Correct wheel color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ this 9 of 67 they switched to grey....

way back in the early 60's? 25 series had black rims, AFAIK all 40's had grey
@Living in the Past

In US market:
25’s had body color wheels.
1961-1967 FJ40’s had black wheels with “acorn” hubcaps
1968-1980 had grey with newer style hubcaps.
1981-end had white wagon wheels

I thought they didn't switch to grey until later in the '60s, like '65 or so. That said I don't have any supporting data, just "I seem to remember..."

Thanks!

My mistake, I thought 25's were black. I didn't know early 40 and 45's were black also.

In US market:
25’s had body color wheels.
1961-1967 FJ40’s had black wheels with “acorn” hubcaps
1968-1980 had grey with newer style hubcaps.
1981-end had white wagon wheels

The switch to the new style hub cap changed around the end of 1968 or early 1969. Never figured a actual start date for the 69 model. Being pre 3/69 it's much harder to figure out. 68 still had acorn hub caps and tall single level pads on the hood. Like the hub caps not sure when the split level pads started. My 68 which I bought 7/74 still had three hub acorn hub caps and the tall pads. It also has a single pulley harmonic balancer and no sign it had a brakes for a air pump. It did have plug air ports for air rail on the head. When I bought I thought it was odd it had one black wheel. Now years later wondering if they didn't switch as fast to grey on wheels for the spare.

To expand further... the 100dth thread about rims colors :)

For those who need it perfect ... gray went from all gray to gray outside only in 72/73

E-60 body color
61-67 black rims
68-72/73 gray rims
72/73 - 7/80 gray outside only
8/80-84 white wagon wheels

To expand further... the 100dth thread about rims colors :)

For those who need it perfect ... gray went from all gray to gray outside only in 72/73

E-60 body color
61-67 black rims
68-72/73 gray rims
72/73 - 7/80 gray outside only
8/80-84 white wagon wheels

We could pin the 72/73 date even closer if we have enough members with original rims in that date range look at the date on the rim. Rims have a production date under the rubber band that is used to protect a tube from the head of the rivets.

This not so relevant to wheel color but just to add in case someone is not aware (from 100 other threads lol), the steel wheel changes slightly in 1976 (iirc) when disc brakes became standard on the fj40. They look very similar with the most obvious difference being that the new center is welded vs. riveted. New wheels fit old trucks but NOT vice-versa. New are still available from Toyota amd ironically they come satin black! PN 42601-60082

I also have a set of 5 of the spoked wheels which are appropriate for your year. I am trying to figure out what to do with them since I'm having a fit up issue with them on my '76 that is necessitating wheel spacers. They are powder coated Cygnus White, but have been plastidipped over them, which can be removed.
Hi @Rooster47 , saw your note that you had them (maybe later model fj40 wagon wheels) in Cygnus white, which I think is PPG 833. Any idea what that translates to for powder coat systems? My powder coated is having trouble matching/translating the numbers. :). Cheers -max

Hi @Rooster47 , saw your note that you had them (maybe later model fj40 wagon wheels) in Cygnus white, which I think is PPG 833. Any idea what that translates to for powder coat systems? My powder coated is having trouble matching/translating the numbers. :). Cheers -max
Did anyone ever figure out what powder coat color is close to Cygnus White? So far I have come up with RAL 1013, RAL 9010 and RAL 9016 as close but cannot find confirmation. Thanks Mark

Hi Mark @merbesfield . are you painting wheels? Wimbledon White is an easy color for them to match and is very close to the off-white creamy color you'd want.

No I am having them powder coated. They are new 16” Toyota wheels to replace my 15’s.
Are you switching to the 16x6 70 series wheels? I just bought a set and am trying to decide whether to run them original silver or to powder them white.

Are you switching to the 16x6 70 series wheels? I just bought a set and am trying to decide whether to run them original silver or to powder them white.
I am not sure what the wheels are from but they are new 16” version of my 15” wagons wheels. Here is a pic of my 15” wheels.

2646F43B-C5AB-4081-AE71-C15B4F117779.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom