Hold on to your 100 series, fellas, don't make the same mistake I did. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't learn my lesson when i sold my 97 6spd Supra Turbo. Now when i want to buy another one it's 3X what i sold mine for. I think soon, clean, well kept 100s will be absurdly expensive like the MKIV Supras too.
Plus it gets 18-20 mpg running on KO2’s with a V8, and has a kick ass sound system.

View attachment 2717833

I had considered a GX, it's on my list of next vehicle. I might be crazy but the side profile view, the way the fender well arches up in the back, looks really odd to me, something i need to get used to. if you look at a 100, the fender arch are even front and rear, same with a 4runner, but the gx, it like sticks up in the back for some reason. what size are those tires 265/70/17?

As much as I love my 100series I don’t think I’ll be going in the 200 direction for a trail & offroad rig. Capable but Wide-heavy- and now too expensive

I want to drive one of these new Sasquatch Broncos

I never understood the misconception about the 200 over the 100 . The 200 is 1.6 inches wider and about 160 pounds heavier it is 4 inches longer on the same wheelbase. I started out before buying looking at 80's then 100's and landed on a 200 series. The difference is minimal. The cost overlaps a lot between all three. Now back to your regular thread.

I never understood the misconception about the 200 over the 100 . The 200 is 1.6 inches wider and about 160 pounds heavier it is 4 inches longer on the same wheelbase. I started out before buying looking at 80's then 100's and landed on a 200 series. The difference is minimal. The cost overlaps a lot between all three. Now back to your regular thread.
I agree. The difference is marginal. I've seen 200's do some seriously impressive stuff on the trail.

I get mixed reviews as I search opinions on Hundys versus 2Hundys. If prices didn’t deter me enough already, Im beginning to think I may just like lookimg at 2Hundys maybe more than owning one. I do think they can be mighty cool looking. But luv the 1 Hundys looking and owning.

I get mixed reviews as I search opinions on Hundys versus 2Hundys. If prices didn’t deter me enough already, Im beginning to think I may just like lookimg at 2Hundys maybe more than owning one. I do think they can be mighty cool looking. But luv the 1 Hundys looking and owning.
Your right. The 100 tends to lead in a lot the non-quantifiable subjective categories.

Real talk. As much as I love 100s, they break trying to follow my 200.

I'v done the same exact thing with some of my older, classic BMW's and majorly regret it.

I've considered selling the 100 a few times but I know I will instantly regret it. Damn this markets temptations.

When I have thoughts about the 100 series market returning to earth, I think about how rust-free 1st gen Tacoma and 3rd gen 4Runner prices were high well before the covid market craze hit. Seems like there are always some Toyota models that have a cult following that defies gravity.

The problem is they look a lot bigger than a hundred series, especially in pictures, and that leads to mental block issues.

A 100 series is pretty much a 200 wearing spanx and strong yoga pants. Looks smaller, but when you get the tape measure out, all that fat is still there.... If buying trucks was the same process as internet dating, 100 and 200 series cruisers would be catfishing the 💩 out of people with pictures and specs of 80 series.... Instagram would have an 80 series filter for sure

A long time ago Ian @SNLC posted somewhere on something about toyota ruining the tacoma after he drove a 3rd gen. I completely agree with that, they keep making them bigger in every way. I miss the days when a tacoma wasn't bigger than a 1st gen tundra and a 4runner was narrower than an 80 series. I get that they have to do it for safety features, MPG and keeping up with crappy styling trends, but it sucks still. Cruisers are less dramatic, but the comfort, safety and style market sucks for my taste.

A good example of crap style changes, look at a 1st gen 4runner front bumper - its not much different than an fj40 bumper. Then, look at a 5th gen 4runner front bumper.... its a monstrosity that looks like a pug's face. You can build a nice looking low profile tube front bumper for a 1st gen 4runner that weighs 50lbs with a winch plate, looks great. By the time you armor up the front of a 5th gen it looks like a pug in mad max garb and weighs 200 extra lbs.

200 series vs 100 series isn't as dramatic, but its getting there. Wait for the next cruiser....

The problem is they look a lot bigger than a hundred series, especially in pictures, and that leads to mental block issues.
To me the hundy looks taller and leaner than the 2hundy. Without measurements, the side windows look shorter and doors larger on the 2hundy, which I don't like. I like the larger black windows on the hundy. But I do remember the day in about 1998 thinking I did not like the look of the hundy and how the window switches on the door were positioned less comforting. I thought then that the hundy looked like the Explorer. But I sho like the hundy now. Glad I have a hundy fleet because I won't be able to ever afford another one.

Your right. The 100 tends to lead in a lot the non-quantifiable subjective categories.

Real talk. As much as I love 100s, they break trying to follow my 200.
Just curious, what's breaking on the 100s that try to follow you? Is it just old/worn parts that are breaking or are you saying the 200's parts are more robust?

Just curious, what's breaking on the 100s that try to follow you? Is it just old/worn parts that are breaking or are you saying the 200's parts are more robust?
Front diffs. The Achilles heel of the 100. Weak case and carrier. Even the 4 pinion.

lower control arms where the tbars attach. And the front diff. Both of which are fairly easy to solve, I don’t think they should be a factor in not getting a 100, otherwise they are solid.

That said, the torsion bars up front, and front suspension in general, of the 100 is extremely limiting. They should get what the 200 got. I’m fine with IFS but torsion bars are the worst and a lifted 100 doesn’t hold water compared to a lifted 200

lower control arms where the tbars attach. And the front diff. Both of which are fairly easy to solve, I don’t think they should be a factor in not getting a 100, otherwise they are solid.

That said, the torsion bars up front, and front suspension in general, of the 100 is extremely limiting. They should get what the 200 got. I’m fine with IFS but torsion bars are the worst and a lifted 100 doesn’t hold water compared to a lifted 200
Especially if you add these to a 200... OEM long travel😎

tempImage1MgwSW.png

How much droop do you get (hub center to fender inches) on a 200 with the LT mod?

I dunno yet. I just got the LCAs in today. Hopefully ill have the rest of the parts here within the next week or so. I hear 12" of travel😎

I dunno yet. I just got the LCAs in today. Hopefully ill have the rest of the parts here within the next week or so. I hear 12" of travel😎

Got ya. Interested to hear the results.

How much droop do you get (hub center to fender inches) on a 200 with the LT mod?
But you had me curious so I just went and mesured my current "lifted"setup. Its approximately
23" HTF at my normal ride height with 3" of droop.

I didn't learn my lesson when i sold my 97 6spd Supra Turbo. Now when i want to buy another one it's 3X what i sold mine for. I think soon, clean, well kept 100s will be absurdly expensive like the MKIV Supras too.

I had considered a GX, it's on my list of next vehicle. I might be crazy but the side profile view, the way the fender well arches up in the back, looks really odd to me, something i need to get used to. if you look at a 100, the fender arch are even front and rear, same with a 4runner, but the gx, it like sticks up in the back for some reason. what size are those tires 265/70/17?
Yes, 265 70 17 on TRD Pro wheels with no spacers needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom