Correct wheel color? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grey wheels rule.
Black is good too, especially for early rigs.

DSC_1885.jpg

From what I understand, my wheels in the photo below would be correct for your year.

There is A LOT of conflicting information on what color "white" to paint them (and the roof and bezel).
Most people seem to have access to info on body colors and pick a white from that list. My opinion to follow:

There is "accessory" color code information floating around on this forum, but like all nuggets of good info here you'll have to dig through a lot of NOT as good info. Keep in mind anyone can post whatever info they think is gospel (including me) so it can be a challenge to sort out what was truly OEM.

Admittedly, I'm no expert, but I chose to paint mine Shell Ivory. The wheels are not "correct" for my year ('74) but I got a super-good deal on them, I love the look and they will match my bezel and roof. Incidentally the color below matches (almost perfectly) the original paint I found under the respray on both the bezels I have.

Also, have you ever wondered why the background of the 4wd emblem and the sun visors are the only "tan" on most FJ40's? Hint: I think it's because most people, if going for factory colors, might be respraying the wrong "white" or maybe they just like bright white better for their trucks. However, you do you, no judgement from me.

Your in luck! I found these ones on eBay at a steal for a mere $2,430.00 +$270 shipping. Set 5 Toyota LandCruiser FJ40 Rims Wagon Wheels Vintage Factory 79 - 84 Rare | eBay
Apparently those blasted and repainted in "very close to the factory Cygnus white originally on the rims" wheels are so rare they trade straight across for their weight in gold. :rofl: Also, Cygnus white appears in the color books for body paint, I did not see it in the paint book for accessories that I saw. And if anyone is thinking about pulling the trigger on those eBay wheels, I'll sell you 5 in the same "fresh from paint" condition (although they are Shell Ivory, if you think Cygnus is correct) for $2000 shipped LOL. 2 of them pictured below. Hit me in my PMs.

If you are keeping the split wheels, I would either paint them gray like some previous people suggested, or do whatever color you want. If they don't pass the cruiser-head purist test in any way, then they don't count, right? If you can't make the Cruiser Gods happy, you might as well make yourself happy. <oh man, that's gonna be my sig line.

P.S. I actually really dig the brown color yours came in.

IMG_1118.jpg

Early clip style wheels, '67 and earlier (I think) are black. Later clip wheels (as in clips to hold the hub caps) would be grey until 1979 the US wheels are similar to a 60 series wheel and are white. Non US split rims should be grey.

If you go grey powder coat, RAL 7042 like @pbr streetgang said or try RAL 7037.

If you go white powder try RAL 9016 or more yellowish RAL 9010.
Paint or powder make sure the white is a little "antique" or it will look wrong.

Those split rims have some drawbacks but are sweet in that you can run 16" rubber btw.

Run the color you like, it's your truck.
Good luck!

RAL 7037 powder coat.
20180710_194519.jpg

Both 7042 and 7037 cast a little "brown" and not "blue". It looks a lot better on a Cruiser imo. As for the colors one is just a bit darker than the other. Both nice tho.
20181101_171611.jpg

I also have a set of 5 of the spoked wheels which are appropriate for your year. I am trying to figure out what to do with them since I'm having a fit up issue with them on my '76 that is necessitating wheel spacers. They are powder coated Cygnus White, but have been plastidipped over them, which can be removed.

All this info is awesome. This is one of the best forum's I have been on and I have been on several with all the vehicles I have owned lol.

I really like the look of the split wheels and will powder coat them gray. I know a purist might call me out but hey its just the wheels, can always be changed :) Thanks again everyone!

All this info is awesome. This is one of the best forum's I have been on and I have been on several with all the vehicles I have owned lol.

I really like the look of the split wheels and will powder coat them gray. I know a purist might call me out but hey its just the wheels, can always be changed :) Thanks again everyone!

If you ever sell it (don't!) the new owner can change the wheel color if they want!

Cheers

Whoa whoa whoa, where are you going in such a hurry? let's get a pic of the whole truck. I never don't get excited over a new landcruiser.

Whoa whoa whoa, where are you going in such a hurry? let's get a pic of the whole truck. I never don't get excited over a new landcruiser.

LOL, I am actually supposed to pick it up next week. I don't even have possession of it yet so I am super pre-mature excited HAHA. Once I have it in my garage I will share several photo's I promise!

Admittedly, I'm no expert, but I chose to paint mine Shell Ivory. The wheels are not "correct" for my year ('74) but I got a super-good deal on them, I love the look and they will match my bezel and roof. Incidentally the color below matches (almost perfectly) the original paint I found under the respray on both the bezels I have.

View attachment 1822410

Did you find a rattle can that was close to Shell Ivory or did you have paint mixed?

Rustoleum rattled bows n rims in Satin Heirloom white. Initially a touch bright....but with a few months of sun and natural darkening-the rims will catch up to the bows and body.

FD02610D-1AA9-4AA1-977D-9336E9C3A69A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom