The Coleman Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Both of those finds are INCREDIBLE classics! Particularly the 1980 (*final years of production) of the 200A. Those models use the classic valves before they went to the plastic fuel feed tubes, and are rare due to being in green. Prior 200A production was always in red with even more rare Gold Bond special editions in pale yellow. The latter selling for thousand$ through collector circles.

The 220 Big Hat is another rare transitional model given its 'soupcan' frame rest, as it looks like the Campbell's soup cans we all know from the era. These were excellent and reliable old technology valve systems which will last forever. Being a bit harder to disassemble for cleaning, the 220 series is still the mainstay of the classic lantern era, and the utility of having a wide-brimmed reflector with white enameling on the bottom makes for a lot of light projection downward around a picnic table. Edit: it even comes with the Safe underneath that should contain spare mantels and a wrench...

Those are amazing finds, and I've never seen a 200A in the wild in my area, not to mention green and UNFIRED. Can't wait to hear the story behind the acquisition, if you'd care to tell it,

Wow, thank you for the info. The 200A is indeed new in the box and now I’m going to keep it there. The 220 is used but lite right up we’re going to start using that one on trail rides. It does have extra mentals and a wrench still in it belly.
These came from my wife’s late father’s garage I never thought much of his camping stuff until recently as we got two Coleman stoves (posted earlier) this trip was for a 1956 Creastliner v bottom boat and two motors. We just happened to grab the lamps. There are two more lanterns there I will grab next trip both red one with a broken globe, not sure the models.
8FADD467-2598-4DB0-B56A-E2BB5FCE17CC.jpeg
61938B4C-839F-40F7-BECF-CD28D4EB7CD5.jpeg

Small Johnsons.....not that there's anything wrong with that...:rimshot:

I took the plunge and graduated from a single burner Coleman 502-700 Sportster to a Coleman 414 PowerHouse Dual Burner stove.
I also got the Mr Heater propane adapter for it.
I must say the flame using the liquid fuel is impressive, the flame via propane a little less so but certainly adequate.
The first trip will be in couple of months.
So: what spare parts for the stove do I want NOW?

Liquid fuel:
20220314_151129s.jpg

1 lb. propane bottle:
20220314_145822s.jpg

@FrazzledHunter Unless you actually damage a part of your new stove you shouldn’t really need to carry around parts. These items don’t really ‘wear out’. The most likely thing they will need from time to time is a cleaning of the generator and or the fuel pick up tube. Both are pretty straightforward when needed.

You have a nice looking stove.

@FrazzledHunter Unless you actually damage a part of your new stove you shouldn’t really need to carry around parts. These items don’t really ‘wear out’. The most likely thing they will need from time to time is a cleaning of the generator and or the fuel pick up tube. Both are pretty straightforward when needed.

Thanks for the reply. Understood. The only thing I ever had to replace was the plunger on my old 1970's 502 LOL.
I found the flame output on this thing surprising. I ran it full for a few minutes to test it however, the photo shows both burners running lower.
Running full, I was afraid I'd set off the house smoke alarm even though it was running under the exhaust fan on high!

Coleman is the only manufacturer of these liquid stoves; pretty much everything else is propane at least for the larger stoves. So I have a fear that Coleman will one day quit making these stoves and parts will become very scarce.

Roger on the generator cleaning, I'm familiar with that process.

And one other thing that I forgot. The pump up cup. Older ones are leather and they can be easily rehabed with a small amount of oil.

Last edited:

What John said. They last a very long time with occasional cleaning.

Any
I took the plunge and graduated from a single burner Coleman 502-700 Sportster to a Coleman 414 PowerHouse Dual Burner stove.
I also got the Mr Heater propane adapter for it.
I must say the flame using the liquid fuel is impressive, the flame via propane a little less so but certainly adequate.
The first trip will be in couple of months.
So: what spare parts for the stove do I want NOW?

Liquid fuel:
View attachment 2952399

1 lb. propane bottle:
View attachment 2952400
details on that mr heater coupler for Coleman stove?

Any

details on that mr heater coupler for Coleman stove?

Mr. Heater Pressure Regulated Propane Convertor​

Pressure Regulated Propane Convertor - https://www.mrheater.com/pressure-regulated-propane-convertor.html

Search around you may find a better price. I got the converter and the stove via Cabela's.

EDIT: I got the propane adapter to provide the ultimate in flexibility. But if you really want to go the propane route you can get the Mr. Heater hose that adapts a 20+ lb. propane tank to a 1lb. fitting. I have this hose for My Mr Heater Portable Buddy Heater. Again, search around for prices.
10ft Buddy Series Propane Hose Assembly - https://www.mrheater.com/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html

Last edited:

Mr. Heater Pressure Regulated Propane Convertor​

Pressure Regulated Propane Convertor - https://www.mrheater.com/pressure-regulated-propane-convertor.html

Search around you may find a better price. I got the converter and the stove via Cabela's.

EDIT: I got the propane adapter to provide the ultimate in flexibility. But if you really want to go the propane route you can get the Mr. Heater hose that adapts a 20+ lb. propane tank to a 1lb. fitting. I have this hose for My Mr Heater Portable Buddy Heater. Again, search around for prices.
10ft Buddy Series Propane Hose Assembly - https://www.mrheater.com/10ft-buddy-series-propane-hose-assembly.html
thanks very much bud!

Yep, looks great!

Here’s my project for today. Picked up this 426D dated 3/‘70 for $10 last weekend. Rough shape all around and the fuel tank was really bad inside. Cleaned the generator and fuel pick up tube, runs much better.

A bit of TLC, Naval Jelly, vinegar and some Acetone for the fuel tank & it looks much better & runs great. Not a garage queen but at least the rust is gone & it’s not grungy.
Before TLC

After TLC

View attachment 2933095

And after TLC
View attachment 2933096

Before TLC
View attachment 2933107
hey bud I've noticed you're on this thread quite often and seem to be a master at cleaning up these stoves. Would you care to do a short write-up of your cleaning and checkout procedures? I think it'd be much appreciated by me and others on this thread... which has really grown over the years! much like my collection.

Stove refurbish

Coleman gas lantern refurbish

Sure, be glad to. Whatever I have learned started with these 2 guys. One for white gas Stoves & one for white gas Lanterns. A bunch of videos out there but these 2 guys are very good, to the point w/o a bunch of nonsense.

Especially the Lantern guy, he tells you what chemicals to use…vinegar, Napa Jelly for rust etc etc. Not positive but I believe this guy at one time owned Old Coleman Parts. A extremely good supplier of Coleman parts needed for some rebuilds.

You can’t really screw these stove or lanterns up…at least not beyond repair when you figure what you screwed up. Pretty simple & pretty basic. Almost like working on a LandCruiser…if you can follow the instructions on a good YouTube, you can accomplish almost any task.

Good luck & if you ever have a specific question I can assist with…always here!

Coleman feather 442 dual fuel, bought back in the early 90's and still going strong.

Frying up some onions to add to the rest of dinner a week or so ago in death valley.

f442.jpg

I have a dual burner 424 as well, but for one person camping the 442 does just fine.

cheers,
george.

Stove refurbish

Coleman gas lantern refurbish

Sure, be glad to. Whatever I have learned started with these 2 guys. One for white gas Stoves & one for white gas Lanterns. A bunch of videos out there but these 2 guys are very good, to the point w/o a bunch of nonsense.

Especially the Lantern guy, he tells you what chemicals to use…vinegar, Napa Jelly for rust etc etc. Not positive but I believe this guy at one time owned Old Coleman Parts. A extremely good supplier of Coleman parts needed for some rebuilds.

You can’t really screw these stove or lanterns up…at least not beyond repair when you figure what you screwed up. Pretty simple & pretty basic. Almost like working on a LandCruiser…if you can follow the instructions on a good YouTube, you can accomplish almost any task.

Good luck & if you ever have a specific question I can assist with…always here!

Good share, thanks. Lantern Guy has good taste in bench vises too.

^^^

Yeppers…AND the lantern guy spent 20+ years in the USMC.🇺🇸 He was a CWO.🇺🇸🎯🇺🇸

hey I know this is the COLEMAN thread, but anybody got any love for the old Bernzomatic stuff? I know they still make torches for light brazing etc but back in the 50s and 60s they apparently branched out into lanterns and stoves. Anybody on the thread here ever picked up any of them?

So I just got this off craigslist for half of asking. I think the round gold tank makes it early 1950s. Been wanting one of these and it seems in good shape. No pressure at the pump as the leather is very dry. I'll soak tonight and try tomorrow. There was a bit of fuel in it along with some air hiss when I cracked open the fuel cap. Valve moves freely with just a bit of pressure. up down lever also moving freely. Assuming I can get the tank pressurized after soaking the leather, any reason why I can't try and light this one? thanks in advance all you Coleman experts. No seriously you guys are great at this.

1648233210160.png

So I just got this off craigslist for half of asking. I think the round gold tank makes it early 1950s. Been wanting one of these and it seems in good shape. No pressure at the pump as the leather is very dry. I'll soak tonight and try tomorrow. There was a bit of fuel in it along with some air hiss when I cracked open the fuel cap. Valve moves freely with just a bit of pressure. up down lever also moving freely. Assuming I can get the tank pressurized after soaking the leather, any reason why I can't try and light this one? thanks in advance all you Coleman experts. No seriously you guys are great at this.

View attachment 2962395
Before trying to light it and once you've soaked thd leather cup, pressurize it, open the valve and keep on eye on the end to see if fuel is spitting out in a mist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom