Help me cross reference my 1HD-T/Yanmar 6LPA-DTP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a long block which was from a 2003 Yanmar 6LPA-DTP 260 hp. Rather than be stuck ordering high price Yanmar branded Toyota parts, I want to use the Toyota or aftermarket parts to rebuild. Any ideas exactly what vehicle this block would have been found in? It is a 12 valve so I'm assuming it would be some generation of a 1HD-T.

Wikipedia and others have little critical information to offer me and I cannot find any source outlining changes that may have been made to the 1HD-T over its lifetime. So I'm concerned with just ordering parts for any year Land Cruiser I know had any 1HD-T. Perhaps block numbers I might use to cross reference this previously marine engine to a like auto application?

Valves contacted pistons so I'm looking at doing at least rings, bearings, and valves. I have both a 1HD-T manual and a 6LPA-DTP, and almost ever graphic and specification is identical but not any part number.

I appreciate any insight!

Mike

Pics would be a good start.

Yanmar are used in boat applications only as far as I know.

Sailor should be chiming in shortly, he knows something about boats and the sea, and the men who work on them. Or maybe he just knows a lot about seamen, it's hard to remember.

toyodiy.com
Compare away.

Your rings may be ok. I would check the cylinder walls and deck height before I disturbed the pistons in their bore.

There are on-line Yanmar parts manuals, pretty sure many will match Toyota part numbers and at better pricing.
Did you pick up the intercooler as well?

The Toyota part number for the 1HD-T piston rings is 13011‑17020 and the Yanmar part number for what should be the same piston rings for their 6LP 12 valve and 6LPA 12 valve engines (Toyota 1HD-T engine base) is 119770-00250. My cost for the Yanmar rings is $610! Where can I buy the Toyota rings or aftermarket rings? I'm in the states so Aussie shipping may be significant; Canadian supplier perhaps?

I have the entire marine engine. I am told that the valves made contact and the head was removed and inspected. The diesel tech recommended boring but the owner did not want to make that investment so the engine was reassembled with the repaired head and valvetrain. At that point, the engine would not operate well and still had weak compression. Now it is mine.

The Toyota part number for the 1HD-T piston rings is 13011‑17020 and the Yanmar part number for what should be the same piston rings for their 6LP 12 valve and 6LPA 12 valve engines (Toyota 1HD-T engine base) is 119770-00250. My cost for the Yanmar rings is $610! Where can I buy the Toyota rings or aftermarket rings? I'm in the states so Aussie shipping may be significant; Canadian supplier perhaps?

I have the entire marine engine. I am told that the valves made contact and the head was removed and inspected. The diesel tech recommended boring but the owner did not want to make that investment so the engine was reassembled with the repaired head and valvetrain. At that point, the engine would not operate well and still had weak compression. Now it is mine.

Engines Australia do good quality engine kits for all toyota diesels.The 1HD T kit is about $1200(pistons ring seals bearings gaskets,the lot) plus shipping and I think they may even have dealers in North America now.

The 1HD T has 2 types of pistons,they have different size cavities in the top of the piston. It shouldnt be a problem if they are replaced as a set

The 1HD T has 2 types of pistons,they have different size cavities in the top of the piston. It shouldnt be a problem if they are replaced as a set

That's interesting, any idea where/when each was used and if there's any appreciable performance difference? How much difference would it make to the compression ratio?

Good to hear about Engine Australia; a comprehensive overhaul kit would be excellent!

From what I can find, the different dimensions are as follows:
1990-1992 Combustion Chamber Height (mm): -17.0 Diameter (mm): 41.4
1992-1993 H: -16.3 D: 44.0
Unknown H: -17.1 D: 39.0

That's interesting, any idea where/when each was used and if there's any appreciable performance difference? How much difference would it make to the compression ratio?

I doubt there is any difference to the compression ratio or performance,it was just an upgrade for reliability as far I know.
I think the one with the larger hole was used after 93?
Simon Liew posted some pics about 6 months ago when he was rebuilding a customers 1HD T.

X2 on engines Australia. Just rebuilt my engine and used them for parts. Every engine rebuilder I spoke with all use their kits aswell.

Yanmar versus toyota

Yanmar parts are partly related to Toyota. They use the same suppliers ( like ART for pistons) but there it stops. Partnumbers are different as Yanmar is using their own partnumber system.

Only thing you can do is comparing parts wich means a very loooooooong fishing trip as Yamar will not cooperate in any way.

I have the feeling we are halfway this fishing trip. We bought 2 used engines and stripped them.

The longer you look the more different they are. We found Toyota parts fitting these and we found parts that need to be ordered at Yanmar. There are also parts that we organize ourselves and our Yanmar adventure is getting in the next gear.

We just recieved the first batch pistons for the 6LPA-STZ. At Yanmar these are over U$ 1000,- @ piece. ( Europe price ).

If you need info and / or parts just send a inquiry and we will see if we can assist you. sales@all-american.nl

3 Different pistons in a 1HD-T. First series was without the little notches for the injector area. This piston was superseded in august 1992. These pistons also had a tendency to crack on overloaded engines. The partnumber introduced in 1992.08 was, at first, for General spec vehicles including Australia.

As from this moment on you have to use the designated rings / washers under the injectors so the tip is in the correct position.

In 1993.01 there was a new piston number for countries outside Australia. This was changed again in 1998 as the 1HD-T engine was still in production for some other Toyota vehicles.

Compression ratio stayed the same over all these years. Compression ratio on Yanmar and other Toyota using marine brands is much lower, this due to the larger turbocharger and higher boost levels on these engines.

Hope this explains a bit. Maarten Verschure the Netherlands

I have a long block which was from a 2003 Yanmar 6LPA-DTP 260 hp. Rather than be stuck ordering high price Yanmar branded Toyota parts, I want to use the Toyota or aftermarket parts to rebuild. Any ideas exactly what vehicle this block would have been found in? It is a 12 valve so I'm assuming it would be some generation of a 1HD-T.

Wikipedia and others have little critical information to offer me and I cannot find any source outlining changes that may have been made to the 1HD-T over its lifetime. So I'm concerned with just ordering parts for any year Land Cruiser I know had any 1HD-T. Perhaps block numbers I might use to cross reference this previously marine engine to a like auto application?

Valves contacted pistons so I'm looking at doing at least rings, bearings, and valves. I have both a 1HD-T manual and a 6LPA-DTP, and almost ever graphic and specification is identical but not any part number.

I appreciate any insight!

Mike

Hi MIke,

I am in the same situation like You before with Your yanmar 6 lpa, so can You tell me what type of piston You use in Your engines?? I been checking the toyota 1hd-ft is the same block, i dont know if You already fix You engine or not, but if You already fix tell how stay working...

I wait. Your news

Best regards,
Luciano

Hay all I’m very new to this now my problem is I have a 1hd-fte and apparently a 17bolt valve cover of a late 6lpa will fit my fte , I was wondering if anyone had one for sale in Australia

We have a MUD classifieds where you can buy and sell. There is also a diesel section. They dont fall out of the sky. There is one per engine and wreckers collect spares to make complete engines. Have you got a price from Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom