What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (69 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Met up with @Broski in Ouray, CO and hit some trails. Ophir, Imogene, Silver Lakes, and Poughkeepsie were highlights for their views. Thanks for showing us the good lines and welcoming our family Richard. We had a great time and plan to return soon.

View attachment 2757849

View attachment 2757850

View attachment 2757851

View attachment 2757852

View attachment 2757853

View attachment 2757854

View attachment 2757855

View attachment 2757856

View attachment 2757857

View attachment 2757858
Really nice pictures Ron. We had a great time wheeling all week with you and your family.

Met up with @Broski in Ouray, CO and hit some trails. Ophir, Imogene, Silver Lakes, and Poughkeepsie were highlights for their views. Thanks for showing us the good lines and welcoming our family Richard. We had a great time and plan to return soon.
Is the left route on the wall the best? I usually hit this on 2 wheels and wasn't sure if there is a best route lol. Came down it a few weeks back trying to see if I could get to Ouray on the side by side but no luck. I ended up going down the right side on the belly of the Polaris.
Good to know you could at least see the view. Smoke has been really bad here from the west coast fires this year.

Is the left route on the wall the best? I usually hit this on 2 wheels and wasn't sure if there is a best route lol. Came down it a few weeks back trying to see if I could get to Ouray on the side by side but no luck. I ended up going down the right side on the belly of the Polaris.
Good to know you could at least see the view. Smoke has been really bad here from the west coast fires this year.
The left side of the Wall has a shelf near the bottom, off camber at the top, and is steeper than the right side, making it more difficult. One truck impacted the rocks while we were there, breaking glass and damaging the D pillar slightly.

The right side has 2 lines. The left line has a hole in the middle that tends to suck in the right rear tire, lifting the front left. It’s not bad if you avoid the hole, which is shown in the picture directly below my truck. The far right line is what most people chose.

While we were hanging out at the Wall only 4 trucks attempted the left side. 1 didn’t make it, 1 took damage on the right side line, 1 made the far left line and @Broski made his center line look easy.

A dozen trucks chose the right side of the wall while we were there. Those without lockers needed a tug to get up. Most locked trucks made it up if they didn’t fall in the hole. Even with the left front wheel in the air, the risk of flopping over and back to the right is minimal since the right rear tire is firmly planted on the ground.

We got really lucky having nice clear views of the mountains. Most days started sunny, then clouded up dropping the hot temperatures to the mid-70’s, then some light rain would fall knocking down the dust and smoke.

061AA7D8-1553-417C-A014-CA1E449488DF.png

Last edited:
Nice, the wall tears up a lot of vehicles. I dropped in a bit early before the crowd grew so didn’t get to see the show. There was a broken down grand Cherokee that seemed to blow out his TC a few weeks back at the top. I always cheat and hit what I think your calling the hole on the bike but having to deal with two lines and a wide body is a whole other animal. Doubt I will ever take the 80 up it but you never know.

Doubt I will ever take the 80 up it but you never know.
The wall isn’t that bad if you’re locked and straddle the hole, staying just to the right of it.

Last edited:

View attachment 2757849

View attachment 2757850

View attachment 2757851

View attachment 2757852

View attachment 2757853

View attachment 2757854

View attachment 2757855

View attachment 2757856

View attachment 2757857

View attachment 2757858
I was just in that area a couple weeks ago from Ohio and did most of those trails. As you said the views are amazing.

@Broski where do you store your spare?

View attachment 2757849

View attachment 2757850

View attachment 2757851

View attachment 2757852

View attachment 2757853

View attachment 2757854

View attachment 2757855

View attachment 2757856

View attachment 2757857

View attachment 2757858
Looks amazing! I’ll be there next week 👍

@Broski where do you store your spare?
Under the the metal cage, accessible with out moving any of the camping gear that's on top
1628947242667.png

Or one day trips out of base camp run it like this, if the tail gate is up it cant move.
1628947505188.png

Designed to keep a low center of gravity, without weight cantilevered over the back.

@Broski @Road Apple let me know if you’d be up to hitting those trails again soon. I’ll be through there around the 24th.
Thank you asking @musthave! Our family is back in California with school starting for the kid. I wish those trails were closer. Those mountains are a favorite place to wander and explore. They make the Sierras look like foot hills in comparison. Have a great trip. Here’s a map of many of the trails.

D52216D6-8C9A-407D-914E-9360D5B7DF8A.jpeg

Here’s a couple more maps of the area @musthave. This FunTreks map is worth buying. If you don’t know the trails, like us, it can be easy to take a wrong turn without it. There are signs, but many only show basins rather than specific trail names. Some trails are marked with numbers only. It’s a mishmash of signs old and new.

We aired down to 17 psi for a smoother ride, but 25 psi would be good for most trails and obstacles. Lots of side-by-sides, rented Jeeps, and tour “cattle cars”. You’ll need to keep an eye out for conflicting traffic on the narrow sections. Drivers were very kind about pulling to the side and waiting.

Gnarly Taco in Telluride had a wide variety of tasty tacos ! Great locals place a block off the main drag.

We ate breakfast many times at the Artisan Bakery and Cafe in Ouray, which has good pastries, breakfast sandwiches, fresh bread, and lunch. Get there early before they run out. There’s a line all morning.

More good Ouray restaurants.
Maggie’s Kitchen for burgers. Weird hours though.
Full Tilt Saloon gets good reviews for their food.
Avoid the Thai food. Mediocre at best.

E2357C72-3CDA-44F9-BC83-6FA2E90A0761.jpeg

7989B06D-7CE9-4683-BFEB-20C63CC05299.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 2757849

View attachment 2757850

View attachment 2757851

View attachment 2757852

View attachment 2757853

View attachment 2757854

View attachment 2757855

View attachment 2757856

View attachment 2757857

View attachment 2757858
Check out @15:50 in the venture4wd video from 8/14.
Cant seem to post links here.

Finally got around to sorting out my heater control issue. Selector wouldn’t go all the way over to cold, and when put on hot it wouldn’t blow hot unless I physically opened the heater control valve under the hood. Found the blue sheath was fouling on the clip rather than being secured by it, quick adjustment and now heater / ac control is back in order.

8CAA6CD1-51F5-4A35-9F48-9BB4B272529D.jpeg

I was just in that area a couple weeks ago from Ohio and did most of those trails. As you said the views are amazing.
Easy peasy, I think you could have went up that line with no lockers 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom