Any Vise Collectors Here? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wasn’t really familiar with the method of take-up for the main nut. They cast in some bosses on either side of the bottom and provided a place for a piece of keystock with a threaded hole in the center for a set screw - probably inspired and improved upon Reed design. The issue I noticed right away is that the set screw backed off twice already. So my first mod to the 5195 is a jam nut.

50B6BA9D-612C-446D-A7C2-DE1AC84FE719.jpeg

B3CE4A8A-C168-4714-AF4A-2D696ED5A453.jpeg

I wasn’t really familiar with the method of take-up for the main nut. They cast in some bosses on either side of the bottom and provided a place for a piece of keystock with a threaded hole in the center for a set screw - probably inspired and improved upon Reed design. The issue I noticed right away is that the set screw backed off twice already. So my first mod to the 5195 is a jam nut.

View attachment 3157101

View attachment 3157102
Rush,

just a word of caution on that drive nut. I'm sure you've seen on the GJ thread they can be somewhat fragile. From my own experience I mounted my 05197 on my bench as a user as well. I was using it to hold some round stock I was threading. I used only hand strength to tighten it, although I did lean into it a bit. When I took the stock out I looked in horror as the spindle had backed out of the dynamic jaw about a half inch. I thought I had blown out the drive nut. It turns out the spindle collar had been pushed back. My craftsman isn't as nice as yours but I decided to take it out of user rotation for fear of permanent damage. I don't use any of my "smaller" vises hard and if anything I was surprised it took so little force to move. I don't think these possibly Rock Island made Craftsman vises are up to heavy use. I'd be downright paranoid to use that beauty lol

Appreciate the feedback with the experience you’ve had with your Craftsman @Mr Wonderful .

It appears that the only real possible weak spot is the main nut, of which I haven’t had a chance to get a good look at. The rest of it has the feel of a tank. It would be nice to identify the screw size and thread pitch, and see if there’s another manufacturer’s parts which may work in case anything ever were to happen.
Out of all my vises, it will be the one that sees the lightest actual use. The one that gets the heaviest use is a broken down Athol 614-1/2.

D3FADA12-1FA0-40BE-A07F-0325A53FB077.jpeg

0BBB42B9-C198-437E-85E3-80898E892AA2.jpeg

Sadly, my Dad’s crisp Columbian 205 came to its permanent new home in my shop. I gave it to him as a birthday present years ago. He passed away last month. He babies it I guess because he felt bad “abusing” a gift. I will miss him terribly but remember him every time I pick up one of his tools.
809A17A0-5883-4667-855C-7DC3C97B930F.jpeg
B6854AFC-26B2-42B9-B338-DA8F260C8AC4.jpeg
D7A31A82-C031-43A9-81E8-D5A7CDE8D863.jpeg

Sadly, my Dad’s crisp Columbian 205 came to its permanent new home in my shop. I gave it to him as a birthday present years ago. He passed away last month. He babies it I guess because he felt bad “abusing” a gift. I will miss him terribly but remember him every time I pick up one of his tools.View attachment 3158358View attachment 3158359View attachment 3158360

Sorry to hear of your dad, I lost my dad in the middle of 2020. He always made me swear I would never get rid the small Reed 3.5 I posted about early in this thread. That vise was being used hard in their steel warehouse when he was a kid.

Really cool family treasure Columbian. ☮️

I don't know much about vises but I enjoy the history of mine (Desmond Simplex no 400)... belonged to my grandfather. Well-used over the years judging by the appearance. My dad gave it to me knowing I would probably need it while working on the cruiser. btw...great thread - enjoy seeing tools and machinery with a history still in use.
IMG_7253.jpg

Last edited:
OP, I like your style. I don't collect vise's, but I've got several. I always say that they are one of the most useful, if not the most useful tool in a shop. My go to vise is a Wilton with an 8" jaw. (first pic below) I've got another good size vise on the way here from Austria. (It's a German Vise, though.)

IMG_0271.jpg

This is one I saved from the dumpster. It looks rough, but it works great. Sure has character.

IMG_0246.jpg

This is one I saved from a house that was being flipped. They guy was throwing it out with the trash. It was completely frozen up.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know much about vises but I enjoy the history of mine (Desmond Simplex no 400)... belonged to my grandfather. Well-used over the years judging by the appearance. My dad gave it to me knowing I would probably need it while working on the cruiser. btw...great thread - enjoy seeing tools and machinery with a history still in use.View attachment 3162356
Love the lines on the Desmond, that a cool ass looking vise.

OP, I like your style. I don't collect vise's, but I've got several. I always say that they are one of the most useful, if not the most useful tools in a shop. My go to vise is a Wilton with an 8" jaw. (first pic below) I've got another good size vise on the way here from Austria. (It's a German Vise, though.)

View attachment 3162373

This is one I saved from the dumpster. It looks rough, but it works great. Sure has character.

View attachment 3162374

This is one I saved from a house that was being flipped. They guy was throwing it out with the trash. It was completely frozen up.

View attachment 3162375

View attachment 3162376

View attachment 3162377

Love that beat up blue, what is it? What deal on that Wilton beauty, good save.

@Skniper The beat up blue vise is a Columbian (my fave). I've seen thousands of vises and TONS of them broken. I have maybe seen 2 broken Columbians and they still worked. Ductile iron construction is near impossible to break.

@suzuguru Welcome to the thread! Great vises my friend. Some of my favorite vises (Wilton 1780 and Columbian 505 M2).

I made this reply yesterday, but I guess I forgot to hit the ‘post’ button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom