The Coleman Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cardboard box for this propane lantern got wet on a trip an disintegrated. I couldn’t find a case so I made one out of wood. I think it came out okay.

1C47251C-B86D-40BD-8423-B315008E2B9F.jpeg

7775CE94-DE81-4E8C-BC7E-68AFBD07A74D.jpeg

Yep, looks great!

Here’s my project for today. Picked up this 426D dated 3/‘70 for $10 last weekend. Rough shape all around and the fuel tank was really bad inside. Cleaned the generator and fuel pick up tube, runs much better.

A bit of TLC, Naval Jelly, vinegar and some Acetone for the fuel tank & it looks much better & runs great. Not a garage queen but at least the rust is gone & it’s not grungy.
Before TLC

After TLC

97819D89-54A7-4FA9-A496-72AF6222F596.jpeg

And after TLC
F3A73748-7908-4EED-9DBA-AB04F9012E9B.jpeg

Before TLC
1E3F648A-23B1-4281-B57A-70DF0D314E32.jpeg

Last edited:
^^^

Yep, me too. Not fond of the newer stuff.

Yep, looks great!

Here’s my project for today. Picked up this 426D dated 3/‘70 for $10 last weekend. Rough shape all around and the fuel tank was really bad inside. Cleaned the generator and fuel pick up tube, runs much better.

A bit of TLC, Naval Jelly, vinegar and some Acetone for the fuel tank & it looks much better & runs great. Not a garage queen but at least the rust is gone & it’s not grungy.
Before TLC

After TLC

View attachment 2933095

And after TLC
View attachment 2933096

Before TLC
View attachment 2933107
10 BUCKS??? It looks brand new in the before photo. Geez, good score. I really want a 3 burner, never will find for $10 around here.

Yeah, you are correct in that it didn’t have very many hours on it…but man the fuel tank was just plain awful. Terrible smell, very varnishy and very rusty inside. The check valve was plugged up too.

But all’s well that ends well. $10 was a good buy…but at the same garage sale I purchased another stove and a lantern…so they gave me a break.😊

^^^

Yep, me too. Not fond of the newer stuff.
I'd love to get a Coleman 2 burner "power house" stove as all we have now is a 502-700 Sportster stove which works great and which we love. I could go propane but that would mean lugging propane bottles for that reason alone.

So I was wondering what the issue is, in your opinion, with the newer Coleman double burner stoves. Coleman seems to be the only liquid fuel stove top out there but I won't buy junk.

Nah, you will,be fine with the newer Coleman stuff, they are still good. But for me old Coleman products are like LandCruisers. Sometimes hard to find the part you need but built lIke tanks and always rebuildable . And I like white gas better than propane too. Not all of my camping is done at higher elevations but often at 6-8k & white gas does better than propane at elevation.

I too carry around my 502…it’s in my 60 all the time. My suggestion would be for you to consider a used Coleman model 425B stove. Clean it up & you’ve got a great stove. 2 burner, powerful and a bit smaller than the newer Powerhouse stove of today. Takes up less room. Good hunting.

I've got a 1975 425E stove that was my dad's. From what he tells me he used it once to melt down some lead. When he started racing his Hobie catamaran he didn't weigh enough to meet minimum weight. So he melted down lead and filled 1" PVC tubes with it and then lashed it to the boat. Pretty sure he still has the weights somewhere.
I ended up with the stove after it had been sitting in a closet at my grandmother's house for years. With the stove I also got 2 gallons of Coleman Fuel. One was opened and the other was still sealed. I finished off the first gallon and it was terrible. It had a horrible time trying to light. I guess a lot of the volatile compounds had evaporated out of it. Second gallon seems to be working fine.

I've since switched to a new propane Coleman stove mostly because the 425 was giving me issues. The tube from the tank inserts into the burner and there is almost always a flame coming out of it and will cause my pans to become very sooty on the bottom. It becomes a mess. I'm sure there is a simple fix to it. I just haven't taken the time to mess with it. The propane stove was brand new for like $20 also.

Somehow my dad kept the original box and the instructions that came with the 425E.
image_6487327 (1).JPG

image_6487327.JPG

Is there any way to tell when the fuel was made based on a marking on the container?
image_123927839.JPG

image_123927839 (1).JPG

Judging by the artwork on the can, I'm guessing that's from the late 80s to early 90s, possibly earlier. Funny thing; save the can when it's empty. Some true Colemanholics will pay good $$$ to round out their collection of empty vintage white gas cans.

Also a fan of the 425, 2-burner stoves, and keeping a hiking single-burner around is just table stakes,

Yep, @Mrtwooooo your dad’s old 425E certainly looks good.

Stoves are much easier to rehab than lanterns. If you want to give it a go, I suggest a YouTube by Old Town Coleman on how to rebuild a 2 burner Coleman Stove. He does a good video w/o a bunch of nonsense.

Stopped by an estate sale to check out some tools, no tools there that I had to have, but brought this orphaned 413E home with me. I walked by it 10 times with no interest, really looking to find a 3 burner. Then realized its a 413 with extendable legs and fold back platform top...and the tanks on these are huge! The guy had stashed a bonus Coleman filter and propane tank and adapter inside, couldn't pass it up....and I don't have a 413.
I passed on the two lanterns sitting there, not unique to what I want in my herd.

The stove is dirty and looks very well used/loved. It will clean up well with age correct patina. Where is the date code on these??

tempImage6f6slG.png

tempImageegGHnK.png

tempImageyCS297.png

tempImagexJWtoP.png

@Skniper There are 2 places to look for dates…on the bottom side of the stove, not always there and sometimes very faint. The 2nd place to look is on the red fuel tank…look on the underneath side of the 2 tabs that you slide into the stove when you put the tank on.

Stopped by an estate sale to check out some tools, no tools there that I had to have, but brought this orphaned 413E home with me. I walked by it 10 times with no interest, really looking to find a 3 burner. Then realized its a 413 with extendable legs and fold back platform top...and the tanks on these are huge! The guy had stashed a bonus Coleman filter and propane tank and adapter inside, couldn't pass it up....and I don't have a 413.
I passed on the two lanterns sitting there, not unique to what I want in my herd.

The stove is dirty and looks very well used/loved. It will clean up well with age correct patina. Where is the date code on these??

View attachment 2937141

View attachment 2937144

View attachment 2937145

View attachment 2937143
oh sweet!

I didn't know that wire on the lid formed a table!
Sweet picture, thanks for that!!

nice score, stock Al funnel!! 🤙

@Skniper There are 2 places to look for dates…on the bottom side of the stove, not always there and sometimes very faint. The 2nd place to look is on the red fuel tank…look on the underneath side of the 2 tabs that you slide into the stove when you put the tank on.

Couldn't find a date code anywhere, perhaps it will reveal itself after a good cleaning.

Inside the tank looks pristine what I can see, poured the old gas out and it looked very clean and smelled good, poured it back in. Holds pressure and fired right up, can't get a good blue flame though, it definitely needs a thorough break down and clean.

Just as an FYI the 413E’s were made from 1954-1961.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom