Any Vise Collectors Here? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Skniper The beat up blue vise is a Columbian (my fave). I've seen thousands of vises and TONS of them broken. I have maybe seen 2 broken Columbians and they still worked. Ductile iron construction is near impossible to break.

@suzuguru Welcome to the thread! Great vises my friend. Some of my favorite vises (Wilton 1780 and Columbian 505 M2).

Thanks!

Hauled in a whale today! Columbian 608 M3. Unbelievable condition. Did not fight me at all on disassembly which is very rare for a big vise. Been on the hunt for one of these for a few years now. Worth the wait!

6E112ECB-B551-41B4-809A-E784BFD83D08.jpeg

1F987956-FAFF-4BED-BBC6-6C82C6BBD58F.jpeg

18361A68-E444-48E8-9A56-E9D9F13B1A77.jpeg

Hauled in a whale today! Columbian 608 M3. Unbelievable condition. Did not fight me at all on disassembly which is very rare for a big vise. Been on the hunt for one of these for a few years now. Worth the wait!

View attachment 3166163

View attachment 3166165

View attachment 3166166
WOW! columbian 8"! That's a rare bird. I'm still trying to find a vise bigger than 6" myself. I missed on a Parker 978 that almost killed me. I did just land this Craftsman 05196 today. Not nearly as nice as the one @RUSH55 landed but it was a good price and will restore nicely. Dated 06/1950.
IMG_0498.jpg

Very NICE! Been seeing these pop up fairly regularly but they all get snatched up very quickly here. Has to be a few Craftsman collectors in my area scouring the ads.

Here’s one of the “odd-ball” vises I mentioned a while back: I’m determined to quit bringing broken things home. I still don’t have the crazy stencil machine fully functional.

9698AEC9-0470-4807-8FE6-5774AD09EF07.jpeg

64740698-EA00-4CA2-AB71-55A685F0EA00.jpeg

I'm not a vise expert, but I figured one of you folks could explain to me how this weird vise works. This was in the basement in a friend's house, so we don't know the origin. I offered to buy it from the landlord, but he wouldn't sell. I'm not clear how the other jaw is used, there doesn't seem to be any way to get the sliding jaw to hold anything in it. Does it reverse somehow? Thoughts?
PXL_20221123_204420783.jpg

PXL_20221123_204429901.jpg

Looks like the moving jaw can be backed all the way out and threaded in from the other direction for a wider jaw opening.

Looks like the moving jaw can be backed all the way out and threaded in from the other direction for a wider jaw opening.
I tried that, it opens and hits a stop like it doesn't want to go any further. I didn't want to break anything on it so I didn't push it.

@KLF @AirheadNut is right. It is a reversible jaw. There is usually a lip on the bottom that you will have to bypass by lifting up on the dynamic as it is nearly all the way out. This is to keep you from inadvertantly sending it out and onto the floor. Not sure about yours but others are like that.

Cool find.

OK I'll try that the next time I get a chance. Thanks!

Had a quick visit in my shop of a 2nd Wilton 800S!!!

Came up locally and at a great price. Seller bought at a school auction and said he got 2 of them and didn’t need this one. Didn’t have to do much. It was missing a dust cap for the back end and found a novel solution for a temporary one. Turns out a spray paint lid is a perfect match for the inside diameter AND the inner nut diameter. Was in my garage for a total of 4 days before sold to new owner in NC.

74DD0E28-8563-4683-87D9-9C715A026769.jpeg

4D019942-0E8F-4176-BB16-409295CF7262.jpeg

5A70A713-B81E-45DD-A33A-0DF24DFB4DDD.jpeg

3022B619-DD11-48AF-8F52-6039224B2958.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg

I landed this badly broken and repaired Reed 3C back in October. At the same time I found a new dynamic jaw assembly for sale online. I just got the new jaw this week. Finally a Reed C series for my collection!

Nice some of my favorite. I have a 2 and 4, seems like the 3c are the hardest to find.
1c are out there just don't want to pay the asking prices lol

I won the local "Offerup underpriced vise" contest yesterday. A Prentiss 50 was listed for $30 and it looked to be in near perfect condition. It was about 50 miles away but I had the day off so I took a chance. I offered over the asking price and was the first to respond so we made the deal. He said he had seven other responses with some over asking price. Even said he had one from Kitsap @Mr Wonderful?

As a bonus, I was able to make two other deals in the area that I had been working but didn't want to drive that far for just those deals. It's nice when you can pro-rate the cost of gas over a few deals, makes it more tolerable.

As an extra bonus as I was driving from one stop to the next I saw some sockets in the road so I went around the block and picked up a set of 3/4 drive sockets that were scattered in the road. I was hoping for Snap-On but the only makings could find were "China".
IMG_1072.jpg

I won the local "Offerup underpriced vise" contest yesterday. A Prentiss 50 was listed for $30 and it looked to be in near perfect condition. It was about 50 miles away but I had the day off so I took a chance. I offered over the asking price and was the first to respond so we made the deal. He said he had seven other responses with some over asking price. Even said he had one from Kitsap @Mr Wonderful?

As a bonus, I was able to make two other deals in the area that I had been working but didn't want to drive that far for just those deals. It's nice when you can pro-rate the cost of gas over a few deals, makes it more tolerable.

As an extra bonus as I was driving from one stop to the next I saw some sockets in the road so I went around the block and picked up a set of 3/4 drive sockets that were scattered in the road. I was hoping for Snap-On but the only makings could find were "China".View attachment 3213147
Guilty lol. Ya I knew there was no way I could get that before it was gone. It looks immaculate, congrats! Im glad it went to someone who will keep it, not just a flipper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom