What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (66 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got to figure out exactly what I bought yesterday. 91 Land Cruiser 175,000 miles, inline 6, full time 4x4, needs some repair with starter and fuel issues. Other than that, seems to be fine.
P.S. I think I posted this in the right place.

I've got to figure out exactly what I bought yesterday. 91 Land Cruiser 175,000 miles, inline 6, full time 4x4, needs some repair with starter and fuel issues. Other than that, seems to be fine.
You did. And you have a lot of fun in front of you figuring it out! Ask questions when needed, read a lot.

Welcome to the addiction - best bet is to post an introduction thread with a description and pics of your new purchase. From there, let us know in that new thread where you need help and everyone will jump in.

New OEM antenna bling. Tune in Tokyo!

IMG_2121.JPG

Would you shoot at a deer or elk at 600 yards sitting without a tripod or some other kind of rest?

I practice for hunting and I always have a tripod when I am hunting and I will always take the most ethical shot that I can when hunting.
I probably wouldn't shoot something as big as an elk at 600. I also tend to shoot paper out to 1,200 because I'm lazy and don't want to haul quarters out of the bush.
- but this is all a discussion for a different forum!

Epic annual Rubicon trip, ran into @baldilocks @ lil Sluce and he made sure my rig got thru...It was finally nice to put a face to the name. Brother's JK broke a track bar mount on the axle at the top of Cadillac Hill, so luckily our crew got a portable welder and got him moving again. Cruiser held up a 900 miles round trip with just a busted alternator belt and a small door ding when I slip off a big rock and got the rear pass. door above the slider. Can't wait to go back next year.
20210809_091252.jpg
20210809_094515.jpg
20210811_110850.jpg
20210809_134148.jpg
Screenshot_20210812-124003_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Re-mounted by $99 dollar NAPA awning today.
Originally I tried using the supplied bracket to clamp the roof rails, but since they aren't square this was not ideal.
When re-mounting I drilled holes in the cross bars. Much better look I think and much easier to deploy the awning.

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0786.jpeg

Installed the NAPA 8' x 8' awning.
Thought it was a good deal for 99.99 + 10% off and shipped to the house in a couple of days.
I don't love how it mounted to the factory roof rails because it is angled down slightly. Will likely change the mounting at some point.

View attachment 2756404

View attachment 2756405

View attachment 2756406
I just picked up one of these as well, since there was a backorder on ARB. I’m impressed, especially for $100.
8D25DA09-9839-4021-A6E3-8C2E4448FEFA.jpeg

Welcome to the addiction - best bet is to post an introduction thread with a description and pics of your new purchase. From there, let us know in that new thread where you need help and everyone will jump in.
I'll wash her up and take some pictures. Then delve into the electrical issues (starter, fuel pump) then find out exactly what I need to ask.
P.S. Thanks for the welcome!

Which RTT are you guys running? looks like a super fun trip
Thanks! Fun trip for sure. @ExpoMax made his own custom GFC replica tent and I bought a Freespirit Odyssey. I won’t speak for Maxs tent but as far as mine I like that for off the shelf this tent can be mounted straight to the gutter rails using some basic gutter clamps so I’m not running a roof rack. And the tent is super light like 120 pounds I wanna say so I honestly really can’t feel it on the roof compared to my previous CVT tent on a bowfin rack. My two complaints with the Freespirit is the mattress sucks it needs a topper and because of the way it collapses down it doesn’t allow any room to keep blankets or pillows up there which is a really big drawback for me. Other then that the build quality is top notch and Freespirit is super cool to work with I had the tent within a week of ordering and were super responsive to all of my questions

Thanks! Fun trip for sure. @ExpoMax made his own custom GFC replica tent and I bought a Freespirit Odyssey. I won’t speak for Maxs tent but as far as mine I like that for off the shelf this tent can be mounted straight to the gutter rails using some basic gutter clamps so I’m not running a roof rack. And the tent is super light like 120 pounds I wanna say so I honestly really can’t feel it on the roof compared to my previous CVT tent on a bowfin rack. My two complaints with the Freespirit is the mattress sucks it needs a topper and because of the way it collapses down it doesn’t allow any room to keep blankets or pillows up there which is a really big drawback for me. Other then that the build quality is top notch and Freespirit is super cool to work with I had the tent within a week of ordering and were super responsive to all of my questions
Awesome. Did you end up getting the 49 or 55"? I see you got rid of your Bowfin and just running gutter mounts, can you share your thoughts on that?
Thanks for sharing Andrew.

Awesome. Did you end up getting the 49 or 55"? I see you got rid of your Bowfin and just running gutter mounts, can you share your thoughts on that?
Thanks for sharing Andrew.

I got the 49inch. I wanna say the exterior dimension is 53 inches which could not be more perfect for mounting to the gutter mounts. Honestly the 49 inch i think is enough room for two people I like how it opens as a square so two people can fully sit up in it which I think is a advantaged compared to the A frame design.

My last CVT was a 55 inch and just personal preference but I hated overhang look. That coupled with my black truck and then a black bowfin rack, and a big bulky black tent and aesthetically I didn’t really like the look. On top of that I could feel the bowfin with the CVT a lot more in the corners compared to this Freespirit. I am of the opinion 80s driving characteristics drastically decrease as the weight on the roof goes up I think it effects driving charctersitics more then just about anything else so loosing a 100 pound rack was a priority to me and made a big difference.

As far as the bowfin rack with the CVT tent I will say the wind deflector on the front of the bowfin rack makes a big difference for straight headwinds the lack of a wind deflector on the freespirit and in direct headwinds I can feel the air getting trapped under the tent and feeling like a weight. If i end up keeping the tent I will definitely be fabbing up some wind deflector. I am debating gutting the interior and making it a liveable space and thats why I would end up getting rid of the tent

Here are a couple more up close pics of the Freespirit
1E6158D3-E085-4B79-80A2-18F98B36C359.jpeg

01C4AC01-3746-4B04-9B3E-D00E55BCFDB8.jpeg

And my old settup for comparsion sake
6343033F-AB20-401C-9080-4EEC40EC9F8C.jpeg

3DC274BF-603F-4269-A6C5-A9E51D5F2125.jpeg

I got the 49inch. I wanna say the exterior dimension is 53 inches which could not be more perfect for mounting to the gutter mounts. Honestly the 49 inch i think is enough room for two people I like how it opens as a square so two people can fully sit up in it which I think is a advantaged compared to the A frame design.

My last CVT was a 55 inch and just personal preference but I hated overhang look. That coupled with my black truck and then a black bowfin rack, and a big bulky black tent and aesthetically I didn’t really like the look. On top of that I could feel the bowfin with the CVT a lot more in the corners compared to this Freespirit. I am of the opinion 80s driving characteristics drastically decrease as the weight on the roof goes up I think it effects driving charctersitics more then just about anything else so loosing a 100 pound rack was a priority to me and made a big difference.

As far as the bowfin rack with the CVT tent I will say the wind deflector on the front of the bowfin rack makes a big difference for straight headwinds the lack of a wind deflector on the freespirit and in direct headwinds I can feel the air getting trapped under the tent and feeling like a weight. If i end up keeping the tent I will definitely be fabbing up some wind deflector. I am debating gutting the interior and making it a liveable space and thats why I would end up getting rid of the tent

Here are a couple more up close pics of the Freespirit
View attachment 2757759
View attachment 2757760

And my old settup for comparsion sake
View attachment 2757761

View attachment 2757764
thanks for sharing Andrew. Definitely very informative. I am not a big fan of extra weight on the roof, so if i go this route, i might just get rid of the bowfin and do the gutter mount on a 49", but for now, ground tent is fine for 99% of what i do and keeping the rig relatively light is key.

20210811_093939.jpg

Met up with @Broski in Ouray, CO and hit some trails. Ophir, Imogene, Silver Lakes, and Poughkeepsie were highlights for their views. Thanks for showing us the good lines and welcoming our family Richard. We had a great time and plan to return soon.

783593C7-E7E3-4C58-B424-48B4DE3547FA.jpeg

BA4F7B01-3D7E-48B4-8E5B-667ECEEAD791.jpeg

EDE18AAA-0750-43E8-9349-D60C80F97BA5.jpeg

00DCB993-6F7F-410F-946E-733CC851A624.jpeg

132C9D07-0398-49AB-98A4-BB5574A13024.jpeg

C30D641A-7989-4C2F-9F3C-66C3837A1837.jpeg

68E86F1D-E310-433B-B962-16DB299F4D63.jpeg

BCE1122A-D862-41A0-8058-80D1BA0636C4.jpeg

2566B540-0CAD-4DBC-8B8B-5A1DF8CEF343.jpeg

E15FF8F8-F279-42D3-AB69-ED1A07480EF6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back