on the opposite door, but want to modify it to have the storage behind it too.

Last edited:

View attachment 3272756

That’s awesome, have any measurements or plans you’d be willing to share?

That’s awesome, have any measurements or plans you’d be willing to share?
I used the door card as a template for the dimensions, handle hole and existing mounting holes, used rivnuts in the existing holes with a little drilling, and opened up the hole behind the door card as much as possible without harming the stuctural integrity of the inner door sheet metal. I just used that opening to size the cut for the recess (minus a 1/4 " for fit up) and went full depth to the outer door skin (minus a 1/4"). Had to trim the license plate holder bolts inside the door a bit too

The bottom of the recess hooks over the inner door skin (at the bottom) and goes down about 1 1/2" to get maximum storage out of the space down in there.
I have 3 sets of cutlery in the bottom of the recess and five cups stuffed in there, im going to fill all them cups with coffee/sugar/cream containers too to maximize used space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom