The Coleman Thread (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I just got this off craigslist for half of asking. I think the round gold tank makes it early 1950s. Been wanting one of these and it seems in good shape. No pressure at the pump as the leather is very dry. I'll soak tonight and try tomorrow. There was a bit of fuel in it along with some air hiss when I cracked open the fuel cap. Valve moves freely with just a bit of pressure. up down lever also moving freely. Assuming I can get the tank pressurized after soaking the leather, any reason why I can't try and light this one? thanks in advance all you Coleman experts. No seriously you guys are great at this.

View attachment 2962395
I bought one of those for $5 at a garage sale on my way home from a camping trip! Unfortunately I was stupid and sold it at a garage sale about 15 years later.

:doh:

I bought one of those for $5 at a garage sale on my way home from a camping trip! Unfortunately I was stupid and sold it at a garage sale about 15 years later.

did it run?

did it run?
It ran great for several years. Then I decided to do the aforementioned propane conversion, and it didn't work all that well... mrs surfpig didn't like f'ing with the white gas getting her coffee or cooking. So later I went all in with propane.

mrs surfpig didn't like f'ing with the white gas getting her coffee or cooking. So later I went all in with propane.

Same-same!
I'd had a new inbox two burner Coleman white gas that my parents got at a garage sale sometime in the early 2000s. It was probably an 80s model, that I ran for several years. When joining with wife, she always hated lighting the white gas stove..... I now regret having given up that stove. 😫
So we went propane Coleman for a while,
But now we're into a partner stove 😈

Same-same!
I'd had a new inbox two burner Coleman white gas that my parents got at a garage sale sometime in the early 2000s. It was probably an 80s model, that I ran for several years. When joining with wife, she always hated lighting the white gas stove..... I now regret having given up that stove. 😫
So we went propane Coleman for a while,
But now we're into a partner stove 😈
My more serious overlanding guys here in AZ swear by the Partners.

Yeah, they're bulletproof and field repairable (think co$t vs price with a partner....). I was introduced via commercial multi day boating trips when I was a guide. It took us a few years to afford/earn one for family use.

I'm keeping a coleman for when the kids want to borrow a stove for their future camping trips with friends.... One has to earn the partner! 😈🤣

So I just got this off craigslist for half of asking. I think the round gold tank makes it early 1950s. Been wanting one of these and it seems in good shape. No pressure at the pump as the leather is very dry. I'll soak tonight and try tomorrow. There was a bit of fuel in it along with some air hiss when I cracked open the fuel cap. Valve moves freely with just a bit of pressure. up down lever also moving freely. Assuming I can get the tank pressurized after soaking the leather, any reason why I can't try and light this one? thanks in advance all you Coleman experts. No seriously you guys are great at this.

View attachment 2962395
Nice 425! I have one as well, and use it every camping trip. Circa 48-52

got a few out to sell today from the storage unit and just about put them right back. Especially like the 3-burners and the little picnic stoves that Coleman made in the 50s-60s that used the small bottles of Coleman gas.

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

Very nice…very!

I believe that tank was common to the 413C which Coleman started building in 1947ish.

I believe that tank was common to the 413C which Coleman started building in 1947ish.
I was under the impression that the 413C was 1940s.

EDIT. Just found a chart. 1942-1949.
That one looks great for being over 70 years old.

I was under the impression that the 413C was 1940s.

EDIT. Just found a chart. 1942-1949.
That one looks great for being over 70 years old.
Was used for a lot of deer hunting trips over the years. Will work on clean up this week and see what gaskets I need. Tank has a lot of sediment so will be cleaning that real well.

got a few out to sell today from the storage unit and just about put them right back. Especially like the 3-burners and the little picnic stoves that Coleman made in the 50s-60s that used the small bottles of Coleman gas.

View attachment 2968937

View attachment 2968938

View attachment 2968939

View attachment 2968940
Cool! Haven’t seen the picnic stoves before.
I’m still looking for a 3 burner….don’t need one, just want one, because I ain’t got one.

I wonder if any of you might have a birthday lantern dated 12/76 that you would part with? I have been watching one on ebay for over a year but before I go ahead with a purchase I figured I'd ask around. Thought it would make a good gift for my brother this Christmas.

I'll give it a coupla days here and then go ahead with the ebay buy. Thanks in advance for looking.:cheers:

Kevin

Cool! Haven’t seen the picnic stoves before.
I’m still looking for a 3 burner….don’t need one, just want one, because I ain’t got one.
I'd consider selling the one in the pic above if you're interested. I have a pretty good box. or maybe some Mudship which would be the better option. PM me if interested.

I got this three burner (different from the one pictured above in thread) a few years ago off FleaBay and I'm ashamed to say didn't open it. I did so yesterday and I think only the center burner had ever been lit. It's a 426D from June 1969. Anyone know what the small stamped number in the bottom of the interior of the stove box means? It needs a new washer for the fuel cap as leaks just a little bit but all three burners burn strongly. Almost no yellow flame at all on starting just blue all the way. So clear it was almost impossible to see in full daylight had to put my hand over it to be sure.

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

pic showing the stamped number I'm asking about. I now the number on the tank tab indicates June of 1969 just wonder about he 917 number that looks like it was engraved on the box itself. thanks in advance to you Coleman gurus! oh and the pics don't show the sides but it's the diamond cutouts rather than the ovals. Some on this forum have said you can tell the difference in the thickness of the steel between these two variations but they look nearly the same to me.

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

What’s the best way to clean the inside of the tank? I don’t think it’s rusted, just hunky and black. I’m going to need a few sponges to clean the grease off a lot of this, but it’s cleaning up well. Believe the burner body was actually painted black based on how it came off when I cleaned. Can’t find a date code anywhere however.

The way I clean the tank: pour a bit if vinegar (can even use white gas) in the tank, drop in some appropriate sized nuts/bolts, shake & drain…repeat if necessary.

If the tank is really bad I have used acetone instead of vinegar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom